• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle arena levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacmen

Smash Rookie
Been playing ultimate online since it came out, and I’m having issues with battle arena.

The “types” I can set when I create a lobby are any, beginner, serious, expert, anything goes and free (translation may be inaccurate).

Problem is there is no “medium” or “casual” level, as far as I know. If I don’t want to play against beginners, I’m bound to play people way above my level, and that’s no fun.

I mean, stupid kids that crouch like monkeys when they have ko’d me, I can handle, but there are players I hold no chance against, and I’d rather play against people around my level.

Is there an official “medium” setting when creating a lobby? My block list is full. (Which is another issue nintendo should address. If they cannot improve their matching system, they should at least give us unlimited block list

Crescentium

Smash Cadet
I usually treat Veteran as medium and Playground as free, but honestly, battle arena levels are vague and kind of a crapshoot. You can have people vary widely in skill regardless of the battle arena level. Best thing to do, as tedious and probably time consuming as this will be, is try to find someone you can go even with, maybe even someone slightly better than you so you can learn stuff from them. Best of luck!

Last edited:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Yeah, as far as I have seen, most players treat the "any" section as a low/intermediate, and the "veteran" section as an intermediate/high setting. That said, with only self reported matchmaking, they can all have pretty high variance.

Pacmen

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I assume certain variance, if only because of each one’s perception of one’s skill, or even how you feel that particular day.

Would it kill the game to show player score and see who you are dealing with? That way you’d know if you entered the right lobby or kick those with a much higher or lower score

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The thing is, there's no way to prevent very low level players from going into Glorious arenas, and no way of preventing high level players from going into Playground arenas. In doing so, you create another layer of segregation that could prevent players looking to practice against better players so they can get better themselves, which is what creates part of the negative stigma attributed to Quickplay/Elite Smash. And if you made a point system of some kind for arenas as well, you run into similar problems that you run into with Quickplay. People playing for points, not for practice or enjoyment. So you'll run into players who are way better than their score shows, and players who abused the point system and inflated themselves far beyond their skill.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Is there any actual difference between the different types besides the label that the arena gets?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Is there any actual difference between the different types besides the label that the arena gets?
No. Just "unspoken rules" of who generally joins what arena type.

Flameduck

Smash Cadet
No. Just "unspoken rules" of who generally joins what arena type.
The beginner arenas actually get locked after you reach a certain point and you can't create or join arenas of that type. (Sorry for the bump)

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The beginner arenas actually get locked after you reach a certain point and you can't create or join arenas of that type. (Sorry for the bump)
Last I checked I can still join arenas of any type, and I’ve been playing since day 1. So I’m not believing this.

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Last I checked I can still join arenas of any type, and I’ve been playing since day 1. So I’m not believing this.
I can confirm it though. After about a week, maybe two weeks, I lost the ability to create or join "Beginners Only" arenas. No idea how the game determines when you're cut off from that option.

I really would like a specific "average smashers" option, but it's a minor thing at this point for me. The only real changes I desire for arenas are an option for Squad Strike and host ability to change rules w/o closing the arena and re-creating.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Wait, I had no idea there was an arena type called Beginners Only. Either I didn't notice it or I already fell out of beginner territory before I even started playing arenas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom