• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidou tech for Jigglypuff

MugiwaraNoPurin

Smash Rookie
Okay guys, here is the deal.

First of all I want to say that a few days ago, I found out Jigglypuff was at the bottom of the tier list. It was already bad enough that Jigglypuff is a low tier character. But now according to the list, it is the worst character. I don't know if we should just ignore this list, but it seems like Jigglypuff players are losing a lot more than players with other characters. Something has to be done and it seems like Nintendo is going to give Jigglypuff any buffs. Every time I am trying to find a new main, I fail because Jigglypuff is a unique character to control and others just don't feel right if you are a Jigglypuff main. I either main Jigglypuff or I quit SSB4. But before quitting, I have found something interesting.

So a friend of mine gave me a link of something called Bidou Tech. You have to set the second/right stick of your controller to Special Move. If you hold down another Special Move button, the stick you've assigned to Special Move will turn into a directional input that will register for one frame. It takes a lot of time to master these techniques but this will give you the opportunity to use several unique techniques that may come handy in actual battles. Please watch the video. Here is the link:

Bidou Tech - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk

I don't know what is useful for Jigglypuff. But for me, I try to give as many backair as I can, so I think the Reverse Aerial Rush (6:27 on the video) will come in handy. Also, the Full Aerial Momentum Control (6:55) on the video is a step after the Reverse Aerial. Instant Ledge Trump (4:37) didn't work for me. Maybe I didn't perform it well enough. But that also seem useful.

I am sharing this video in hope that we can all find out what is useful for Jigglypuff. Maybe true combo's can be given using these techniques.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
that's eventhubs lol, dont take that seriously. Community voted with an absurd system. It's not a usable tier list. That said, I feel like puff doesnt benefit a bunch from Bidou.

me quazzy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9401-0113
To be honest, you'd probably be better off practicing with what you have rather than changing your whole scheme for Bidou.
Puff doesn't really benefit from it other than instant reversing.
It's safe to say we're the worst though if we don't include Mii Swordfighter or Mii Gunner.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
The ease of perfect pivots using bidou might help with PP u-tilts, which are really good for when your opponent is just out of normal up-tilt range. Up tilt is one of our best tools imo, with it leading into rest at early percent (even at kill percent on some) and killing at high percents, unfortunately it has terrible range. Perfect pivots do a lot to help this, and even open up the door to jab>jab>ppU-tilt as a mixup option.

Even with bidou i would still consider jiggs the worst character, tho. If people start being able to pull off dair>rest and sourspot fair>rest consistently in tournament then maybe that will change, but i dont see it happening..

Last edited:

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the process of learning bidou for PP uptilts, PP jabs, ledge trumps, and other assorted stuff (instant crouching from shield/spotdodge, instant running spotdodge, instant dash attack from crouch, dash attack spam at ledge). It's quite easy for me to implement since I generally use a button for aerials, but I lament at losing easy uptilts with stick.

The worst aspects of using bidou for Jiggs right now, personally, are:
1) If you press a direction and button at the same time when doing technical inputs, you will often input a smash instead of a tilt because stick tilting is hard and the input buffer loves smashes. For this reason I think if you're consistent with regular PP, PP uptilt might be better off with left stick to pivot and right to tilt.
2) If you use a Pro controller like I do, the rubber structure of the left triggers seem prone to dropping bidou for like a frame and repressing, which turns into a special input. Having a Rollout or Rest pop up spontaneously is unacceptable. Maybe it's my controller, but I feel a more tactile/notched trigger like the GC's would be better in this case.

Last edited:

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the process of learning bidou for PP uptilts, PP jabs, ledge trumps, and other assorted stuff. It's quite easy for me to implement since I generally use a button for aerials, but I lament at losing easy uptilts with stick.

The worst aspects of using bidou for Jiggs right now, personally, are:
1) If you press a direction and button at the same time when doing technical inputs, you will often input a smash instead of a tilt because stick tilting is hard and the input buffer loves smashes. For this reason I think if you're consistent with regular PP, PP uptilt might be better off with left stick to pivot and right to tilt.
2) If you use a Pro controller like I do, the rubber structure of the left triggers seem prone to dropping bidou for like a frame and repressing, which turns into a special input. Having a Rollout or Rest pop up spontaneously is unacceptable. Maybe it's my controller, but I feel a more tactile/notched trigger like the GC's would be better in this case.
Definitely keep us posted! Im interested in doing it myself but I dont want to make any commitments until I hear from some others on whether or not its worth the effort.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
1. Don't use Eventscrubs. Ever.

2. Bidou is most useful for ground based characters/players. In other words, Jiggs is probably the character that gets the absolute least from Bidou. It could help do some cool things, but I think it's overall not worth it.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
2. Bidou is most useful for ground based characters/players. In other words, Jiggs is probably the character that gets the absolute least from Bidou. It could help do some cool things, but I think it's overall not worth it.

Well more specifically I think it's the best for characters that get a lot from perfect pivoting, and that don't rely very heavily on tilt stick airiels. Generally speaking that would be ground based characters like Mac, but I think that even tho we are an air based character we benefit greatly from micro spacing on the ground because of the terrible range of our otherwise very useful up tilt, and because of our otherwise TERRIBLE run speed and turn around out of dash. Also, while tilt stick airiels I guess CAN be good for us, I personally don't find a whole lot of use for them. The lingering hitboxes, our airiel acceleration, and the fact that we generally DONT land after throwing an airiels because of our many jumps, all adds up to us not really needing that extra little ease of spacing in the air that someone like marth might want.

We have an easy time spacing in the air as is, its our ground spacing game that lacks. Bidou might just be the boost we need. Again, all theory tho *shrugs*

Last edited:

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
What exactly isn't "worth it", though? What is your tradeoff; having to learn new controls? You can still fully control movement when using aerials (it's kinda hard though for me still), so I don't understand what you'd mean. The fact that our ground movement is so bad to begin with should only strengthen the argument that methods to improve grounded spacing are useful.

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
I love it when people theorycraft about a tech that has no benefit whatsoever for a trash tier character.

Jigglypuff... is like that shunned Deity that you worship on alone from the deepest of your underground basement. Unseen from the public eye.

MugiwaraNoPurin

Smash Rookie
So we all have no hope until Jigglypuff gets buffed? Or are we just whining and it is not about the character, but about the player, meaning that we all just suck?

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
What's that?

Couldn't hear you from the sound of fewer startup frames reversals of every other characters ever.
Every other character couldnt hear the sound of our start up frames over the sound of their own death screams B)

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
What's that?

Couldn't hear you from the sound of fewer startup frames reversals of every other characters ever.
What does this even mean?

TurboPikachu

Wall of Pain
NNID
HyperChu
3DS FC
3394-3547-7986
that's eventhubs lol, dont take that seriously. Community voted with an absurd system. It's not a usable tier list. That said, I feel like puff doesnt benefit a bunch from Bidou.
But she's also second-last on the official one. It is an established majority opinion that Jigglypuff is truly the worst character in the game. I find it funny, because I have a highly positive Win/Loss record as Jigglypuff, but have barely even (and often negative) Win/Loss records as better characters such as Dr. Mario, Kirby, and Pikachu.

Puff is serving me well in Smash 4

Last edited:

MugiwaraNoPurin

Smash Rookie
But she's also second-last on the official one. It is an established majority opinion that Jigglypuff is truly the worst character in the game. I find it funny, because I have a highly positive Win/Loss record as Jigglypuff, but have barely even (and often negative) Win/Loss records as better characters such as Dr. Mario, Kirby, and Pikachu.

Puff is serving me well in Smash 4
I also have a higher ratio of win/loss with Online for Glory. But if I play against skilled players, I get combo'ed everywhere and sometimes die at 80% whereas other people die at 130% if I'm lucky to hit with neutral air. I know I am limited as there aren't many true combo's with Jiggly, no easy kills (throw kills), successful Rests get punished

Top Bottom