• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Basic Marth Combos For Beginners

Hamster3083

Smash Rookie
Hamster3083 submitted a new guide:

Basic Marth Combos For Beginners - Marth isn't like how he was in Melee, but with this guide, potential emerges!

I haven't tested these combos on Wii U because i only have a 3DS, so if anyone can say if they work, thank you. Also if anyone has any combos i haven't found, don't hesitate to put it down below :)
Introduction
Anyways, you might of played Melee or Brawl Marth, and understood how good he was, but in this game he's been nerfed a lot. Ken even said he sucked in Smash 4, but while playing Marth in SM4SH, i found out he still has potential, though he's not as good as...
Read more about this guide...

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
LOTS OF BAD ADVICE IN HERE

"Up throw/Down Throw to Up air is one of the most common combos for marth, because of how easy it is to do or learn, so you'll see most marths doing this combo. Basically, if you can do Grab, Up Throw and Up air in a row, you can do it! This does about 13%, but if you do Down Throw instead of Up Throw, it'll result at 14%. To increase the damage you can do your grab attack, but do it quick otherwise they'll break free. A tip when using this, is that you should always go for down throws instead of up throws at higher percents.
To avoid this move, air dodge just as they are about do up air, or if you are a character like link, use your projectiles to space you and your opponent away, as marth has no projectiles.
You can air dodge, to fast fall, to whatever you want if you want to punish them."

Don't ever use Uthrow unless it's for killing or for setting-up Counters on really really bad Bowsers. Uthrow doesn't combo. This is common knowledge. A grab attack is a pummel. You should never go for Dthrows at high percents. No one will ever air dodge. Really? At high percents (before Uthrows kills) you want to throw people OFF-STAGE.

"Up Throw/Down Throw to Back Air.
Not a commonly used combo, because most people Air Dodge or DI out of it, but if they don't you can follow up with a F-Air or F-Tilt Which is around 21% for the whole thing. But small characters will most likely DI out of it.
Avoid by air dodging.
Punish with a up tilt, up air or up smash."

Again please don't use Uthrow. You should never do a Fair after that either. Fair for some stupid reason doesn't hit above Marth.

"And probably the worst one:
Up Throw to N-air. Does around 11%. Kinda useful, but better if you use any of the 2 above. DI out of it, punish with down air, if you're still in the air."

Nair is as thin as paper. NO. And never punish with Dair in that situation. Or almost ANY situation. Don't even Uthrow. OMG.

"So, let's start with my fave.
Dthrow, Bair, Fair, Dthrow, Bair, Fair, Fair, Dair, or what i'm going to call it: Down Throw Ultimate Combo (DTUC).
This will take a while to execute, but with practice, you know it like the back of your hand. You will have to be quick though, so practice in slow motion. (From 0%) You down throw, to back air, to follow up with a forward air, you should do this quick and now be on the ground. Either, you can do a smash, or you can grab and do this: Down throw, back air, forward air, forward air, and if you're off the stage, down air (Just note there it a very small chance of you doing this.)
Please note most small characters like kirby can DI out of this.
If you encounter this combo, just DI, no matter what."

Please stop. Instead of having people memorize this ridiculous string of punishable crap, you are much better off telling people to wing it.

"A extended version of the upthrow to upair, is just following up with a back air, and maybe a fair. It's better to use DTUC, but if you can't do it, it might be better.
Note it's easy to DI out or punish this, so learn DTUC."

DON'T LEARN DTUS (s for set-up since it's not a combo). Like OMG. Marth's aerial strings come natural. You should literally wing it.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Oh, wow, I didn't see this.

@ Vipermoon Vipermoon is totally right here. This is really bad advice.

Marth's throw combos outside of customs are essentially non-existant. U-Throw you shouldn't ever use outside of killing at high percents. (See here for a list: http://smashboards.com/threads/marths-uthrow-kill-s-for-every-character.389107/). D-throw and F-throw get you some combos (u/bair and fair respectively) at low percents, U-throw doesn't. Don't use it as a combo throw, because that's not what it is.

Marth's aerial strings (strings, not combos, remember that) are just what Vipermoon64 said. Natural. Winging it is what you should be doing.

You might want to check out this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/read-me-marths-competitive-resource-thread.382874/

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I want to build upon why I used the word wing. Every character Marth faces has different stats (fall speed, gravity, weight, etc.) and with the combination of tippers/sours, rage, character stats, tumble/non-tumble knockback; you have to watch your opponent's position (and next move) before you know what to do next. Memorizing a string of moves won't help. I mean sure, Dthrow > Bair > Uair > fast fall > Utilt is awesome and all (IMO this one is DTUS, that or Dthrow > air dodge > tipper Usmash) and is technically memorized, but you obviously can't always get away with something crazy like that.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
oh wow... this guide. Very... umm... wishful. Looks like Viper already got to it, lol. I appreciate the enthusiasm though.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Marths combo game is pretty pitiful in reality. He can do true combos from dthrow to uair until around mid percents (depending on character weights). If people begin air dodging, you can bait those out for continued follow ups, although those aren't really combos.

Fair can occasionally combo into itself, but that's extraordinarily rare.

Falling nair can lead to fairs, dancing blade, and dash attack occasionally.

Marths most reliable combo started is probably his falling uair. From uair you can combo into a lot of things depending on percentages such as grab, utilit, fsmash, fair, and another uair. A good way to set up a falling uair combo is by approaching using a dancing blade right after a short hop.

Top Bottom