• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best followup after burying with jab?

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I've seen pretty much every attack used as a followup to the burial, but is there a best one? Character and damage has a big factor in what attack is ideal, but which ones stand out? I think the possible best followups are ftilt and side-b. Ftilt for racking up damage on taller characters while giving you time to charge SS or DP, while the header can be used on smaller characters and can lead into other attacks.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
I usually use Dtilt for racking up damage since it hits 100% of the cast instead of Ftilt, which can whiff on many grounded opponents (there's a thread that can show you which ones). I believe it does 21% altogether. I only use Ftilt if I'm sure that it will hit and I want some space.

After the first burial, I usually switch to an aerial, basing my timing upon how long they took to get out the first time.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
It really depends on your opponent because bury time is affected by how fast/ whether or not they shake out.

For example, dtilt does 12% and will never whiff a short character making it a good option most of the time. However it hits on frame 10 meaning at lower percents or against extreme mashing it'll whiff.

So what if they always mash or their percent is too low for a tilt or smash?
Just wait and jab them on their exit. With good timing you can ground them again, or set up a really nasty trap. If nothing else you can just take the 8% and free up some slots on your stale moves list so that more common moves like SS and ftilt get renewed. Following after with uair or nair is never a bad option either.

Mashing can also put opponents right in the path of smash attack setups as the time they're buried is something like [% - mashing amount = time buried] so if you know how hard they're mashing, you can predict when they'll pop out for some unburdened fsmash or usmash knockback.

Now what if they don't mash, or their percent is just too high to do anything about it?

Well at lower percents ftilt can hit twice at 8-9% fresh. That's much better than the singular dtilt. Jabbing continuously here isn't a bad idea either. Let's also not forget that header cancelling can nearly double your damage.

Once damage gets particularly high she also start popping opponents out of bury before they can break out.

This means things like utilt become really nasty traps into kill moves.
Reverse ftilt becomes a much easier move to combo into and a kill setup.
Nair once again becomes a killsetup. This time both the soft and hard hit of nair being prevalent.
Reverse jab sets up tech chases which can lead to even more kill setups.

So really it's not that simple. Pay attention to your opponent and look to maximize your reward everytime and you can bury the competi- *shot*

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I...wait. I let them get out, and then hit them with an aerial or fully charged Sun Salutation on the way up.

Top Bottom