• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to handle Falcon

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
Hey I have had trouble with the falcon mu. Please help!

I am getting naired and grabbed to bits. A conservative falcon is so tough to approach!

Last edited:

AUS

Smash Cadet
Hmm, so from what your saying is you need a good way to approach. Personally I like to approach as Wolf with Nair or Dair, dont use Dash Attack unless you see a clear opening since as good as Wolf's Dash Attack is it can be punished hard. Be fast and stay on top of Falcon because when Falcon is winning in Neutral one knee and your out of there. Just keep applying the pressure, Dair is very good mainly because Falcon doesn't really have a good anti air when your coming straight down at him, usually once I do a dair I L-Cancel so I can get a shine in which can lead to some good combos afterwards. Hope this helps.

SuperCoffeeBros

Hey there I really appreciate your reply. The falcon just grabs me out of nair shines, and one grab from falcon is generally death. Also he nairs through my shield and runs, even pivoting (jabs and tilts) is not very effective - it feels like. I am hitting a block wall with shuffled aerial shines. Even multi shines are shielded and grabbed from. Maybe I should practice shine grab more?

What is a good finisher set up as well. When I can get a dair chase, I can't always rely on the flash to finish. I know bair is good but it is pretty tough out of shine at higher %'s (sends him too far).

Laser camping feels pointless. Falcons nair goes right through them and ends up hitting me with the late hit.

I feel like the MU is unwinnable at times, but I am sure it is just frustration.

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Firstly, you should probably go check out the Falcon vs Wolf Matchup thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/captain-falcon-vs-wolf-matchup-thread.369731/

From what it sounds like, you need to perfect your OOS game. Starts using shines OOS to punish Falcon whenever he uses aerials on your shield; if he's fading back with them like you're saying you should be able to wavedash out of your shield and punish him (you shouldn't be in much shield stun).

Wavelanded blasters are very good against Falcon, he shouldn't be able to N-air all of them, if you manage to hit him with a few you should be able to follow up with a smash or grab. If he shields just grab him - against Falcon you really just want him off-stage asap, yes it's lame but it's the most efficient method - throw him off-stage and d-air him, or grab ledge; basically react accordingly. Falcon's recovery isn't very good.

Also the match-up is heavily in Wolf's favor, just use waveshines to carry him off-stage. Look at the match-up thread for more info.

SuperCoffeeBros

He crosses up my shield very often with nair. I suppose shine oos would be good to learn. I have been working on pivot tilts which I feel would help.

Thank you very much! I realized after I had posted that there was a thread all about it, but thank you for the specifics to my situation!

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
He crosses up my shield very often with nair. I suppose shine oos would be good to learn. I have been working on pivot tilts which I feel would help.

Thank you very much! I realized after I had posted that there was a thread all about it, but thank you for the specifics to my situation!
No problem man. Also if he's crossing up your shield, couldn't you just jump out of shield and b-air him? Or just run up and grab him? I feel like there should be quite a lot of options to counter this approach.

Top Bottom