• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Humba was created so that Mumbo could be playable. Which I always thought was stupid and uneeded. Just give Mumbo his old role back and forget Humba like they did with Brentilda.
The thing about Humba Wumba was her specialty really was transformation magic. Mumbo Jumbo's transformations in Banjo-Kazooie were all pretty puny and weak compared to Humba's, only being able to transform Banjo & Kazooie in some worlds into things such as a termite, a crocodile (which was admittedly pretty effective honestly), a walrus, a pumpkin, a bee, and sometimes mistakenly a washing machine! Humba meanwhile transformed Banjo & Kazooie in every world and all her transformations had ways of defending themselves, such as a 'stony', a detonator, a van, a submarine, a washing machine again but with launchable underwear (LOL), a snowball that grew in the Icy Side, a bee again but with stingers and speedy flight, and most importantly A FREAKING TYRANNOSAURUS REX. Mumbo was much more effective in his other magic spells in Tooie, summoning the Golden Goliath, levitating heavy objects, powering amusement park equipment, oxygenizing an entire underwater world, enlarging objects (including sexy Humba Wumba herself lmao), causing electromagnetic pulses that made Grunty Industries go haywire, bring freaking aliens back from the dead, and summon and control rain! I had a huge crush on Humba Wumba as a kid, honestly got pretty disappointed with her redesign. I get wanting to make her less stereotypical Native American, but they made her look much younger than she did in Tooie. Poor Brentilda and Tooty though. They really did get sidelined after the first game.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm saying from a gameplay perspective it was a bad decision to have Mumbo be playable. There's no reason why Mumbo couldn't have done those same transformations Humba performed.

Mumbo being playable was no fun. You basically have him run to a specific spot and cast a spell. That's it. Why have him be a playable character when you could just have Banjo and Kazooie hit a switch that does the same thing. Like instead of getting Mumbo to lift that boulder with the Jiggy, Banjo could just activate a crane that lifts it.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yeah I fliped my **** as a kid when i saw i coulod play as mumbo ! ( should of gave him more to do tho)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When it comes to characters, having them playable is still fun because you like the character. Just because you could handle it another way doesn't make it a better option. This is similar to how people feel about Assist Trophies. Not surprising.

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
I think A very good intro to an announcement trailer would be Banjo's Theme from Banjo-Tooie. (0:00-0:15)
The silence right before the banjo part picks up as well as the part before the "brass" joins in would be the token character screen (Banjo-Kazooie get jiggy with it, etc.) (0:16-0:18)
then the gameplay is shown during the rest of the song. (0:18-end)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I liked Mumbo as a character ,But in Tooie he wasn't very fun to use and I kind of dreaded having to go across the other side of the world just to switch as him and then go back to the other side that I was just in just to activate something and then go back to his hut to switch back to Banjo-Kazooie, He was Slower, Limited jumping ability, Lower health bar and only 1 attack (At least solo Banjo can double jump with Pack Whack and recover health by napping).

Banjo and Kazooie were at least more fleshed out when seperated. (No surprise since they are the main characters)

While Donkey Kong 64 was somewhat overwhelming at times at least the Kong's were unique, fleshed out, Served a bigger purpose and were still fun to play as and that was 5 characters.

Mumbo is a great character, But they should have fleshed him out a lot more as a playable character or left him as the Shaman transformer like in the first game. (There was no really need for Humba Wumba)

His implementation in Banjo-Tooie was half assed.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
When it comes to characters, having them playable is still fun because you like the character. Just because you could handle it another way doesn't make it a better option. This is similar to how people feel about Assist Trophies. Not surprising.
Well that's a different case. In a multiplayer fighting game, the more the merrier. But in a single player adventure game, each playable character really needs to feel useful towards progressing the game. Playing as Mumbo wasn't fun because there wasn't much you could do with him. He had that one thing you needed for him to do in each world and then that's it. And worse than that, it felt like a chore considering how much back-and-forth traveling you had to do in that game.

Imagine if in Smash Ultimate in order to play as another character in World of Light you had to travel all the way to a certain spot on the map to switch your character and then said character is only useful for solving one puzzle. That would be horrible.

Was I excited to play as Mumbo? Ofcourse! He's awesome. Was I highly disappointed in what I got? Absolutely. My argument basically boils down to this: in Banjo-Tooie they half-assed playable Mumbo. And if they can't have him doing something that makes him more a part of the team, then he might as well go back to his original roll.

EDIT: ChunkySlugger beat me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well that's a different case. In a multiplayer fighting game, the more the merrier. But in a single player adventure game, each playable character really needs to feel useful towards progressing the game. Playing as Mumbo wasn't fun because there wasn't much you could do with him. He had that one thing you needed for him to do in each world and then that's it. And worse than that, it felt like a chore considering how much back-and-forth traveling you had to do in that game.

Imagine if in Smash Ultimate in order to play as another character in World of Light you had to travel all the way to a certain spot on the map to switch your character and then said character is only useful for solving one puzzle. That would be horrible.

Was I excited to play as Mumbo? Ofcourse! He's awesome. Was I highly disappointed in what I got? Absolutely. My argument basically boils down to this: in Banjo-Tooie they half-***** playable Mumbo. And if they can't have him doing something that makes him more a part of the team, then he might as well go back to his original roll.
I'm saying people like Mumbo so him being playable was a cool idea.

I'm not saying it was executed well enough. I vastly prefer more playable characters, but I don't like how it's always executed.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I loved playing as Mumbo in Tooie, though I wished he would have done more in the game. It does kinda suck that he only had one attack and couldn't really do much else beside the spells, jumping, and his magic stick. His updated design was a huge plus to him from B-K to Tooie. And also I really enjoyed his characterization in Tooie and making him more involved with the story.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I liked Mumbo as a character ,But in Tooie he wasn't very fun to use and I kind of dreaded having to go across the other side of the world just to switch as him and then go back to the other side that I was just in just to activate something and then go back to his hut to switch back to Banjo-Kazooie, He was Slower, Limited jumping ability, Lower health bar and only 1 attack (At least solo Banjo can double jump with Pack Whack and recover health by napping).

Banjo and Kazooie were at least more fleshed out when seperated. (No surprise since they are the main characters)

While Donkey Kong 64 was somewhat overwhelming at times at least the Kong's were unique, fleshed out, Served a bigger purpose and were still fun to play as and that was 5 characters.

Mumbo is a great character, But they should have fleshed him out a lot more as a playable character or left him as the Shaman transformer like in the first game. (There was no really need for Humba Wumba)

His implementation in Banjo-Tooie was half *****.
I can understand not giving Mumbo a lot of moves. It was hard enough to keep track of the moves learned for Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo, and Kazooie. Adding a whole other moveset would have been overwhelming. However, instead what they gave Mumbo to do was underwhelming. You find a glowbo, talk to him, walk with Mumbo to a convenient pad with his face on it, press a button, done. I think the best one was the goliath, because you at least... did something. I think what they should have done is have Mumbo use his magic to solve puzzles that must be completed by Mumbo himself. Given Banjo & Kazooie are as overpowered as they are, having to play as another character with far limited mobility adds an extra challenging element. It would have also limited the backtracking.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I can understand not giving Mumbo a lot of moves. It was hard enough to keep track of the moves learned for Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo, and Kazooie. Adding a whole other moveset would have been overwhelming. However, instead what they gave Mumbo to do was underwhelming. You find a glowbo, talk to him, walk with Mumbo to a convenient pad with his face on it, press a button, done. I think the best one was the goliath, because you at least... did something. I think what they should have done is have Mumbo use his magic to solve puzzles that must be completed by Mumbo himself. Given Banjo & Kazooie are as overpowered as they are, having to play as another character with far limited mobility adds an extra challenging element. It would have also limited the backtracking.
Your best bet is to have a Super Mario 3D World type scenario where every character is capable of completing a level (or in the case of Banjo-Tooie, getting the Jiggy) but they all have their unique quirks. Mumbo should be capable of getting all the same Jiggies Banjo can but he does it a little differently. Trying to design specific tasks for each individual character can be hard, so this would be an easier way of doing that.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Um fellas a new trailer for smash was released and i didn't want to watch it because it had a newcomer so......i'm not ready.

Fellas?........Answer

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Please if they gave mumbo more to do in Tooie you would be complaining that there was to much to do as him like in DK 64 with the kongs who could only get diffrent color bananas "OH why can i only collect these items as mumbo ? there are to many thing i have to do as him"

I think the simplisity, low health & one attack was a good enough challenge in its self any more would have been over kill with how much was in tooie already, split pads, transformations & so on

just think of mumbo as a transormation as that is basacly what he is macanically

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
In an adventure game primarily about p

Your best bet is to have a Super Mario 3D World type scenario where every character is capable of completing a level (or in the case of Banjo-Tooie, getting the Jiggy) but they all have their unique quirks. Mumbo should be capable of getting all the same Jiggies Banjo can but he does it a little differently. Trying to design specific tasks for each individual character can be hard, so this would be an easier way of doing that.
I like that idea--I especially love when games give more freedom to make a game easier or more difficult by the player's choice, and not have artificial means of gating a player's progress.

Outside of that, I was thinking of making Mumbo more fun and unique to play. For instance, you could give him a magical hover ability, allow him to crouch and do different attacks when he crouches. Give him a spin move. Make him more mobile, similar to Banjo & Kazooie at the start of their first game, and then have time limited puzzles that for Tooie B&K would be simple, but are more challenging as Mumbo. Could add fun stuff, like different magic abilities when he uses his wand--toggling R, he could transform enemies into funny, useless objects.

I don't think multiple playable characters fit Banjo & Kazooie as well as other titles. I have always wanted a new Sonic Adventure style game with the characters from 1 and 2, as well as Blaze and Cream. It works given the history of the characters there (though, some still hate it when Sonic makes his friends playable, which has made the newer games less fun as a result). Perhaps in a fantasy scenario you could add characters from Diddy Kong Racing with unique abilities--but in terms of the characters in Banjo-Kazooie canon, they're more there to help the duo, rather than do things themselves. Couldn't imagine creating a moveset for Bottles (closest thing would be the scrapped Bottles Revenge, which would have been a neat idea to implement).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Please if they gave mumbo more to do in Tooie you would be complaining that there was to much to do as him like in DK 64 with the kongs who could only get diffrent color bananas "OH why can i only collect these items as mumbo ? there are to many thing i have to do as him"

I think the simplisity, low health & one attack was a good enough challenge in its self any more would have been over kill with how much was in tooie already, split pads, transformations & so on

just think of mumbo as a transormation as that is basacly what he is macanically
It still wouldn't have been to the extent of DK 64 and what there can't be a middle ground or in between for Mumbo?

We are not asking for a fully playable character on the level of Banjo-Kazooie, Just that they could have given him more to do instead of just going on a pad and activating things.

The difference between Tooie and DK 64 is that Tooie you played mainly as Banjo-Kazooie and splited up when it was needed, used Mumbo sparsely and was dialed back compared to DK 64 which had 5 fully playable Kongs that had seperate items, If I'm not mistaken Banjo-Tooie doesn't really have exclusive items for characters they can be picked up by either Banjo or Kazooie and they could have done the same with Mumbo.

Last edited:

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
If you ask me, Retro Studios.
Please no. They do have great level design and game play but they absolutely failed to recapture dkc humor and Charme. And Banjo was even more about the humor than dkc was. Dkc in retros hands works. I highly doubt that BK would.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I've been away since the 13th, were there any more updates on the whole google thing? Is it dead in the water or still alive?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I've been away since the 13th, were there any more updates on the whole google thing? Is it dead in the water or still alive?
No one has proved that it was faked since everyone who tried to disprove it linked their own ads to Amazon instead of the Smash Ultimate website. I think people just got bored of it.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
While I don't believe the theory, I think most of the characters in the theory have a pretty good chance of making it in. Just switch Artorias for Chosen Undead to make it realistic.

I actually think Chosen Undead has the highest chance of the bunch.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
People are still looking into it, but the reason no one is talking about is because we've basically wrung it dry. There's nothing more we can do but wait and see. As it stands it's not debunked, we're just in a holding pattern.

We have people with similar credentials at Google contradicting each other and no one wants to risk the potential legal ramifications of replicating it themselves. At this point nothing but direct deconfirmation via E3 is left

So all we can do is wait

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I really hope we get some news or leaks officially soon. Never have we been this close to Banjo making it, but since I was a stern Isaac supporter last year, Ill handle it more gracefully than I did before if things don't pan out as we hope like how last time went for me.....

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I think Sabi is one our best clues right now
So far she and I are just waiting for info to come around, the closer we get to E3 maaaaybe something will happen. Nintendo seems to be doing better job keeping things under wraps this time around. May surely is taking long to be over with, ugh…

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the Google crew makes a ton of sense to me, even down to a hypothetical release schedule. The volume of M-rated dudes isn't a breaker for me either considering our literal fighter pass opener comes from a series that famously features a giant green **** demon.

Doomguy and Banjo would make for a bombshell E3 double reveal.

Hayabusa gets a middle of the road Pac-Man esque reveal further down the line. Not particularly world shattering but garnering a reasonably positive response.

Artorias could be the "DARK SOULS IS IN SMASH" finisher.

Top Bottom