• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way back on stage?

G3_Tavo

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,

New to the forum here. Will be really glad to share with other 2D-man fans here.

I sometimes run into trouble getting back on the stage from ledge aggressively. Fair can be a bit unthreatening and really punishable for opponents that are familiar with it. Bucket-turning into Bair is far too slow when jumping from ledge. Are there any more viable aggresive options back from ledge for us?

Of course, I could try to get back in a more passive/defensive manner, but some characters/players are great at covering multiple options and it becomes a guessing game I'd like to ocassionally avoid.

Thanks in advance for the input!

Last edited:

candysell

Smash Cadet
When off the edge, if someone is guarding you directly on the ledge, it's usually good to fake them out making them thing you will just grab it. Sometimes instead of going for the ledge, up B so that you go up and hit them instead of grabbing the ledge. With Ness or Lucas, if you see a yo-yo or Lucas's down smash charging, up B above them and then down smash with G&W.

Now for trying to get up when grabbing the edge, I rely on jump f-air to b-air a lot, but sometimes it won't work, so I wait and depending on what they are doing I will either roll, just get up, or jump f-air. Sometimes I will just jump up backwards and then up-b back onto the stage.

Hope this helps.

G3_Tavo

Smash Rookie
When off the edge, if someone is guarding you directly on the ledge, it's usually good to fake them out making them thing you will just grab it. Sometimes instead of going for the ledge, up B so that you go up and hit them instead of grabbing the ledge. With Ness or Lucas, if you see a yo-yo or Lucas's down smash charging, up B above them and then down smash with G&W.

Now for trying to get up when grabbing the edge, I rely on jump f-air to b-air a lot, but sometimes it won't work, so I wait and depending on what they are doing I will either roll, just get up, or jump f-air. Sometimes I will just jump up backwards and then up-b back onto the stage.

Hope this helps.
Those are some good options! It's still a problem that the actual strong part of Fair is not quick/threatening enough, but if I keep in mind all these options, I should be able to mix it up enough. Just gotta keep myself from becoming predictable.

Diabolique

Smash Cadet
An underrated technique I think is just DAiring below the edge and recovering from there. Like you said, Fair is not good at beating opposing Fairs / Bairs off stage when above parallel to the stage. Nair can work depending on the move but is slow, and Bair is situational. However if you Dair (saving double jump of course) and recover that way, few characters can actually mess with you. If they do, you can double jump Uair to beat any Dair attempts, and follow up with UpB.

This is obviously better in some matchups than others. For example this can be risky against a good Lucina, Ivysaur, and Villager, but is useful against Cloud, DK, Bowser, Peach, Doctor Mario, Yoshi, etc.

Also do not be afraid to just UpB early. The fireman hitbox is disjointed itself and can beat out some non-disjointed aerials reasonably well, if not just outspeed them.

For Ledge options, if someone is right on the edge Uair will clip them so you can try to space one. Drop down double jump Nair can be a good option but it is easily baited and punished, so do not over use it. However, I strongly suggest not going for a gut option. I would not buffer an option in most cases because that is how you can be baited. If you end up being trumped, you can DI those now so it is less of an issue.

Drop down UpB is also a surprise for most people, but again don't overuse it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom