• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bayo's on-hit screams......

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280

It's been a while since I played Bayonetta1, but did she ever scream like this in game on hit? I just remember grunts, not screams...

I feel like SSB4's voice effects are all around iffy. Fox's constant "YEOW", Ness' "EYAH", female WFT's bizarre "EYOWW", and Bayo is sadly following suit, here.

It just feels wrong. Bayonetta is a badass, and a scream is like admitting that your opponent has just done serious harm to you, especially when the scream sounds like one of mortal terror.

I'd much rather she just grunted instead. A grunt is a better involuntary reaction because it doesn't acknowledge being hit as anything more of a minor inconvenience.

I wonder half the voice talents in the game have listened to some of the on-hit reactions and said, "THAT'S the take they went with?!"

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I think everyone overreacts to the voices in this game. Like, Fox's voice was annoying for about 5 minutes, and then I was over it lol. Same for WFT, Ness, Bayo, and pretty much any other character who was deemed annoying. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
In her games, Bayo is only as badass as the player.
If you hear the scream, you probably deserve it.
Just follow this foolproof, 10/10, pro approved, totally serious tactic:
don't get hit

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I will admit, at first it weirded me out, because that's not how she sounded in her games when she took damage. In Smash 4, I was expecting Bayonetta's damage cries to be disgruntled, defiant grunts of pain--the sound alone of which would clearly say, "You'll pay for that!"

That said, however, in the end it's not bad voice acting. Having watched her gameplay videos myriad times now, I'm already over it. I'm just overjoyed she's actually in the game; I honestly didn't think it would ever happen, despite mine best wishes.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I will admit, at first it weirded me out, because that's not how she sounded in her games when she took damage. In Smash 4, I was expecting Bayonetta's damage cries to be disgruntled, defiant grunts of pain--the sound alone of which would clearly say, "You'll pay for that!"
YES!!! This is exactly what I was expecting as well!

Every hit should elicit a grunt that seems to say "You got lucky, punk! It won't happen again." or like you said, "You'll PAY for that!"

Just follow this foolproof, 10/10, pro approved, totally serious tactic:
don't get hit
I'm more worried about having to hit Bayonetta.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
I just think it's weird how she's like "AAAAAAHHHH" when she get's hit, but when she explodes off the blast zone she just goes "guh" and that's it

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
Well we should all remember that this is Bayonetta in Smash and maybe the screeching is kinda Smash-esque? Or maybe these attacks in Smash actually hurt compared to Angels and Sages?

I swear in one of her screams she yells "YASSSSS"

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Yeah it sounds like garbage. Too bad the game doesn't have a SF4 esque dual audio option.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I think it's meant to represent how punishing getting hit felt in Bayo. The game straight up froze when you got hit and the camera panned around to show you your screwup before letting you play again

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
It's exegarated to provide feedback. In the same way we get enlarged fists, slash blurs, rumble, and hitlag, these audio cues are helpful for players to understand that they're hitting and being hit.

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
It does sound annoying but I'll probably get over it.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
She does scream sort of like that, but only when taking a massive hit. That, and there's some threshold in her games that whenever your healthbar hits a certain point, the next attack has massive (~1s) hitlag. Even weak attacks will trigger this massive hitlag and the accompanying scream.

It's going to be strange hearing it after every attack, but I'm going to wait until my update finishes downloading before declaring it The Worst Thing Ever(tm).

I am of the opinion that the first Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made, or at least the best I've played. If I thought this was BS, I'd be one of the first people ******** on the internet about it..

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I will say it does make my ears bleed to the point that it's probably even worse than Fox's screaming voice.

hmbtnguy

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure she screams exactly like that in her games when you get hit with a stronger attack or die.

I guess Smash just doesn't differentiate the on-hit screams based on damage.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Yeah, the constant screams are annoying. Those should have been hear death yells.

Seems like we've got a bigger problem, though: Bayonetta sucks.

Top Bottom