• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being "Mature" Doesn't Mean What Everyone Thinks It Does

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Mega Bidoof Debate #1:

When I do something, I like to find the enjoyment, or have fun while doing, usually while making a jokes in the process. I do this both in real life, and here on the internet. In both of those places, I am deemed immature for doing so. But what does this mean from a psychological standpoint, and from society's view.

The dictionary defines maturity as "the state of being mature", which means acting like an adult. But what does it mean to act like an adult. Surely there cannot be one type of personality for every single adult!
Well there is in society's eyes. This meaning is that "maturity" would mean doing all your work, and putting responsibilities and other important things before anything else. This is the basic definition from the world's stand-point. So really, being mature means having no fun or sense of humor, and being serious 95% of the time.

But this is not what I think maturity means. I believe that if one acts like an adult, they would need to place themselves in place of the adult's usual life. They have to go out into the real world every single day, and do what is required of them in their job. To be successful in the real world, while also being happy, would require one to know how to evenly balance out the work and play. This is what maturity really means. To be mature, you must have a grasp on the real world, and must know when and how to even out responsibilities, and just having fun.

Sorry if the wording is a bit shaky, this is my first debate.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Adulthood and Maturity are both words loosely tied together, but I agree with you. Just because you grow up and start paying taxes or becoming a more contributing factor to society, doesn't always equal maturity. Maturity is more of a decision and a natural progress in a person, while adulthood is something you're thrown into or forced upon. You've heard the term 'Some people never grow up', right? It's completely true. Some people stay in a child-hood like mindset and never progress themselves any further, whether it be the fault of themselves or the environment they lived in. Maturity doesn't equal being straight-faced and serious all the times, acting in a business-like manner; that can actually be immature. Is it not childish to be like that all the time, stubborn in your own ways? I would think someone would be quite mature if they didn't take my jokes personally or knew how to be a good laugh once in a while, because maturity is honestly subjective. It's how you perceive someone that matters, their personality, the way they handle themselves or even act. I suppose those can be factors to maturity, but when you say someone is 'Mature' what are the first things you think of them? What makes them mature? You can't go into a group of strangers and honestly pin-point who is mature and who isn't based on looks (though dressing and clothing appearance can be a factor at times).

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Adulthood and Maturity are both words loosely tied together, but I agree with you. Just because you grow up and start paying taxes or becoming a more contributing factor to society, doesn't always equal maturity. Maturity is more of a decision and a natural progress in a person, while adulthood is something you're thrown into or forced upon. You've heard the term 'Some people never grow up', right? It's completely true. Some people stay in a child-hood like mindset and never progress themselves any further, whether it be the fault of themselves or the environment they lived in. Maturity doesn't equal being straight-faced and serious all the times, acting in a business-like manner; that can actually be immature. Is it not childish to be like that all the time, stubborn in your own ways? I would think someone would be quite mature if they didn't take my jokes personally or knew how to be a good laugh once in a while, because maturity is honestly subjective. It's how you perceive someone that matters, their personality, the way they handle themselves or even act. I suppose those can be factors to maturity, but when you say someone is 'Mature' what are the first things you think of them? What makes them mature? You can't go into a group of strangers and honestly pin-point who is mature and who isn't based on looks (though dressing and clothing appearance can be a factor at times).
The bolded and underlined are my thoughts in one sentence basically.

Top Bottom