• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best solo practice routine for Mario

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I've been trying to improve my Mario, but I don't want to play online, because of its laggy Internet connection. I'm not sure about Smash Anther Ladder, but for now, I want to start off solo. What are the most important steps that you guys recommend when practicing solo with Mario? I don't have any friends to practice with and I only have the 3DS version. I was mostly inspired by this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_0v9J54eNc) to ask this question, so I wonder what can be a great solo practice routine to improve my Smash4 Mario and the game in general? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Things that you can work on without other people as Mario:

Combos! Figure out where you can sneak in true combos at different percents. Just do stuff in training mode, see what works and what doesn't. The more you know the more versatile you can be in a real match.

Movement. Although this isn't Melee, movement is still important. Get very good at foxtrots, dash dances, and perfect pivots to a lesser extent. The better you are at movement, once again, the more versatile you'll be in a real match.

Spacing: In either training mode or vs. moving CPUs (you can even progress from training -> CPUs), work on hitting with the very tip of your moves when in neutral. Although this technically isn't -always- optimal, for a beginning player it will be the difference between low level and mid level play. Work on keeping yourself as safe as possible while still being able to apply pressure.

Techniques: There are a few global techniques that are great for any Mario player to have in their arsenal. Pivot jump-cancelled upsmashes, b-reverse and wavebounced fireballs, shield drops, ect. The first two are especially important.

Outside of actually playing, make sure you are watching replays of yourself and trying to understand why you are losing/getting hit. Personally, I only save replays where I lose so I have the ability to do this. Even further outside of the game if you're ever completely bored and have nothing else to do you can simply think about different situations and what options you have in them. Believe it or not, simply thinking about the game does indeed increase your skill (provided you have the ability to perform the ideas you have in your head)

In spite of all this, it's best to supplement it with playing versus real players. There are many important parts of the game you simply cannot learn without also playing other players.

Last edited:

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
In addition I would add wall jumping (it can help with mixing up recovery/trying to gimp deep on some stages) perfect shielding, and using FLUDD

Kulty

Smash Ace

Combos! Figure out where you can sneak in true combos at different percents. Just do stuff in training mode, see what works and what doesn't. The more you know the more versatile you can be in a real match.

Movement. Although this isn't Melee, movement is still important. Get very good at foxtrots, dash dances, and perfect pivots to a lesser extent. The better you are at movement, once again, the more versatile you'll be in a real match.

Spacing: In either training mode or vs. moving CPUs (you can even progress from training -> CPUs), work on hitting with the very tip of your moves when in neutral. Although this technically isn't -always- optimal, for a beginning player it will be the difference between low level and mid level play. Work on keeping yourself as safe as possible while still being able to apply pressure.

Techniques: There are a few global techniques that are great for any Mario player to have in their arsenal. Pivot jump-cancelled upsmashes, b-reverse and wavebounced fireballs, shield drops, ect. The first two are especially important.

Outside of actually playing, make sure you are watching replays of yourself and trying to understand why you are losing/getting hit. Personally, I only save replays where I lose so I have the ability to do this. Even further outside of the game if you're ever completely bored and have nothing else to do you can simply think about different situations and what options you have in them. Believe it or not, simply thinking about the game does indeed increase your skill (provided you have the ability to perform the ideas you have in your head)

In spite of all this, it's best to supplement it with playing versus real players. There are many important parts of the game you simply cannot learn without also playing other players.
OH! Thank you so much man! Will try this tactic daily to improve Mario. I've been asking this for so long! Do you always do that or these steps as a Mario main? Do you play for Glory, Smash Ladder or...?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
These days I don't focus so much on practicing combos in training mode unless there's something specific to work on. And once I have a technique down I rarely practice it solo again. However I do continue to train my movement alone if I have the time.

As far as playing other people, I sometimes play online vs. players I know personally, or I play local people offline during the week. I go to tournaments on a near-weekly basis though, so I also get a lot of practice at those. I can't recommend Smash Ladder enough though, there are lots of good players on there (although mostly for Wii U)

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
These days I don't focus so much on practicing combos in training mode unless there's something specific to work on. And once I have a technique down I rarely practice it solo again. However I do continue to train my movement alone if I have the time.

As far as playing other people, I sometimes play online vs. players I know personally, or I play local people offline during the week. I go to tournaments on a near-weekly basis though, so I also get a lot of practice at those. I can't recommend Smash Ladder enough though, there are lots of good players on there (although mostly for Wii U)
Thanks! I don't have the Wii U version which sucks BIG TIME! But playing online with friends is really a fun experience! OK, I see! I just have to do something like this on a daily basis.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Daily isn't really necessary either unless you've got a lot of free time and that's what you want to do. A few times a week is generally fine. :)

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34

Wow thanks! I am a new Mario secondary and I play alone a lot and if I am not alone it is with my 10 and 7 year old brothers who don't even know how to tech, (But I am the only one trying to play competitively, so I will cut them some slack. :p) and I only have 2 friends that are a little over my level of play, and I don't see them much. So as you can see, it is pretty hard for me to get REAL GOOD training. The only time I get that is when I am with those 2 friends. And they are brothers, so they have someone to train with every day, and I am trying to get to their skill level, but it is nearly impossible when they have someone about their rank to train with.

D

Deleted member

Really helpful will remember this as I use Mario's combo's Fire Glove, Lead Headbutt, and Plunger, and other techniques to settle it in Smash.

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
Thanks! I don't have the Wii U version which sucks BIG TIME! But playing online with friends is really a fun experience! OK, I see! I just have to do something like this on a daily basis.
Well, you can practice your movement with pressure on smash run. Believe me, it works!

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
Yeah, but how? I have no problem with Smash Run (I love this mode so much), but I just don't know how to do it.
The same way you would practice with CPU,
If you practice against lv9 cpu's, they will punish aggressive gameplay with perfect shields and last frame dodges forcing you to play defensively. If you play against a CPU set to still in training mode, you will practice aggressively, but without any pressure. Do I also have to mention the bad habits that you may have if you play for a long time with artificial intelligence?

On Smash Run, you have to fight endless enemies without frame perfect reaction and with pressure! Instead of winning smash run, Just focus on practicing your techs, combos against enemies that wary in size and weight*, You can also practice foxtrots, perfect pivots, b-reverses, and spacing while trying to survive.

*they don't try to escape.

Last edited:

Ninja Nova_24

Smash Rookie
Can anyone invite to the Mario chat in discord please? I'm a Mario main/secondary and would like some tips

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670

I've asked the same question on what I should practice on with Mario and no one has ever came up with a perfectly executed answer like you. Thanks man! :)

Top Bottom