• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to make a game engine?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
What is the easiest way to develop a game engine? I'm a CS student but unfortunately my school has very limited courses on actual game development. And by easiest, I mean most simple.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm why don't you an existing one? What kind of game are you planning on making? Which language are you planning on using?
I'm not quite familiar with programming game engines, but I'm guessing it would be best to do it in C/C++
If you're just trying to make a game, i've heard pygame works well. Python is a simple language to learn, yet it's quite powerful and not a baby language. I haven't used pygame before though (I havent even touched python in 3 years =\)

good luck! :)

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Yeah as Snoblo say, Python is THE language for games out there.

I tried to try it (LOL at redundancy) but at that time I was too into C++ and then I discovered that C++ > Python if you know what you're doing.

As an example, Age of Empires is in C++.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Ok, so Python is a better language if you don't know either language, but C++ is better if you're learning it anyways?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
C++ is usually used for games because of its sheer speed, but recently Java games have been on the rise as well, usually because of the use of web applets and its speed also (Java used to be really slow, but the new versions are almost as fast as C/C++. Almost =P)

You should stick with a language with which you are familiar, however. What language(s) are you learning in your cs class?

:EDIT:
Oh and also, if I'm not mistaken, most console video games (probably including ssbm) are written in a variant of C i think?

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
I have no idea :laugh:

Probably an RPG to start with.
Ha! good start. There's an online RPG game engine... let's see...

Here

Here

and Here

As you see, there are a LOT of pages (I didn't state all :dizzy:)

If you choose Python, this article is a must

Obviously, there's more game engines, check this list

:EDIT:
Oh and also, if I'm not mistaken, most console video games (probably including ssbm) are written in a variant of C i think?
It should. Every company uses his own language, but they're not starting from zero, isn't crazy to think they use a variant of C nowadays (maybe before they used Pascal or even Assembly!)

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Most things in everyday are programmed in some sort of C, such as cars, microwaves, etc. I once met a CS student at a university and he showed me a car for which he programmed the inner workings with objective C. It was quite amazing! (sorry this is kind of off topic. but not too much =P)

Ok back on topic
Python is a great language and fun to make a game with, but if you want to make a hardcore game, C++ is the way to go. Now, maybe i should go start going back to C++ now, since I left it in the dust 2 years ago when I took a cs class on java. Java is great, but C++ is more intense =]

Oh by the way, Eight Sage, have you ever made an online rpg or used an engine? How do they actually work? I tried making my own mini online rpg game with sockets and a thread for each user (thats a bad idea i think hehe), and sending string objects to the server and back to the clients. I don't think that's how It's supposed to be done, but I didn't know what to do =\. Any ideas?

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
Oh by the way, Eight Sage, have you ever made an online rpg or used an engine? How do they actually work? I tried making my own mini online rpg game with sockets and a thread for each user (thats a bad idea i think hehe), and sending string objects to the server and back to the clients. I don't think that's how It's supposed to be done, but I didn't know what to do =\. Any ideas?
That's an excellent way to start. But I've never made an online RPG :( So I guess I can't help you on that. What you say make sense though.

And I forgot to ask If RagingAsian have some kind of knowledge on programming, but I recommend to follow the online Rpg sites I stated before. It saves time.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Well I just made it for the learning experience. There's no way i could host some sort of online game 24/7, even if people WANTED to play the game haha =P And plus, i doubt my 'server' (aka laptop) can handle many users anyway (the highest i tested was 4). But at least i learned alot about networking and multi-threading and stuff. =]

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Um, most of my experience lies with Java. I'm learning html and Javascript, but I have no intent on mastering those or using them for gaming applications.

I actually tried installing the demo of the Explorations, but it keeps crashing on me (it's probably my computer). I'll probably just end up looking for an open source engine and then try to figure out how the basic rpg elements are implemented and go from there.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
ooh cool! I made my online rpg with java also! =D If you need any help, I can try to help (I'm no expert though =P)

Top Bottom