• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BestBuy luanch Brawl results

Crash02

Smash Rookie
Deadly Alliance and The Empire Brawl for New York.

Early 2008 Nintendo and Best Buy joined forces to plan the launch of the most anticipated game of the year for the Nintendo Wii; That game is “Super Smash Brothers Brawl !!!” The event was originally slated for February but was delayed for a number of unconfirmed reasons by Nintendo. The event however would involve 4 cities throughout the United States; hosting as regional qualifiers for the National Grand Finals which would be held on the launch day in The Empire State, New York City.

As March 1st, came into view, Boston crowned Daniel “Korean DJ” Jung as the Boston regional champion. Korean DJ, an accomplished Super Smash Brothers Melee player in MLG defeated Deadly Alliance’s Compton who place 2nd at the Boston regional finals. The message was clear for D.A., the time for the last chance to qualify would be in New York City. D.A. knew that the Empire State regional championship would be the most difficult. D.A. would have to bring out the remaining roster to have a chance at taking home the gold in New York.

The Regional Championship, along with the National Finals and the launch of the game would all take place at the NoHo Best Buy on Broadway in New York City.

On Thursday night, TriForce along with Jeron, Ishmael and Rex all camped out in the front of Best Buy. With complications to match TriForce had to return to his retail gaming store in the Bronx while Jeron and Rex held the line until he returned. With the event starting on Saturday at 5pm the Empire knew that they had a long wait ahead of them. As Friday turned in, it began to rain and put a damper on the Empire’s party. That did not stop them from holding the line.

Finally Saturday came into play and Deadly Alliance arrived to compete in the Nintendo/Best Buy Super Smash Brothers Brawl tournament. With TriForce traditionally securing his spot as the number 1 person on line for yet another video game launch event, he along with other members of the Empire decided to reinforce Deadly Alliance’s chance in the tournament due to the large turn out.

With the Tournament capping out at 256 entries it is the largest Nintendo Tournament for the Wii to date. Each state hosted the same number completing the full event at 1,000 tournament entries.

Sign up for the tournament took place around 5pm as the tournament started at 6pm. The Empire and Deadly Alliance combined for a total of 8 players to compete against 248 opponents. It was enough for the Deadly Alliance to take the finals for the Regional. Jensen “Dire” Santiago and Jason “Hell Fox” Herring took 1st and 2nd place for the New York City Regional. Deadly Alliance co-leader Wes took top 8 honors out of 256, while TriForce of Empire Arcadia made it to top 16, taking his only lost in sudden death against D.A.’s Dire.

Now crowned as the New York City Regional Champion, Dire squared off against Daniel Jung in the National Grand Finals. (See Joystiq for video and article). Ultimately in the end Korean DJ took out Dire as Boston takes the 1st National Super Smash Brothers Brawl Championship. Dire along with D.A. and the Empire knows that this is just the beginning of more National championships to come and an even tougher road to win them.

Outside of taking 1st regional and 2nd national, the midnight launch event of the game was still on. TriForce commemorated the launch by endorsing the game as the first gamer to purchase what he believes to be a long awaited game from Nintendo fans spanning over 15 years.

“I knew this moment would come to life ever since Sonic established himself as Mario’s one and only true rival in the video game industry. Finally we get to play out this battle physically as gamers and not through industry sales as Nintendo and or Sega fanboys.” – TriForce

In my personal opinion, I really didn't like the fact the the ENTIRE D.A. crew faced off first match against eachother!! I mean what are the chances of that? I think that we would have had a way better chance of taking it if we had all had the opportunity to fight well into the tourney. I guess someone at BestBuy thought the brackets were broken so they wen't ahead and FIXED them!! There's really nothing I can do though, whats done is done and I think D.A. really did an amazing job for NYC. IDK, let me know what you guys think if you were there, just know that this certainly isn't the end of our road, for the journey is JUST begining for D.A!

- Crash02

visit www.smashguardians.com for more D.A. smash news!

Vash619

Smash Apprentice
I was there it was pretty **** amazing cept' the random rules and I had to play my friends first round so i feel ya pain. Dire it was a sick match much love for the Ike play.

Top Bottom