• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best secondaries for Kirby?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Just a question, who's the best secondaries for Kirbys? Thanks

(Hardest matchups are Yoshi and Toon Link for me, and Sonic and Meta Knights are his others worst matchups too)

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I use Ness as a secondary and he can cover my bad matchups very well. I haven't played against MK/Yoshi (but the Yoshi matchup is slowly getting easier. Winnable I could say!) yet as him, but my matches against Sanics and Tink are pretty even. Welp, I tried to help~

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Here are good ones:

• :4mario: and :4pit: are all-round characters that can back you up in situations you don't expect.
  • :4greninja: can deal with heavies, :4metaknight:, :4luigi:, traditional swordsman, :4link: and possibly :4yoshi: and :4mario:
  • :4megaman: can deal with :4sonic:, heavies, :4ness:,:4diddy:, :4luigi:, and traditional swordsman, and :4peach:
  • :4villager: can take down heavies, :4pacman:, :4luigi:, standard swordsman, and :4peach:
  • :4sheik: for obvious reasons
  • :4metaknight: can deal with :rosalina:,:4peach:,:4mario:, :4pit:and floaty heavies
  • :rosalina: can handle :4pacman:, heavies, :4mario:,:4luigi:,:4sonic:,:4ness:
  • :4fox: can handle most zoning characters like :4link::4tlink: and :4pacman:, heavies,:4greninja:, and :4sonic:
  • :4marth:/:4lucina: can beat :4yoshi:,:4mario:,:4luigi:, and :4ness:
  • :4rob: can handle heavies, standard swordsman, :4ness:, :4pacman:, and :4sonic:
  • :4sonic: can handle heavies, :4greninja:, :4pit:,:4metaknight:, and :4ness:
  • :4olimar: can deal with :4diddy:,:rosalina:,:4luigi:, and heavies
  • :4zss: can take care of heavies, :4yoshi:,:4pit:,:4luigi:,:rosalina:, :4metaknight:,:4sonic:and most zoning characters barring Villager
  • :4pikachu: can cover :rosalina:,:4diddy:, most zoning characters, most heavies, and :4pit:
That's just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
How about Cloud? Kirby has trouble getting in but Cloud is a character that most of the time doesn't have to as he can charge limit.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Wow, Kirby has a lot of options when it comes to having a secondary for him. Good thing I picked Mega Man, as it can help against Sonic, who's one of his absolute worst match ups.
Also, what's the difference between standard and traditional swordsmen?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Wow, Kirby has a lot of options when it comes to having a secondary for him. Good thing I picked Mega Man, as it can help against Sonic, who's one of his absolute worst match ups.
Also, what's the difference between standard and traditional swordsmen?
Eh. There really isn't a rule though a common opinion is that you have more "traditional swordsman" like :4cloud::4myfriends: and :4marth: and then you have less standard ones like :4metaknight::4link:and :4pit:. A thing to keep in mind is that more traditional swordsman tend to lose to the same/similar characters while less traditional ones have matchup spreads of their own.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Is there anybody that does good aganist Yoshi, Cloud, AND Toon Link, perhapes Sonic too?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Is there anybody that does good aganist Yoshi, Cloud, AND Toon Link, perhapes Sonic too?
Hmm. Not sure. The only character I know for sure that beats all of them is :4sheik:.

:4fox: could potentially fit the bill but is matchup against :4yoshi: is iffy.
:4zss: possibly could but I am not sure how she does against :4cloud: considering Nairo dropped a set to Tweek's Cloud. Then again, Nairo pulled her out of nowhere and seemed rather sloppy in the set so it could have just been the players. It may well be in her favor.
:rosalina: is another contender, but I don't know she does against :4cloud: yet and once again the :4yoshi: matchup seems rather volatile.

DERPFISHsaysNO

Smash Cadet
I tend to run Pikachu or Mewtwo. For me, choosing a secondary or tertiary character was as much about throwing off my opponent as it was matchup coverage (comes from being a Melee Luigi!) For raw matchup coverage, Pikachu is the better bet of the two, as he has less glaring weaknesses than Mewtwo. If you want a character for mixup, though, nothing throws somebody off harder than a paradigm shift like Kirby to Mewtwo or Kirby to a heavy.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
I honestly use Pikachu but I haven't put enough work into my kill set ups. My Pika is noticeably weaker than my Kirby as a result. Which is a shame since I quite liked him in Melee and Brawl.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I tend to run Pikachu or Mewtwo. For me, choosing a secondary or tertiary character was as much about throwing off my opponent as it was matchup coverage (comes from being a Melee Luigi!) For raw matchup coverage, Pikachu is the better bet of the two, as he has less glaring weaknesses than Mewtwo. If you want a character for mixup, though, nothing throws somebody off harder than a paradigm shift like Kirby to Mewtwo or Kirby to a heavy.
What is Pikachu's matchups aganist Yoshi, Toon Link, Cloud, and Sonic?

TimG57867

Smash Ace
What is Pikachu's matchups aganist Yoshi, Toon Link, Cloud, and Sonic?
:4cloud: is up in the air. He's fast and hits hard and quick and is loaded with disjoints which Pika hates but has horrendous recovery. We'll have to wait on this one.
:4sonic: is an even matchup.
:4tlink: is a winning matchup.
:4yoshi: is disputed. Probably even.

My Advice: If you're planning to make Pikachu your top backup which means putting good work into him, I guess he could handle these guys. But if you're only planning to pocket him, he might not be the best choice. Especially considering how technical he is.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
:4cloud: is up in the air. He's fast and hits hard and quick and is loaded with disjoints which Pika hates but has horrendous recovery. We'll have to wait on this one.
:4sonic: is an even matchup.
:4tlink: is a winning matchup.
:4yoshi: is disputed. Probably even.

My Advice: If you're planning to make Pikachu your top backup which means putting good work into him, I guess he could handle these guys. But if you're only planning to pocket him, he might not be the best choice. Especially considering how technical he is.
I already pocket him. I'm probably going to start using somebody for Toon Link and somebdy else for Yoshi as secondaries (Probably Diddy) and drop Meta Knight

WarTubaFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
WarTubaFox
I've been using Villager and Dark Pit to cover for Kirby's matchups.
Thought about swapping one for Zero Suit or Sonic.
I feel like Dark Pit is all around enough to help deal with matchups where characters run all around you. Villager seems like a natural fit (for me) and recently in tournament, it seems that Villager can take care of what Kirby cant.
It's worth a try.

Top Bottom