• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best N64 Controller to Buy for Online PC Use?

Akhilles

Smash Rookie
Hello!

I'm pretty new to the scene here and am trying to get involved. I play lots of Smash 64 with friends in my apartment building while in med school, and want to start playing online. I was looking to see what controller you guys recommend for use while connected to my PC. I was thinking to buy the Mayflash USB adapter, but read in a thread previously that it commonly has problems with project64k (Don't quote me on that, just remember reading it somewhere). I wouldn't mind buying that and using it if it works well, but even then, where can I buy reliable, new N64 controllers nowadays? If the Mayflash USB converter is out of the question (or not the best option) which USB controller should I look into. I am extremely sorry if this has already been explained somewhere, but I had not noticed. Excited to join and be part of the community. So far with what I've read around here you guys seem to be very kind and cordial and that is extremely nice to find in a community.

P.S. I have Project64k Version 0.13 Core 1.4 and have used netplay before. Is there a newer/better version to use. Also do y'all have any tips on reducing latency?

Thanks!
Akhilles

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Mayflash is seen as a bad adapter because it has a delay on the c buttons(I think) but is a very cheep adapter. Raphnet just recently released an updated version of their adapter which is tied for the lowest delay and works for 64, Hori, and gamecube controllers. I would recommend the raphnet to usb adapter for online play. Don't ever use usb controllers since they have bad sticks and bad range.

This guide has all the information you could want: www.goo.gl/vNYvXh

D

Deleted member

Hello!

I'm pretty new to the scene here and am trying to get involved. I play lots of Smash 64 with friends in my apartment building while in med school, and want to start playing online. I was looking to see what controller you guys recommend for use while connected to my PC. I was thinking to buy the Mayflash USB adapter, but read in a thread previously that it commonly has problems with project64k (Don't quote me on that, just remember reading it somewhere). I wouldn't mind buying that and using it if it works well, but even then, where can I buy reliable, new N64 controllers nowadays? If the Mayflash USB converter is out of the question (or not the best option) which USB controller should I look into. I am extremely sorry if this has already been explained somewhere, but I had not noticed. Excited to join and be part of the community. So far with what I've read around here you guys seem to be very kind and cordial and that is extremely nice to find in a community.

P.S. I have Project64k Version 0.13 Core 1.4 and have used netplay before. Is there a newer/better version to use. Also do y'all have any tips on reducing latency?

Thanks!
Akhilles
Best bet are pawn shops, vintage video game stores, etc, But even then there is no guarantee that they're in good condition. Fortunately I have been lucky. :p Good luck and mad respect for wanting to use the real thing (N64 controller). ^_^)/ You and I are the rare ones, in a community where the majority are cheaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akhilles

Smash Rookie
Thanks for your response. I'll look into that and check in Craigslist to get some controllers. I was just hoping to get new (even if offbrand) controllers, but beggars can't be choosers.

Good luck and mad respect for wanting to use the real thing (N64 controller). ^_^)/ You and I are the rare ones, in a community where the majority are cheaters.
People don't use regular N64 controllers? I like to play to get better and eventually enter in tournaments is my plan, and I'm assuming at those you can only use regular controllers. I thought the two main options were N64 or keyboard. What do the cheaters use? (not asking because I want to use them, but because I want to know what I am up against lol).

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Don't ever take cuddles too seriously. Any controller is legal in 64 as long as you don't use turbo. There have been people who have built custom xbox360 adapters and used them in tournament. Some other alternative controllers are the Hori controller and the GameCube controller with an adapter.

Ebay is a pretty good place to buy controllers. The only downside is that you can't really tell the quality of the stick before you buy it like at a retro game store or a pawn shop.

Last edited:

Akhilles

Smash Rookie
Haha ok, will keep that in mind.

Last question for you Grahamaglam Grahamaglam : How do you usually test the quality of the stick before buying it?

I would think check sensitivity, stiffness, and range. Did I miss anything? How do you test that if it's not connected to a console?

D

Deleted member

People don't use regular N64 controllers? I like to play to get better and eventually enter in tournaments is my plan, and I'm assuming at those you can only use regular controllers. I thought the two main options were N64 or keyboard. What do the cheaters use? (not asking because I want to use them, but because I want to know what I am up against lol).
Not many no. I almost never encounter anyone who uses a real controller. Usually it's always something else like Xbox, Gamecube, PS, keyboard, whatever. Anyone who uses anything other than an N64 controller a cheater and a disgrace to the game. Which is a main reason, I'm almost never online anymore, and much rather play weeklies on console.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Haha ok, will keep that in mind.

Last question for you Grahamaglam Grahamaglam : How do you usually test the quality of the stick before buying it?

I would think check sensitivity, stiffness, and range. Did I miss anything? How do you test that if it's not connected to a console?
Mostly the dead zone of the stick (the stiffness). If you really know your controllers, you could test to see if it has the original OEM stick or a replacement stick. The replacement sticks have a very slight difference in the way they feel, I can't really describe it well. If you buy online they might say "original OEM stick" or something like that. The replacement stick wear out faster and have a slightly different sensitivity from personal experience.

ElViejoZunY

Smash Apprentice
One last thing you may need to know, using the N64 controller on PC (Mayflash, Raphnet, etc) may not feel the same than using it in a N64, maybe you will feel it faster or slower, some miss inputs.. Just play some VS before the tournament start and note the difference, it´s not big thing, you will be fine.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, play around with the deadzone and thresh to taste.

Dizzle

Smash Cadet
People don't use regular N64 controllers? I like to play to get better and eventually enter in tournaments is my plan, and I'm assuming at those you can only use regular controllers.
As mentioned previously, pretty much any controller is legal as long as it doesn't have a turbo function. You'll most commonly run into OG Nintendo 64 controllers and Hori Mini Pads, but there's other options available, even on console. There are adapters to use Gamecube controllers, keyboards, Xbox 360 controllers, and others you'll find. See http://onlinessb.com/controllers/ for more details.

Players who commonly use the non-original N64 controllers:
Hori: Revan, tacos, Firo (when playing Ness)
Gamecube: Firo (when playing Link) is the only high level player I've seen using one
Xbox 360: LD and Umbra are the only 2 players I've seen using these
Keyboard: Star King, Killer

Top Bottom