• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being aggressive with Wii Fit Trainer?

mat7772

Smash Cadet
I really want to be more aggressive with wii fit trainer, but the only time I feel like I can is when the opponent is in the air/landing, or offstage. At the moment I have trouble when the player is stable on the ground. Currently my approaches are dash attack, short how nair, short hop bair, uncharged sun salutation and sometimes a dash grab. Really struggle because I feel like WFT moves have such low priority.

Should I just be more defensive and wait for the right opportunity and then punish? I feel like I am more of an aggressive player but if I need to make adjustments to be the best with this character I will.

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
In my experience, it isn't as easy for WFT to approach than other characters(I said "my experience," not "it's a rule."). That being said, it can be done.

WFT has a lot of punishing tools to get under the opponent's skin, so make that your priority.

Dash dancing is one tool to use because of her great pivot side tilt. Use the front end to knock opponents away, or use the leg end for air combos. At low percents (0-30% for most fighters), you can combo back-end side tilt into side B (the head part) for a free 30ish %. At higher percents, try the SHFFL or double-jumped Nair true combos.

Here's a (poor quality) video of what I mean. I advance with a pivot reverse side tilt, and then go in for the spike.

You can also use that new "pivot edge turn move"or whatever it's called (dash backwards, move forwards into your pivot aviation, then press an attack button as you're letting go of the control stick) as both a feint and an opportunity to land a sliding uptilt or jab combo. If you jab cancel, you can grab the opponent or whichever move you choose.

Using WFT's air mobility is also a solid way to approach and/or bait. A good way to feel out the opponent's evasive strategies is to use an advancing short hop SS (uncharged) to see their response from a safe distance while still getting close enough to attack if they leave themselves open. This approach is also useful against heavy projectile-use characters like the Links, Robin and Bowser Jr. because it mimics their own style of playing (use a projectile, follow up with more or a physical attack), which some of the players are only used to giving WITH, not AGAINST. DHD and Pikachu, not so much because of their shortness.

Another aerial tech is to use a falling Bair. It's a powerful punish , but only open with it if you're falling away from the opponent so that you land away from them on shield. After doing it once, consider jumping towards the enemy once, then using the second jump away from them as a mind game or to catch mistakes. If you use the double jump forwards, then backwards towards the ledge, you can time your side B so that the ball skims the ground and pops the opponent when they might have dropped their shield. You'll land on the edge, so you'll have a few free invincible seconds. Just don't linger.

I could go on, but WFT is all about unorthodox moves and mobility. Use those tools to your advantage, and options should open up for you.

Last edited:

deepspacenice

Smash Rookie
Hey, first post but I play a lot of Wii Fit Trainer so I thought I'd chime in.
  • Charge your sun salutation up as you're falling, shoot it at approaching characters or as a punishment
  • Don't charge your sun salutation, become an arrhythmic super scope
  • As WFT your A jab is very fast, you can use this as a sort of counter; ending in a burial. (Which is best followed by the down smash, sending them horizontal.)
  • Dash attack for apporach
  • Side Smash, down smash and Sun Salutation is what I use when priority is an issue.
  • Save your deep breathing for the endgame, if possible, as the improved launch becomes more important at high %'s

mat7772

Smash Cadet
Thank you fancy, and I've kind of found myself waiting for the right oppurtunity and then capitalising on their mistakes. Aggressive players such as fox and falcon I'm good with, but today I played a decent mario who's fireballs would eat up all of my projectiles, he'd even move torwards me and just fireball back. I found this to be a huge problem.

As WFT should I be making sure not to hive my opponent that much, or any breathing space?

elegyempty

Smash Rookie
Thank you fancy, and I've kind of found myself waiting for the right oppurtunity and then capitalising on their mistakes. Aggressive players such as fox and falcon I'm good with, but today I played a decent mario who's fireballs would eat up all of my projectiles, he'd even move torwards me and just fireball back. I found this to be a huge problem.

As WFT should I be making sure not to hive my opponent that much, or any breathing space?
you can trump certain projectiles by charging SS more, or simply bouncing header around them. if you read a short-hop, you can hit people with the fast header pretty easily and it goes over almost everything.

another thing you can do is take advantage of WFT's great air dodge + deep breathing to mix up your aerial momentum and bait out openings

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I breathe deeply right away. I understand its mainly used for knockback, but the little percentages really add up!
By the time the opponent is ready to be killed, you can deep breathe again at the same pace, without having the counter be slow.

Top Bottom