• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being a Zelda main is kind of lonesome.

StarMoral

Smash Rookie
NNID
StarMoral5
I main Zelda mainly because she is underplayed. HORRIDLY underplayed. I know she's not the best character, but that doesn't mean she's not good.

ANYWAY, What I'm here to ask is, what do you think about Zelda? How do you play her(if you do)? Do you think she deserves more attention, or should she stay low tier?

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
but that doesn't mean she's not good.
Well she certainly isn't decent.

ANYWAY, What I'm here to ask is, what do you think about Zelda? How do you play her(if you do)? Do you think she deserves more attention, or should she stay low tier?
I don't think much of Zelda. I didn't play her often in the past and I certainly don't play as her now now that I've stopped playing Smash 4 as often.

No, I do not think she should stay low tier, but what I think doesn't matter since I'm not the one in charge. Sakurai is the one in charge.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'd love to see more players on the scenes pick up Zelda tbh. She is underplayed. If she ever WERE to break out of low tier, she'd need to be recognized as an alright character.

That said she simply doesn't seem fit for a place above low tier. Among her "low tier piers" she's also getting paid dust as far as improvements. Her throw combos stay only somewhat reliable while all of Zard, Robin, DK, and Bowser have hilarious grab reward now. Her hitboxes and frame data are both rather subpar, or only one is good and the other is poor. Her mobility is also poor. There isn't really a thing she does well aside KO power, but a lot of her best KO power is tied to high risk moves like FW Elevator, Usmash, and LKs.

I mostly play overly careful Zelda. I end up probably missing combo opportunities every now and then because none of it feels guaranteed enough, and Zelda is so free to punish sometimes. But then I randomly do something dumb and risky, which usually ends up failing :secretkpop: but I'm no amazing player so that's just me lol.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Hmm i think Zelda is cute ^_^ lmao nah she looks like a goomba from the live action Mario Bros. movie haha.

Lately i have been playing her well actually. As in i have improved alot in the past month. Learning to be actually aggressive with some of her dumb moves like dins fire and weird stuff that make me lose haha. But most successfully with *FaroresWind Ledge Cancles and surprise wavebouce/bverse Phantom or DinsFire.
So to put short i play her 'stupidly'. And i have fun...

And I don't care about what kind of attention she is getting. Im happy suprising people with what she can do. But yeah it'd be interesting to see a top player pick her up...LOL. thats never gonna happen.

I honestly think she'll be poop-tier forever<3 That or until they change her moveset -drastically. Since they don't really seem to know what to do with her current one, sadly.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Being a zelda main doesn't have to be so lonesome, because there are a lot of us mains out there, it's just that we aren't as vocal in media like forums for whatever reason. With more popular characters, most players can lurk and benefit from the discoveries and guides provided by the more vocal players. With Zelda we sort of need to accept that if WE dont develop her meta ourselves, and create the dialogue she needs to facilitate growth and discovery, then nobody else will.

I play a very technical rushdown zelda. I use her ATs often and i like to apporach and pressure the opponent.
What ATs do you find to be the most useful? The only one I've found to be even remotely practical is wavebounced phantoms, but I would love to hear what youre doing. Also how do you approach? I feel somewhat handicapped with zelda since her approach game isnt very safe, so I tend to play her more reactively.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Being a zelda main doesn't have to be so lonesome, because there are a lot of us mains out there, it's just that we aren't as vocal in media like forums for whatever reason. With more popular characters, most players can lurk and benefit from the discoveries and guides provided by the more vocal players. With Zelda we sort of need to accept that if WE dont develop her meta ourselves, and create the dialogue she needs to facilitate growth and discovery, then nobody else will.

What ATs do you find to be the most useful? The only one I've found to be even remotely practical is wavebounced phantoms, but I would love to hear what youre doing. Also how do you approach? I feel somewhat handicapped with zelda since her approach game isnt very safe, so I tend to play her more reactively.
Love Jumping is great. You can B-reverse Love Jump. There's also a good fake out with it which is jumping one way and Love Jumping the other. Those are two mix-ups along with the regular Love Jump.

Teleport Cancelling is useful.

I use Foxtrot-Canceling in my movement.

I approach with SH N-air, and SH D-air

Last edited:

DinsFireIsOP

Smash Cadet
No characters deserve to be garbage tier. But actually I don't want her buffed too much, part of what makes her fun to my mind is to obliterate your opponent with a character having a lot of weaknesses. So I hope Sakurai will be moderate in the next Utilt buff, no more than 0.2 % plz.

As for how I play her: badly, I guess, I'm not really into purely competitive Smash. I use an agressive-passive approach : always approach the opponent, but stop right in front of him and wait for him to commit first. Works well against players who never fought a Zelda. Works horribly against the others.

PsychoPuff23

Smash Rookie
I Love to Play Zelda but the smash gimmick of this character make her a character not for competitive level but it's very funny to play Zelda and she is not as bad as in Melee.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Another Zelda main here. I'm not saying that I'm good at all, and I know that I'm no where near it, but every time I play somebody locally, I use Zelda and they give me that Lenny face of confidence. That face that says "Zelda? Who tf is this guy, I'm about to 3-0 this scrub". I usually beat their cakes in. I've actually been told many, many times that the way I play my Zelda is hated, lol. She's just so damn fun and horribly, HORRIBLY underestimated 99% of the time.

PsychoPuff23

Smash Rookie
Another Zelda main here. I'm not saying that I'm good at all, and I know that I'm no where near it, but every time I play somebody locally, I use Zelda and they give me that Lenny face of confidence. That face that says "Zelda? Who tf is this guy, I'm about to 3-0 this scrub". I usually beat their cakes in. I've actually been told many, many times that the way I play my Zelda is hated, lol. She's just so damn fun and horribly, HORRIBLY underestimated 99% of the time.
yes i know this.
It's very funny to make this with Samus and jigglypuff

WiserThanYou

Smash Cadet
Not only is Zelda underplayed, but she's also horribly underestimated. Good Zelda players can wipe the floor with top tiers if they play her right. I'm not saying I'm good (because I'm not lmao), but its so satisfying to beat cocky Falcons and ZSS'.

Zelda's main downfall is her lack of options, and even the options she does have aren't all that effective. She's one of the more technical characters in the roster, which is why I think she's hardly used. She's bad but good at the same time.

ViviLion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3224-2888
i haven't had internet for a few months, i just recently got it back, and after playing a bit of zelda in for glory this morning, i have too much fun with her, despite how bad i am, so i'm maining her from now on

she's not good, but she easily punishes projectile scrubs who main characters like villager and ness, i've even started a youtube channel and uploaded a couple of the stupid matches i played this morning to youtube, one of which i got a 0-death on a ZSS, in a very hilarious way, probably gonna keep uploading zelda matches until i get bored of this game, which is unlikely, she may not be recognizable on a tier list, but she's fun as all hell to play, especially when you can just turn off your brain and spam nayrus love and win cause your opponent is braindead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4AcoZyWvLI (0-death on ZSS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZlY6hL41w (winning by spamming love)

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I find when maining a low tier your perspective and attitude play an even more massive role than normal. keep in mind you probably have a better understanding about the MU you're in than your opponent does. Because you're in "J tier" (seriously 4BR?) you have the knowledge advantage, own it. If you lose, focus on the method in which your opponent beat you and come here to get advice from all those who have walked this path before you. The communities of Low Tier characters have advice on all the tough MU's, and there's a stronger bond there because you work together to push the meta for a neglected character (design or perception wise).

I currently Main Samus,
my recent secondary addition was Ganon, and I just started toying with Zelda a bit, so understand the frustration that comes with this choice. but if you maybe try this mindset out, maybe it'll be less awful. Its worked for me so far at least.

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
Zelda is a valued member of my "elite 4." I certainly don't think of her as useless or weak. I've used her countless times to defeat high tier characters like Sheik and Diddy. The people who play these characters are indeed formidable, but not unbeatable if you know what to do. Sure there are characters that are harder to beat than others, but isn't that what makes it more fun? Anyway, my take on Zelda is she's under used and underestimated. If more people could unlock her hidden potential and use her in tournaments, people would know what I'm talking about.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
User was warned for this post
I remember this thread

"Look at me Ima special snowflake" - The Thread

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I remember this thread

"Look at me Ima special snowflake" - The Thread
"Look at me i'm an 'edgey' douchebag with nothing better to do. So I will post a second pointless comment in same (necro'd) thread." -The SB profile.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
"Look at me i'm an 'edgey' douchebag with nothing better to do. So I will post a second pointless comment in same (necro'd) thread." -The SB profile.
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, my dear =]

_.GREGXRY._

Smash Rookie
NNID
gregory060998
I believe she has allot of potential. If you can read your opponent correctly you can land some sweet spots to rack up damage along with her down throw to up air (also a kill move) the only thing I dislike about Zelda is her phantom being so predictable but other than that she's a good character for me to have as a secondary.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, my dear =]
That is probably the stupidest thing i have ever read on here. So congrats. lmao. This is the internet, what are you going to do, reach out of my phone and fight me? Why are you even posting on this thread you imbecile.

_.GREGXRY._ _.GREGXRY._ I's say phantom is a pretty great special, you should give it another chance. Try shooting a full charged one at the moment gets up from the ledge since if you time it right, covers most their options, possibly sets up punishes. That, or utilize its spacing ability by jumping away > then Phantom. Just a few ideas. Hope it works out for ya eventually.

Kadae

Lover of Tea
I've always found Zelda to be incredibly fun to play, especially when playing more offensively than defensively. Landing knockout moves feels so satisfying!

Top Bottom