• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beating Campers

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys.

I just had a string of really terrible For Glory matches against a campy Rosalina, a campy Palutena, a campy Link, and a campy Lucario. Apparently, my biggest weakness in my Greninja playstyle is that I get out-camped extremely hard. I try to play more defensively, but it seems like people who play campy always have an answer for what I do.

Is there anything you guys recommend to beat campers? How do I get past their projectile walls and roll-dodges? I just can't wrap my head around it.

Roy115

Smash Cadet
Hi guys.

I just had a string of really terrible For Glory matches against a campy Rosalina, a campy Palutena, a campy Link, and a campy Lucario. Apparently, my biggest weakness in my Greninja playstyle is that I get out-camped extremely hard. I try to play more defensively, but it seems like people who play campy always have an answer for what I do.

Is there anything you guys recommend to beat campers? How do I get past their projectile walls and roll-dodges? I just can't wrap my head around it.
Jump over the arrows, boomerang, etc. after just trick them, it usually works.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Shoot shurikens at almost full charge instead of full because 8% single hit has a better chance to cancel than 2% multi hits.

Spirst

Shoot shurikens at almost full charge instead of full because 8% single hit has a better chance to cancel than 2% multi hits.
Not only that, but well-spaced full shurikens have an interesting property in that they're canceled out by almost nothing.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Umm...ok no to the neutral B stuff. Or at least in a lot of these matches.

Rosalina- some neutral b, and aim for the luma. Don't bother charging often as she can basically just down B on reaction if it's a threat, and otherwise won't care. Your goal is to chip away at the luma and then get in there when it's dead and rack up the damage/pressure.

Palutina- just pretend you don't have a neutral B. it'd be easier and safer. Reflector is just such a good move that you can only very rarely throw them out. You need her to be worried about your physical approach if you ever want to use projectiles. Other than that, shadow sneak can punish homing shot from the right range...sorta, and beyond that it's a lot of frogger until you get in, then just do your best to wreck her. As always, good air approach tools matter(nair mostly, bair works too, fair is ok if spaced right). Really it's just getting in. Of note, at the right spot you can shadow sneak past her wall to punish her. It's not quite on reaction, but if they aren't looking for it you get nail them.

Link- him you can shoot back at. You won't out camp him, but do a decent mix of aggression and neutral B spam to keep him guessing and punish his sword attacks(you'll need to bait them right). Again, shadow sneak has surprising uses in these matchups when you're close.

Lucario- uh...how did he camp you exactly? All he's got is shadow ball, and B just wins that one hands down. You can easily out spam him, and other than that just read his rolls and practice punishing them(which is just something that's harder than it should be).

T0MMY

Smash Master
Best advice I heard for Greninja: Just play a lot of Frogger until you can get in.
RotFLaffin!
That's going to be my generic Gren advice from now on.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
^^The Lucario was just rolling and charging his Shadow Ball the whole match, and it was stupidly hard to punish. I couldn't charge a whole WS before getting a shadow ball to the face. And I was just really whiffing on roll punishes.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
^^The Lucario was just rolling and charging his Shadow Ball the whole match, and it was stupidly hard to punish. I couldn't charge a whole WS before getting a shadow ball to the face. And I was just really whiffing on roll punishes.
"Shadow Ball"?. Looks like we got a Mewtwo fan here XD

Anyway regarding campers try to outcamp with the Shuriken (is faster and has more range than Lucario's Aura Sphere and most other projectiles). Obviously you're gonna be outmatched by Link/ToonLink's projectiles so try and avoid them while closing in.
When you get in close range observe how they react. If they go for grabs, sidestep then punish. If they go for smashes, shield and punish. If they roll away/try to escape, predict and punish. When avoiding their projectiles try to not be too predictable or they can read you and punish any rolls/shadow sneaks :)

Top Bottom