• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Heavy Character

Best Heavy Weight

• Bowser

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Dedede

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Ike

Votes: 69 39.9%
  • Wario

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Donkey kong

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Samus

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Bowser junior

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Charizard

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • ROB

Votes: 15 8.7%

• Total voters

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
So I am curious about who you guys think is the best heavy in smash 4? I would definately rate ike as the best Heavy character, he has rediculous disjoints, suprising good frame data and an actual combo game which has a pretty high damage output. So what do you guys think?

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
You're missing a couple characters, one of them being :4ryu:who in my opinion is easily one of the best heavy characters in the game.

His kit and KO power are insane when put into the hands of a skilled player.

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
You're missing a couple characters, one of them being :4ryu:who in my opinion is easily one of the best heavy characters in the game.

His kit and KO power are insane when put into the hands of a skilled player.
he isn't heavy enough, my cut off was rob, and he was lighter than that.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
he isn't heavy enough, my cut off was rob, and he was lighter than that.
Only by like 3 weight points? The basis behind what you consider "heavy" is pretty inaccurate considering :4link:is well known for being a heavy character yet you didn't include him in your poll either.

Troykv

Smash Master
Only by like 3 weight points? The basis behind what you consider "heavy" is pretty inaccurate considering :4link:is well known for being a heavy character yet you didn't include him in your poll either.
Yeah... Well... Techinically based in the stat "weight" Yoshi and Captain Falcon has the same weight than Link

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
The obvious answer is Ike, this would probably make for a better discussion if we limited to Super Heavies. Then again, DK probably wins that by a good margin.

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Let's simplify this.

:4dk: Vs. :4myfriends:

But Bowser probably benefits the most from Rage. Those medium percent KOs.

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
If we're talking about super heavies, then that means that we're talking about
:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4myfriends::4ganondorf:

And in this case, we can say that it comes down to :4dk::4myfriends:, with :4charizard::4bowser: coming close. Dk and Ike have combos and strength, and have quicker moves than the others. Charizard and Bowser are heavier, and harder hitting, but overall have less combo potential.

If we factor in other heavy fighters, we should include:4wario::4rob::4ryu::4falcon:.

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
Just going to say this. I didn't realize that the qualification for what a heavy character is a bit more complicated than what I thought it was. I think however for the sake of just simplicity to just focus on the top ten heaviest.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
I would definitely say Donkey Kong. I say this because DK can rip Ike apart like theres no tomorrow due to their being a 72% combo on him as demonstrated by Mew2king against Ryo. Has a lagless back air that super powerful and a good zoning tool. He also has the miraculous Ding-Dong killing at 80%. In my opinion DK has one of the best dash attacks in the game. He also has his super armored punch and an up-B that has super armor on start up.:4dk:

Last edited:

Smudges

and we're back.
NNID
Smudges0
I would definitely say Donkey Kong. I say this because DK can rip Ike apart like theres no tomorrow due to their being a 72% combo on him as demonstrated by Mew2king against Ryo. Has a lagless back air that super powerful and a good zoning tool. He also has the miraculous Ding-Dong killing at 80%. In my opinion DK has one of the best dash attacks in the game. He also has his super armored punch and an up-B that has super armor on start up.:4dk:
Damn, forgot about this moment! The look on Ryo's face, and then "Nah, that's so stupid..." :p

Doesn't change my opinion though. DK and Ike still great, with Charizard and Bowser coming second.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Just going to say this. I didn't realize that the qualification for what a heavy character is a bit more complicated than what I thought it was. I think however for the sake of just simplicity to just focus on the top ten heaviest.
If that's the case my vote goes to Ike. Easily one of the best overall and in competitive play when put into the right hands.

D

Deleted member 269706

It would have to be Ike or Wario. Ike's autocancels and spacing tools make him such a good character, but Wario's speed and shenanigans make him ridiculously good as well. IIRC they weigh exactly the same. Results wise, I'm pretty sure Ike players have been placing higher than Wario players as of late, but that's not to say that Wario is any worse.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
Wow, what's with all the Ike love? I mean, Ryo's fantastic and has had multiple impressive showings lately, but Wario had some crazy results from Abadango and ROB also has had solid representation from 8-BitMan (Ryo vs. 8BM was insanely hype). I would say Ike, Wario, and ROB are all more or less tied for best heavyweight, if we place the cutoff above Ryu that is. DK is easily the best super-heavyweight.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I personally feel that either ROB or Ike is the best heavy-class. They have great tournament results compared to the rest.. DK or Wario would be the next runner-up. I actually never knew Wario was a heavy character.. Learning new things everyday!

JokeOnTheInternet

Smash Rookie
All heavyweights here have potential to be the best. It all comes to match ups for each. Against some characters Ganondorf and Bowser have the advantage but the downside was that with some characters, it would be hard to defeat. I'm always struggling when I'm Ganondorf and someone is ZSS. The heavyweight has to have speed but also brings in a lot of damage so the winner here is Ike in my opinion.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Donkey Kong and Charizard are the most scary heavy weight around.

After all Ike is high but actually take a lot of skill to use him whyout lagging. As long you don't lag in the best frame and time, Ike is scary, but Donkey Knog to me is the Very Best.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
Donkey Kong and Ike are pretty head to head for the best heavyweight. The rest of the heavyweights on this list are really meh

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
I feel to be a hipster and say Dedede.

It's hard to say why. But there is something with his multiple jumps that is very good and some of his small combos. I just wish they will patch his Gordo soo only some specials and smash attacks will make it bounch back.

MortalDaemon

Smash Rookie
SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT
1 Bowser 128
2 Donkey Kong 122
3 Dedede 119
4 Charizard 115
5 Ganondorf 112
HEAVYWEIGHT
6-7 Bowser Jr. 108
6-7 Samus 108
8-9 Ike 107
8-9 Wario 107
10 R.O.B. 106
11-13 Captain Falcon 104
11-13 Link 104
11-13 Yoshi 104

If you are only doing top ten then you are leaving out CF/LINK/Yoshi who are all just completely better than everyone above them besides wario. (I don't know much about Bjr so he may be better than yoshi/link but I doubt it.

If we do leave out those three then obviously wario is the strongest character given what we know about the meta, with ike/dk being the next candidates and probably not that far behind. Samus is completely discredited due some weird frame problems but shes still going to completely dominate with this lineup, with her kit, more than likely

Now my problem with this discussion is we haven't really stated if we are talking about against each other, which means we would have to consider all the merits of each fighter relative to themselves or vs the entire cast.

I'd say regardless Warios probably the strongest though but the other characters theres probably more gray area.

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
:4ganondorf: > All other Superheavyweights, just try to argue me. I'm game.
Donkey kong has actual combos, an amazing grab game and an excellent spacing move in the form of a back air, and also better frame data I think.

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
Ike definitely, but I though Ryu was considered "Heavy Weight", If he is in my vote would be for Ryu

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Donkey Kong for me easily. His momentum for a heavy is completely unreal. Despite lacking a projectile, his momentum is like that of a middleweight or lighter character.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
:4dk:For cargo throw shenanigans but :4myfriends:isn't far behind,dude gets more scarier every time a patch rolls out

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Charizard can be pretty scary when he has rage, if I'm going to be honest. Yeah, DK and Ike are always called "the best", but I'd hazard to say 'Zard's better than DK at least, because of their recoveries; DK's is almost entirely horizontal, while Charizard at least has some form of vertical recovery.

In terms of a ranking, I'd guess it might be something like this (at least to me);
:4myfriends:
:4charizard:
:4dk:
:4bowser:
:4dedede:
:4ganondorf:

D

Deleted member

Charizard can be pretty scary when he has rage, if I'm going to be honest. Yeah, DK and Ike are always called "the best", but I'd hazard to say 'Zard's better than DK at least, because of their recoveries; DK's is almost entirely horizontal, while Charizard at least has some form of vertical recovery.

In terms of a ranking, I'd guess it might be something like this (at least to me);
:4myfriends:
:4charizard:
:4dk:
:4bowser:
:4dedede:
:4ganondorf:
I'm curious, why do you think Bowser is better than Dedede? Both are honestly pretty bad but I wanna hear your reasoning on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm going to have to go with Ike and Ryu for the Heavy category, and Donkey Kong for the Super Heavy category.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
I'm curious, why do you think Bowser is better than Dedede? Both are honestly pretty bad but I wanna hear your reasoning on this.
I have a similar opinion. To me, Bowser's speed is what puts him over D3. On the ground Bowser is stupid fast for his weight compared to D3 and other heavies, and his attack speed is a lot better. Yeah, D3 has his disjoints, a better recovery, and a projectile, but Bowser is just quicker to the punch and more versatile in my opinion.

Granted, I haven't put a whole lot of time into developing my D3 game, but this is how I see it.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Bowser is much faster and has an easier time setting up attacks than Dedede does.

Also, Dash Slash is utterly ridonkulous, and in customs meta that just widens the gap between them; and I'd even say Dash Slash makes Bowser the third best heavy in the game behind 'Zard and Ike; and those two tend to be jostling for best in my book anyways. Dedede has disjoints, a fast projectile and a better vertical recovery, yeah, but Bowser has the advantage in that his stronger attacks come out faster and he's overall much more versatile than Dedede in terms of the singles meta. And Dedede's vertical recovery is rather predictable, sadly. Granted, same happens to Charizard, but at least Charizard has tools that make up for his faults in both metas; Dedede has the Brawl DK problem of being so big and easy to hit that he can't really easily set up for his more destructive abilities because he's going to be getting hit most of the time. Most other heavies have a way of mitigating the problem, but Dedede doesn't.

Bowser's speed and mobility make him a much more potent threat then Dedede currently; though I do think Dedede isn't bad, he's just not exceptional as a heavy. And honestly, I'm thinking I might have put DK too high, because he also suffers from being big and slow and predictable; and not even Kong Cyclone can make up for that horrific vertical recovery.

Top Bottom