• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Best Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ruben Samich

Ok so I know that the Gamecube controller is generally accepted as the best controller for Smash 4. But I think the wii remote is! Ok I'm kidding. I actually like using the wii classic controller pro much better than anything else. So I'm just wondering why you guys like the Gamecube controller so much. Or tell me why you like some other controller the best!

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Most people use the Gamecube controller simply because they came from the Melee days, or they played Brawl and figured Gamecube controllers were the best option in that game out of all the controller options.
GCC vs. Pro Controller is an old argument in the Smash community, and really it's just personal preference and not one being better than the other. Pro Controller has more buttons, digital triggers and shorter travel on the (smooth) sticks. GCC has analog triggers, longer travel on the sticks (that have diagonal ridges) and the layout of the controller is arguably more efficient (with the CStick and the face button placements).

R

Ruben Samich

Ah, so it's not really a problem that I use the classic controller pro rather than a gamecube controller. I'm not making myself play any worse by using the classic controller pro. That's good to know. I never played melee so when I got brawl I used the classic controller pro. (that's why I don't have a melee main under my Avatar)

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Most people use the Gamecube controller simply because they came from the Melee days, or they played Brawl and figured Gamecube controllers were the best option in that game out of all the controller options.
GCC vs. Pro Controller is an old argument in the Smash community, and really it's just personal preference and not one being better than the other. Pro Controller has more buttons, digital triggers and shorter travel on the (smooth) sticks. GCC has analog triggers, longer travel on the sticks (that have diagonal ridges) and the layout of the controller is arguably more efficient (with the CStick and the face button placements).
You're talking about the Wii U Pro, but he's asking about the Wii Classic, which has notched sticks in a PlayStation-esque layout.

Honestly, if you feel comfortable with the Wii Classic, it's probably better than GC (same notched sticks, better triggers).

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You're talking about the Wii U Pro, but he's asking about the Wii Classic, which has notched sticks in a PlayStation-esque layout.

Honestly, if you feel comfortable with the Wii Classic, it's probably better than GC (same notched sticks, better triggers).
I know. I was just mentioning that this discussion between GCC and the other controllers goes a long way.
I don't think there's benefit exactly in having to choose between any of them. You go with what you're most comfortable.

R

Ruben Samich

A lot of people dislike the classic controller pro because it's really small and their hands cramp up. But I have really small hands so it fits perfectly and I really like the button layout. I even prefer the controller to my Xbox 360/One controllers, and those have won awards! I think the classic controller pro is an extremely underrated controller.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Well, I've always felt comfortable with the GC controller ever since I first picked up Melee. When I found Brawl on display, I found the Wiimote and Nunchuk combo to be ****. Too awkward for my taste, that. I've never used Classic or Pro Controller before but I'm planning on it since I have Mario Kart 8 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 which I won't touch when all I have for those games is this bulky-ass Gamepad. Sorry about the expletives, kids...

Last edited:

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
There's honestly not any significant advantage/disadvantage other than the Gamecube is by far the best if you play claw. The pro controller having a high right thumstick makes clawing more difficult, essentially not worthwhile. I'm assuming you aren't playing claw anyways so you aren't going to see any difference. So it won't be an issue for you at all unless you get really into the competitive scene as some tournies say gamecube controller only. I personally use GC because I'm used to it, I've played Melee, Brawl and PM all with GC controller and I do play claw somewhat especially with certain characters i.e. Peach.

R

Ruben Samich

I will probably never go into any tourneys for Smash 4. And I've tried the claw playing other games (Halo) and I hate it. It makes my hand cramp up.

Last edited by a moderator:

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
I will probably never go into any tourneys for Smash 4. And I've tried the claw playing other games (Halo 5) and I hate it. It makes my hand cramp up.
It's funny you mention Halo bc that's what got me into playing claw. But it definitely doesn't feel comfortable if you aren't used to it. I will confirm that playing claw with a GC controller is much more comfortable than playing claw on an XBox One controller, especially if you use L to shield and not R. Clawing the Y button on a GC controller actually isn't that bad. It's still like a tiny thing that honestly isn't going to make or break anything. Armada is the best Melee player and plays Peach and doesn't play claw and Peach is the character that imo benefits most from playing claw.

GC controller is still very comfortable to hold and is very ergonomic. You don't have to worry about batteries. Even if you don't go to a tourney ever it's still nice not to have to sync the controller if you are travelling to a friends house. The Wii U Pro controller is also pretty comfortable and technically it has an extra button compared to the GC so you can map that to whatever you'd like. I like the Wii U pro over the Classic but that's mostly bc the contour of the controller is more comfortable imo (which the Classic Pro has). It's still just preference as things like latency bc this controller is wireless aren't real issues which is nice. I'd strongly advise against using solely a Wii Mote without a nunchuk, that's the worst thing you can do. But I believe the general consensus will most likely be GC controller > ALL. But you aren't going to get any significant benefit from any controller over another.

If you are comfortable with a particular controller probably just best to stick with it. You won't see any improvement by switching and the only benefit would just be what you feel is more comfortable to hold.

Starkuss

Smash Rookie
There is no best controller and anyone who says otherwise is a filthy liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom