• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to set up a "fun" tournament?

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
I'm planning on having a tournament next year, and there will be people that have never played smash bros, or that suck. My friends who play and I aren't "good," but we're much better than some people we know. What's the best way to set up a tournament so it's fun for them?

I thought about making a separate bracket for beginners, but realized that would make the final battle ridiculously one sided. How can I include beginners in a tournament, and have it actually be fun for them?

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Ask them what they'd like in terms of rules.

Round robins are also good, because they get to play everyone(if they can't stand losing to "pro" players, then you can hold two separate round robins as well)

Another thing is just doing a standard pool-setup, then put the ones that did best in a pro bracket, and the rest in an amateur bracket. Gives everyone a chance to win and stuff.

ook

Smash Lord
^ I second what he said

For some out-of-the-box ideas...
You could do doubles with random partners (put some names in a hat and pick two). It's sort of an ice breaker to get people talking who don't normally play together (which is fun), and hopefully the bad players will get partnered up with good ones. Even if they don't, it's always fun just to draw names out of a hat.

For singles... I don't know how you or your friends feel about items, but they CAN level out the playing field a bit if you're both inexperienced with them. I love items on. Though some of the more powerful ones (dragoon...) just dominate new players even more, so pick selectively.

If you want more of a standard tournament, just make sure to have plenty of setups for people to play friendlies with each other. That's big.

mmik

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmikleson
Yea I don't really think items would be a good idea. The better players would get more use out of them, and some of the lesser players might just get distracted by them.

I'm not familiar with how round robin works. What if we set up something like each person plays x people, and then the person with the most kills wins? that sounds like a fair way to let the lower skilled players have fun... Not really sure.

D

Deleted member

All Ganondorf Special Brawl
-Metal
-Bunnnyhood
-fixed Camera
-Heavy
-Fast
----------BIG BLUE------------

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Just train them to be better. Items won't benefit them and whatever you do, DON'T turn on Smash Balls. Trust me.

Top Bottom