• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Upthrow->rest question

Rawm

Smash Rookie
I just started learning puff and I understand for up throw rest if they are above about 35% after the throw, you have to double jump to get the rest and only single jump if they are under. However, I find myself always double jumping as I either do a short hop -> jump rest or just 2 full hops depending how high they go. Is this strategy okay or should I try to learn to look at percentage and decide whether to do 1 full hop or 2 jumps? Also is there a way to buffer the jump after the up throw? Sometimes I input my jump too soon and end up not jumping :/

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter whether you double jump or not, makes basically no difference. Also you can buffer jump after up throw by holding Shield + C-stick up during the throw animation, but it honestly doesn't seem worth it, since it'll probably just delay you from upthrowing instantly after the grab, giving your opponent more time to DI. It might also create a bad habit for when you want to shorthop or delay your jump after Uthrow.

Rawm

Smash Rookie
It doesn't matter whether you double jump or not, makes basically no difference. Also you can buffer jump after up throw by holding Shield + C-stick up during the throw animation, but it honestly doesn't seem worth it, since it'll probably just delay you from upthrowing instantly after the grab, giving your opponent more time to DI. It might also create a bad habit for when you want to shorthop or delay your jump after Uthrow.
So for jumping out of the upthrow would you recommend spam jumping or just learning the timing?

Mtank

Smash Cadet
I like to use visual cues mixed with muscle memory. Basically just whenever you up-throw, spam jump while looking at the spacie and rest as soon as puff is inside the spacie. Sounds simple but that's how I learned it.

Last edited:

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
Also you can buffer jump after up throw by holding Shield + C-stick up during the throw animation, but it honestly doesn't seem worth it, since it'll probably just delay you from upthrowing instantly after the grab, giving your opponent more time to DI. It might also create a bad habit for when you want to shorthop or delay your jump after Uthrow.
I disagree. I love this technique. It's what I use and regretted not starting with it and having to learn the muscle memory later.
-You can up throw with C-Stick so you're already in the position to do the buffer after the throw
-You never have to worry about changing up the jump timing between spacies
-It's 100% consistent and only one frame slower than perfect
-The time before you can act out of the throw is easily enough for you to decide to do something else

The only possible con is if you can average faster than jumping on frame 2 out of the throw on both spaces, which I'd be surprised if anyone could. I don't see why you're saying it would delay your up throw. You don't even have to throw with the C-Stick to use this technique if you don't want to (I'm assuming that's what you think would be slower).

Last edited:
Top Bottom