• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to approach as woman marth?

(at the beginning of matches)
i usually find myself grabbing, down throwing, and bair-ing (if they air dodge, i down throw again, then fsmash) although there are probably much better ways of doing this
i've also learned that starting with a fair (even if you land it) is typically unsafe
post below ways you start matches with lucina!

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
(at the beginning of matches)
i usually find myself grabbing, down throwing, and bair-ing (if they air dodge, i down throw again, then fsmash) although there are probably much better ways of doing this
i've also learned that starting with a fair (even if you land it) is typically unsafe
post below ways you start matches with lucina!
I may not be the best person to be giving advice, but I'll do my best.

One suggestion on spacing is doing a SH NAir, you can space properly with this. If it hits your opponents shield, you can retreat as they'd most likely go for a grab or other move with priority. I also do this with FAir occasionally as well, since you have tons of aerial mobility during FAir and NAir, as you can approach and space with these tools and then retreat. DTilt is your friend as well, since it can shield poke if the shield is small enough, and if spaced correctly; it can beat out rolls.

Another way to approach I believe is with a sliding jab. To perform this, you need to be walking, then afterwards. Let go for the Control Stick and press Jab. You'll slide slightly and you can I think approach with this, I could be wrong on this. Apologies if this is not the best bit of info I can provide.

Last edited:
One suggestion on spacing is doing a SH NAir, you can space properly with this. If it hits your opponents shield, you can retreat as they'd most likely go for a grab or other move with priority. I also do this with FAir occasionally as well, since you have tons of aerial mobility during FAir and NAir, as you can approach and space with these tools and then retreat. DTilt is your friend as well, since it can shield poke if the shield is small enough, and if spaced correctly; it can beat out rolls.
i'm gonna try to practice this
thanks m8

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
I guess you can try a SH airdodge and throw out a NAir since only the first hit gets out. I usually tempt my opponent with a quick dash dance or an empty SH fastfall and hope they dash at you. If you're facing a character with projectiles, SH airdodge I guess.

Nika

Smash Cadet
I actually approach with fair a lot. I tend to short hop fair and either fade back or keep going past them to cross them up. You can follow fair with side B or up B before you land. I'll usually do up B if I hit the fair since the startup is faster and you get intangibility, or crossup reverse side B if they shield the fair and then drop shield. A lot of people don't know she has moves she can do after short hop fair, so you can catch them off guard.

You can also full hop fair, which sort of functions like fading upward instead of backward. It's safer when there are platforms though, Lucina has a hard time landing so maybe don't do this if there's no platform to break your fall.

Another option, other than the ones people have mentioned, is to run up and immediately do Shield Breaker. If you run, then let go of the joystick and press B at the same time, you can do it with no lag straight out of a dash (it does require you to be in the full run animation though, so you can't do it during the dash startup). You can even B reverse this by pressing the other direction immediately afterward.

It's honestly not a great option since Shield Breaker has such bad endlag, but it's worth keeping in mind since it is her longest-ranged move. And of course if their shield is low enough, you can occasionally still get the shield break, even after the horrible pointless nerf to its shield damage (why, Sakurai).

But yeah, at the start of a match dthrow > uair/bair is pretty much your bread and butter, especially against fast-fallers who you can't combo with fair or Dancing Blade at 0%.

Last edited:

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
I actually approach with fair a lot. I tend to short hop fair and either fade back or keep going past them to cross them up. You can follow fair with side B or up B before you land. I'll usually do up B if I hit the fair since the startup is faster and you get intangibility, or crossup reverse side B if they shield the fair and then drop shield. A lot of people don't know she has moves she can do after short hop fair, so you can catch them off guard.

You can also full hop fair, which sort of functions like fading upward instead of backward. It's safer when there are platforms though, Lucina has a hard time landing so maybe don't do this if there's no platform to break your fall.

Another option, other than the ones people have mentioned, is to run up and immediately do Shield Breaker. If you run, then let go of the joystick and press B at the same time, you can do it with no lag straight out of a dash (it does require you to be in the full run animation though, so you can't do it during the dash startup). You can even B reverse this by pressing the other direction immediately afterward.

It's honestly not a great option since Shield Breaker has such bad endlag, but it's worth keeping in mind since it is her longest-ranged move. And of course if their shield is low enough, you can occasionally still get the shield break, even after the horrible pointless nerf to its shield damage (why, Sakurai).

But yeah, at the start of a match dthrow > uair/bair is pretty much your bread and butter, especially against fast-fallers who you can't combo with fair or Dancing Blade at 0%.
I wouldn't really recommend using SB as an approach. BUT, b-reversing a SB to bait and punish a roll could be a pretty neat trick. I think you'd also be able to get some kills with SB but idk. Just theorizing here

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I go for a fair,dancing blade,dash attack or Nair to lead into a grab or into a combo for ex fair>dancing blade.These combo works if your opponent dosent DI correctly

SenpaiSmash

Smash Rookie
With the improved frame data of 1.1.4, I've been finding a lot of success in SH Dancing Blade - > fair to approach.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I almost always approach by walking and do a preventive jab or d.tilt...

SH DB1 also works, you can jump away when shielded, do u.air/n.air/fair if it hits, or continue the DB when they dodge...

You can do the SH airdodge, it works similar to DB1 but with no ofensive pressure, useful when facing projectile characters, or ones with better aerials...

Or you can do the double jump full shield breaker to slide during the landing, which is not a good approach, but looks really fancy...

ZeroKizuna

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeroUmbra
I usually do 3 hit dancing blade, so long as my opponent doesn't have a quick projectile.

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
I try to 'dance' in and out and see if I can land a falling fair or nair. To mix it up, I sometimes also go for a Shield Breaker or a Dancing Blade, though I find Dancing Blade seems more effective at catching people, especially with its newly increased speed. Sometimes what I do is land facing away from the opponent, then do a reversed Dancing Blade in their direction. If they shielded it, choosing the down input as the last attack can get less experienced players, or those with weaker shields, to sometimes drop their shield and get hit by the multiple stabs.

If the opponent is aggressive right at the start, I try to do SH nairs, SH fairs, jabs, and down tilt. Down tilt seems to be quite effective if they're trying to approach on the ground, it's gotten me pretty consistent results.

Top Bottom