• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best method to split up IC's?

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
D-Tilt & retreating fair? I'm sure there's more though, I have a tough time doing the same.

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
I can see retreating fair working if they're in their jump, and I can get around Popo to continue hitting Nana off the stage.
I'm pretty sure you would instead want to pursue Popo and close the stock ASAP. My friend's an IC main and he always tells me that if Marth goes after Nana it just leaves more time for Popo to be mischievous with his schemes.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure you would instead want to pursue Popo and close the stock ASAP. My friend's an IC main and he always tells me that if Marth goes after Nana it just leaves more time for Popo to be mischievous with his schemes.
True, but I feel like it leaves you two choices. Either go after Nana once they're split, or you could take the higher risk and obviously higher reward of trying to kill Popo, which of course is being controlled by your opponent. Really comes down to the context of the situation and how confident you are in successfully killing Popo; for if you drop the kill on Popo the climbers can sync back together again since you chose to spare Nana.

Last edited:

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
Marth can combo the heckin heck out of IC's, but yeah I guess until you learn follow-ups and such it's best to go after Nana.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Marth can combo the heckin heck out of IC's, but yeah I guess until you learn follow-ups and such it's best to go after Nana.
Oh I know the follow ups, it's just a matter of being confident that you won't drop it somehow. In a last stock high percent situation, you may want to compartmentalize things and take out Nana so it's easier to close out their stock. But thanks for the advice!

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
nair works pretty good :) also dair to nair or fsmash is great in PAL.

EnIgma24

Smash Cadet
Platform camp to avoid the grab, ics have little to no answer against well spaced fair and dtilt anyways (i highly recommand to watch the moon for this match up). I believe that In order to separate the climbers nair is a good choice if you already managed to pop them up before. But hitting with a fair gives you a free tipper f smash in most occasion so searching to separate them isn't the absolute best option since they are pretty easy to edgeguard. As for chosing which climbers you should chase down afterward i agree that it really depends but knowing if the opponent is a good sopo or not before your match may help you decide.

AirFair

Marth tho
DO NOT GRAB TO SEPARATE
Moves like fair and nair work the best on the ground, but that does not mean you should just throw them out. Dtilt is good for keeping them off you and establishing space to set up for those aerials.

Last edited:

YimS

Smash Rookie
This matchup is weird. Marth doesn't really have a good way to separate the IC's. His main game is keep away and snuffing approaches with dTilt and SHretreating/In place Fair. Don't approach with fair, you get wobbled. The best thing that marth has against the IC's is his edge guarding. As much as possible try to get them towards the edge instead of looking to separate. Separating the climbers is incredibly difficult as Marth.

Shiftyy

Smash Cadet
Guys.

If you land a fair on grounded synced ICs, SHFFL it into immediate uptilt. If the uptilt hits it almost guarantees a nana kill with proper followups.

Top Bottom