• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bamesy's Lesson Thread

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Since I've converted to using Mario and Falcon as mains instead of 11 CHARACTERS AT RANDOM...I'm going to make one of these...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266567

for Mario.

It's the Bamesy LLL thread from the Luigi boards.

Essentially, it's about the mental game. Some will be copy pasted, but after I did, I figured I'd make the adjustments and things BEFORE copy pasting.

Enjoy reading that in the mean time. This will be your favorite thread. ;)

Jumble

Smash Apprentice
Sweeeet! That Luigi one helped me out, but now it'll help me even more here.

Go slower though please! Last time I had to keep re-reading while you edited stuff in and out all over. Just do it THEN post it?
I donno, do whatever lol

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
So I went into the mountains...
Into the lands of gods and demons...
And never continued my thread expedition...

Due to the massive delay (years) but the success of my trips...

Here's is a Thread Copy-Paste I made on the site called "Smashmods" which was for Mario in Project: M. It applies a lot to Mario in Melee, so figured it's worth re-pasting here.

Hope it helps someone/enjoy.

:)

Development Acceleration Thread Series

These threads are to provide a form of guide series aimed towards increasing the rate at both learning characters from the beginning and improving with them indefinitely.

There will be no charts regarding move collision effects or frame data in these threads. Nothing about character match-up comparisons or stage counter-picking lists. This isn’t for or from statistics or data in any way. Those concepts and details can be discussed and mentioned elsewhere on the character forums.

Both Melee direct crossed characters and from scratch PM characters will be presented the same way in their respected threads and discussed the same. Many players new to smash or coming from Brawl are not familiar with Melee characters and could use this as a means of catching up to what those characters are bringing to PM completely. Veteran Melee players can either use this as a touch up on their game or a refreshment of going over what they know and chance of relearning what they may have forgotten or not given enough attention to before. The Melee characters will likely be in more depth, and will provide an example of the depth hoped for when the PM characters are completed. As well, there is something new that every character is getting from the PM general game itself, and the Melee game is ever-changing so there is always something new to learn for even advanced and knowledgeable players.

These threads are meant to cover everything that a player will either inevitably learn about the characters or will benefit from on their personal path to learning the characters their own way.
These threads are meant to go into specifics of application and understanding about everything each character can do, but on a universal level that will aid in simply pointing out ideas utilizing the tools a player will find in the character and smash learning process at all levels.

Almost all of what’s covered in a specific character thread applies in some way to all other characters, so all threads will be useful no matter what character you play or how you play them. I’m simply going to cover the central parts that have the greatest significance to the character that each thread is directed to. Reading all threads could be beneficial to all characters, but only the focal point will be covered in each.

Developing Faculties
There will be two main topics covered (unless another topic needs to be thoroughly covered outside them) that should fulfill most of what this thread is for.

1 : Technical Faculties
This section will cover everything from difficult but necessary muscle memory requirements to the diverse application of simpler and easier actions that are all very essential.
2 : Mental Faculties
This section will cover all the things to watch for throughout the course of a match relating to your interactions with your opponents and how to manage yourself accordingly.

Faculty Development will be the core of this guide. To develop as a player with a character, you first must gain access to all the tools you’ll need to do so on a technical and mental level. Your ability to consciously and accurately perform the actions you intend to do is a branch of littered stepping stones along the path to becoming the best you can be with that character and in this game. There will always be room for these to grow, but these must come first at least to some extent before you can use your own creative uniqueness and inventive play to its fullest. Almost everything covered will apply to all characters, but some things need a special mention on a character to character basis, and that’s what will be cover for each of them.

A lot of these will vary from player to player, based off preference, style, habit and the centre of commitment, though it is encouraged to both new and old players to continuously insure that they are natural options and as comfortable to perform when asked upon at any and all times. For new players, it’s a basic outline or collection of options in directions they may want to take their game, for old players, it’s for further development or a quick refresher to either reinforce what is solid or bring something they’re missing into their game.

Before the character specifics, here are a few quick pointers that can be looked back to at any time. For both players finding a creative spark, inspiration, success or leaping ahead, and just as much for players getting stuck, bored, frustrated or having trouble improving. Hopefully these will provide help at most times.

1: To improve means to become different towards what is better. The become different means to change. Therefore, improving is only possible through changing. It’s an overlooked universal truth, in a way, and often avoided because changing implies the risk of becoming worse and can usually feel uncomfortable at least at first. Though the idea is simple, in that if the change is making you worse off but you see the potential, stick with it, where if it’s not showing any signs of possibility, change it again, and if a change brings improvement, keep it.

There is no moment that passes in which you can’t get something from, no matter how great or minor. If you feel flustered in any way because you can’t find some way to improve at the time or are moving slower than preferred, that idea and sense alone is what you’ve taken from the moment, and that counts for more than you may think. It may just have less immediate improvement compared to potential. Use your mind as a mirror, reject nothing, grasp at nothing, receive but do not keep.

2: Have fun. Do what you have fun doing, and make fun in doing whatever you’re doing. Fun isn’t an objective thing you can find and attain, it’s how you yourself are perceiving and enjoying whatever you’ve attained or are attaining. If you’re losing a lot of matches to players you don’t want to lose to, find enjoyment in searching for ways to beat them rather than the stocks at the end of the matches themselves. If you have no players to play that give you a challenge and you want more, learn to teach them how to beat you with proper and pure intentions and that will help you more than anything else.

What you take from a match means more than what happens in the match itself. When the match is over, the match no longer matters, only the matches ahead. The matches ahead will only be affected by what the now non-existent match has left you with, here and now. It’s also often overlooked that teaching can be the best way to learn, so falling back on that is a good thing.

3: If you want to make something a part of your game, that means you have to actually take a part of your time, effort and attention and put it there. Just as you make this game a part of your life by taking time to do so. In terms of improving, much, if not all of what can be shared with you is something you would eventually learn on your own. All a teaching or helping hand is, is an opportunity for you to possibly skip the trial and error phase by learning what is shown. You are the one that learns, something cannot be taught to you and produce results.

Every win, loss, reading or conversation is an opportunity, much of it you may know, much of it you may not. This means it takes your own effort to practice on your own, as well as being open and asking questions if someone else may think or do something a certain way. A community that communicates will thrive, collectivity is necessary to improve both personally and as a group. Remember, everyone is in this together, but that takes participation with others as well as on your own time to bring yourself to where you want to be.

Credits and Contributions.
None of the content in these threads can be credited to me directly. It’s all because of the players involved in the creation of Project M since its beginning, all of the players involved in the development of the play for each smash game, along with every players commitment and contributions to the community for the last decade and more, and the community as a whole. As well as any players that add to the discussion and content of these guides themselves.

If anyone has interest in other characters or can contribute towards the other threads, they’re linked here. Please contribute everything you can, as I am by no means capable of innovating, remembering and wording everything possible that would fit in these guides. Thanks.

Fist Batch includes these characters.
Falcon : Proves as a well known and very distinct character that almost directly transferred from Melee. Will provide a nice layout and template for the future potential guides of other characters.

Wario : A character that lacks clarity of use but has enough distinct qualities to be easily discussed and explained in an understandable way. Should also be fun to layout in this format.

Mario : Similar to his Melee counterparts but with a nice mix of new and old traits that are fairly straight forward yet still flexible. Plenty to him and should be a good character to start with.

Wolf : Interesting character with unique new concepts along with still somewhat familiar aspects to the most commonly used Melee characters. Will have a lot of depth to decipher and discuss.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere, sometime, somehow. Best to everyone.

[size=x-large]Development Acceleration Threads
[/size]
WARNING : Wall of text with very little to no TD;LR

I figured I’d take some time to do something for the forum community. I’m not sure how helpful it will be, but if even 1 person gets something out of these threads, I’m satisfied and it was worth it. If this helps a lot of people a bit, then that’s just extra awesomeness.

So if you think there’s anything I’ve missed that might help someone, or if there’s something I cover that isn’t needed, let me know. I simply want these threads to be the most helpful they can be.

Given my leet writing skills, my leet smash skills, and my leet coaching and teaching skills at all levels in the game, I have an interesting set of successful credentials and unique insights. So I feel like it’s my duty to give something like this to the Project M community.

[size=medium]Purpose[/size]

These threads are to provide a form of guide series aimed towards increasing the rate at both learning characters from the beginning and improving with them indefinitely.

There will be no charts regarding move collision effects or frame data in these threads. Nothing about character match-up comparisons or stage counter-picking lists. This isn’t for or from statistics or data in any way. Those concepts and details can be discussed and mentioned elsewhere on the character forums unless brought up in discussion here at some point, but won’t be in the opening post.

Both Melee direct crossed characters and from scratch PM characters will be presented the same way in their respected threads and discussed the same. Many players new to smash or coming from Brawl are not familiar with Melee characters and could use this as a means of catching up to what those characters are bringing to PM completely. Veteran Melee players can either use this as a touch up on their game or a refreshment of going over what they know and chance of relearning what they may have forgotten or not given enough attention to before.

The Melee characters will likely be in more depth, and will provide an example of the depth hoped for when the PM characters are completed. As well, there is something new that every character is getting from the PM general game itself, and the Melee game is ever-changing so there is always something new to learn for even advanced and knowledgeable players.

These threads are meant to cover everything that a player will either inevitably learn about the characters that will benefit from on their personal path to learning the characters their own way.
These threads are meant to go into specifics of application and understanding about everything each character can do, but on a universal level that will aid in simply pointing out ideas utilizing the tools a player will find in the character and smash learning process at all levels.

Almost all of what’s covered in a specific character thread applies in some way to all other characters, so all threads will be useful no matter what character you play or how you play them. I’m simply going to cover the central parts that have the greatest significance to the character that each thread is directed to. Reading all threads could be beneficial to all characters, but only the focal point will be covered in each.

[size=medium]Developing Faculties[/size]

There will be two main topics generally covered that should fulfill most of what this thread is for.

Technical Faculties
These cover everything from difficult but necessary muscle memory requirements to the diverse application of simpler and easier actions that are all very essential.

Mental Faculties
These cover all the things to watch for throughout the course of a match relating to your interactions with your opponents and how to manage yourself accordingly.

Faculty Development will be the core of this guide. To develop as a player with a character, you first must gain access to all the tools you’ll need to do so on a technical and mental level. Your ability to consciously and accurately perform the actions you intend to do is a branch of littered stepping stones along the path to becoming the best you can be with that character and in this game. There will always be room for these to grow, but these must come first at least to some extent before you can use your own creative uniqueness and inventive play to its fullest.

A lot of these will vary from player to player, based off preference, style, habit and the centre of commitment, though it is encouraged to both new and old players to continuously insure that they are natural options and as comfortable to perform when asked upon at any and all times.
For new players, it’s a basic outline or collection of options in directions they may want to take their game. Things they will find along the way.
For old players, it’s for further development or refreshment to either reinforce what is solid, or to bring something they’re missing, into their game.

Before the character specifics, here are a few quick pointers that can be looked back to at any time. For players finding a creative spark, inspiration, success or leaping ahead, and just as much for players getting stuck, bored, frustrated or having trouble improving. Hopefully these will provide help at most times.

3 Points

[size=medium]1[/size] To improve means to become different towards what is better. To become different means to change. Therefore, improving is only possible through changing. It’s an overlooked universal truth, in a way, and often avoided because changing implies the risk of becoming worse and can usually feel uncomfortable, at least at first. Though the idea is simple to get around that discomfort. In that if the change is making you worse off but you see the potential, stick with it, where if it’s not showing any signs of possibility, change it again, and if a change brings improvement, keep it.

There is no moment that passes in which you can’t get something from, no matter how great or minor. If you feel flustered in any way because you can’t find some way to improve at the time, or are moving slower than preferred, that idea and sense alone is what you’ve taken from the moment, and that counts for more than you may think. It may just have less immediate improvement compared to potential. Use your mind as a mirror, reject nothing, grasp at nothing, receive but do not keep.

[size=medium]2[/size] Have fun. Do what you have fun doing, and make fun in doing whatever you’re doing. Fun isn’t an objective thing you can find and attain, it’s how you yourself are perceiving and enjoying whatever you’ve attained or are attaining. If you’re losing a lot of matches to players you don’t want to lose to, find enjoyment in searching for ways to beat them rather than focus on the stocks at the end of the matches themselves. If you have no players to play that give you a challenge and you want more, learn to teach them how to beat you with proper and pure intentions and that will help you more than anything else.

What you take from a match means more than what happens in the match itself. When the match is over, the match no longer matters, only the matches ahead. The matches ahead will only be affected by what the now non-existent match has left you with, here and now. It’s also often overlooked that teaching can be the best way to learn, so falling back on that is a good thing.

[size=medium]3[/size] If you want to make something a part of your game, that means you have to actually take a part of your time, effort and attention and put it there. Just as you make this game a part of your life by taking time to do so. In terms of improving, much, if not all of what can be shared with you is something you would eventually learn on your own. All a teaching or helping hand is, is an opportunity for you to possibly skip the trial and error phase by learning what is shown. You are the one that learns, something cannot be taught to you and produce results.

Every win, loss, reading or conversation is an opportunity, much of it you may know, much of it you may not. This means it takes your own effort to practice on your own, as well as being open and asking questions if someone else may think or do something a certain way. A community that communicates will thrive, collectivity is necessary to improve both personally and as a group. Remember, everyone is in this together, but that takes participation with others as well as on your own time to bring yourself to where you want to be.

[size=medium]Credits and Contributions[/size]

None of the content in these threads can be credited to me directly. It’s all because of the players involved in the creation of Project M since its beginning, all of the players involved in the development of the play for each smash game, along with every players commitment and contributions to the community for the last decade and more, and the community as a whole. As well as any players that add to the discussion and content of these guides themselves.

If anyone has interest in other characters or can contribute towards the other threads, they’re linked here.

Please contribute everything you can, as I am by no means capable of innovating, remembering and wording everything possible that would fit in these guides. At least at an efficient rate anyway. Thanks.

Fist Batch includes these characters.

[size=medium]Falcon[/size] : Proves as a well known and very distinct character that almost directly transferred from Melee. Will provide a nice layout and template for the future potential guides of other characters.

[size=medium]Wario[/size] : A character that lacks clarity of use but has enough distinct qualities to be easily discussed and explained in an understandable way. Should also be fun to layout in this format.

[size=medium]Mario[/size] : Similar to his Melee counterparts but with a nice mix of new and old traits that are fairly straight forward yet still flexible. Plenty to him and should be a good character to start with.

[size=medium]Wolf[/size] : Interesting character with unique new concepts along with still somewhat familiar aspects to the most commonly used Melee characters. Will have a lot of depth to decipher and discuss.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere, sometime, somehow. Best to everyone.

[size=x-large]
Development Acceleration Thread : Mario[/size]

Mario is a very solid and well rounded character, but only within certain boundaries. He has the tools needed for everything and they almost all work universally, meaning all of his tools are useful all of the time. This can be looked at several ways, but finding a balance in play around in this is tricky. With these types of balances, I like to revert back to the basics and tend to discuss and teach them from the route. Here, I’ll relate to the development of Mario to the elements, Earth, Water, Fire and Air. The route of everything, in a way. These will be the building blocks on how to make him most effective.

[size=large]Earth[/size]

1 - Staying Grounded
With Mario, you have what you need to cover every angle at any time. The tricky part comes with the way he doesn’t cover anything excessive amounts for very long, so it takes constant awareness and proper activity to be as solid as Mario can be.

Since you have the potential to have access to what you need at any given moment, the only time you don’t have access to those tools is when you’re being hit. When you’re not in the process of being hit, you can handle anything. Naturally, this means one thing. Safety first.

Mario isn’t a walling character, or a lock-out or lock-down character. He’s not built like a tank or evasive character either. Despite all this, he can create a very profound form of solidity. This comes from the way he’s built to be functional when he has access to all of the necessary tools to cover anything, to be at full capacity. To do this, it’s simple enough. Play him solidly. Play like you’re a block, a fortress, a tank, a rock. When you’re playing like a solid chunk of earth, then your tools are all accessible, but most importantly, they won’t be taken away from you. Your opponent won’t be able to make your tools inaccessible, and this means you’ll be at fully capacity.

You have the tools to do this, and this protects all your other tools. How it works, is utilizing the core and essentials of what Mario has to become impenetrable while still active. Never overextending, but still very extendable. He’s loaded with everything from hard hits to soft hits, quick attacks to slow attacks at all different angles and ranges. He’s mobile in all ways at all times. All of these in effect guarantees an unbreakable foundation. The only time this isn’t guaranteed is when he breaks it himself. So don’t break it.

Stay grounded, as that’s where you have more access to all your tools. If you overextend with full jumps or get caught out of position off stage, on platforms or while approaching, you’re taking unnecessary risks. You don’t need to take major risks if you’re enforcing yourself as a rock while you move. Mario is most threatening when he’s at full capacity, not when he’s in the process of committing to only some part of his game.

On the ground, you have more directional control due to your dash dance, short hops and wavedash all being very effectively functional and quick. This leaves room to evade or approach whenever you need to. If you’re in the process of other actions simply to cover yourself, you’ll leave gaps where you can be approached more easily or you’ll miss chances to approach. If you have total control over your directional speed at all times, you’re much harder to penetrate.

2 - Shielding
Mario has a lot of offensive options out of his shield with solid aerials and his grab, so using your shield as an approach is something that’s important to be familiar with. Your burst speed can get you to where you need to be, but it won’t be often that approaches are guaranteed since he doesn’t shine at forcing openings, he can simply take them when they’re there. So shielding may often be the best thing to fall back on in an uncertain situation.

When a shield approach doesn’t work, you need to get out in the most efficient way that returns your options so you can stay solid. Make sure shielding and wavedashing out is very natural. You want to keep mobile both to approach and evade, but when there’s a chance you’ll be caught by something as you pressure them, you need to make sure it’s not taking away your options for long, if at all.

While staying grounded, you have access to your greatest offensive tool, grabs. Grabs will lead to more on a universal level than almost anything else Mario has. This gives you more control of positioning than any other tool since it leaves you options after connecting one. The more you can keep your options open while on offense, the better, since Mario thrives on options. Grabs have plenty of flexibility and make a good foundation for the following potential damage output.

Mario has a solid aerial game to go along with his ground game. All his aerials have decent range and can hit hard to follow up. They’re all useful in different ways in short hops too. If the opponent commits to something in means of approaching you or countering your approach, you might have the option of catching them with an aerial. Be fluent using all of your aerials in short hops, as approaches or backing away, and from your shield to counter or punish after successful baits.

Always be ready to take opportunities when the come up. Stay close to your opponent and close in on them but don’t leave openings. Your presence alone will be a solid offense if you’re staying mobile without leaving any cracks for them.

Keep in mind at all times during the neutral game that keeping all of his options at the ready is the greatest priority. Without a rock foundation, the functionality of his flexibility is weakened simply for being at risk. Those tools are all ready for Mario whether you play like a solid dense block or not, so playing with the intention of not letting the opponent have any chances isn’t going to hinder your own chances. It will only insure you’ll get your chances. By staying grounded, you’re never loose from options.

[size=large]Water[/size]

1 - Mobility
Given that Mario has so many options for everything but doesn’t excel in too many areas, it’s necessary to be able to meld all of his tools together fluently while in full motion. A comfort with all the nuances and intricate variations of how he can move and what he can do during those movements are what will keep you threatening the opponent, as this is what defines his offense. This is the natural state of Mario, but is only possible when he’s safe to use it, so the foundation is needed before his potential offense can always be maxed. To be at maximum potential once he has the option, all transitional tools are needed to go from the neutral game onward.

Mario can’t cover great distances too quickly, but he is quick and can maintain speed in bursts with his diverse mobility game. To keep his speed control and diversity in mobility, all tools are needed for all purposes. The full dash dance game, offstage game and air game are all essential, but have to remain flexible and solid to not leave any possible holes while he moves at this pace.

The dash dance game includes wavedashing, short hops and dash dances themselves. All of these must be in full unison at all times so he has the ability to be where he wants to be without delay. Become fluently mobile with all variations and situations around opponents while being aware of what options you have to translate to offense during these motions. Make sure you’re acting immediately after the various mobility actions, to not slow yourself between them. Keep your movements flowing smoothly without jaggedness or faults.

Immediately after attempted or connected aerials, grabs, pivots or shields, move as soon as possible as you see fit so you’re staying fluent. All of his tools flow well together, so find a nice balance between doing the actions and positioning yourself to do the actions. Make it very natural to cover an area and ready yourself to cover another instantly. It’s essential to keep a steady flow between all options so your options can be used when most ideal.

2 - Capitalizing
There are many ways to capitalize on opportunities from the solid foundation, but you need to be comfortable with all of them to not miss chances. Knowledge of all these options and what they’re capable of penetrating is important, but the application of them without hesitation is what will make Mario an offensive threat and force.

Be very comfortable how fast and far you can travel with wavedashes or dashes going into grabs. This will be a primary approach, combo and pressure tool. Keep your ground mobility fluid and use the flexible speed control he has to constantly have access to grabbing opportunities. Always insure that you’re safe, but be comfortable in going for grab attempts among your movements at all times. The reward is often worth the risk of mild overextending.

The same goes for dashing into pivots and wavedashing into attacks. All of his ground moves are very versatile and important to all parts of his game from covering areas to combos. Make pivoting a natural motion with all tools including tilts, grabs, jumps and smashes. The flexibility of using any attack at anytime while in motion on the ground is something accessible to Mario, so being capable of using all these tools will bring finer points to the diversity of his overall game.

The aerial options from the ground are all very essential to his transitional game as well. Short hopping them for combos, tech chasing and connecting on approaches all play a large role for him. Become comfortable at using all aerials from all distances from all possible positions and following all other actions that can set them up.

When moving around platforms, the options Mario has become more limited so he’s not at full capacity in the air. However, he is fully capable of following combos and chases on platforms when the opportunity comes. Ledge cancelling aerials, wavelanding on and off platforms as well as following combos using platforms are all key components in keeping his air and combo game effective. Don’t commit to platforms without a certainty that something will come of it, as you’re limited yourself, but the reward can be great.

Each of these tools, aerials, grabs and ground based attacks, have to be accessible to you to completely use Mario to his fullest. Have access to all of these on command and naturally so they flow together as one. All of these will take part in all parts of his game and the more fluent they are, they smoothly bring more benefit from each successful attempt at offense. If any of these options aren’t comfortable within the flow, there is more that Mario is capable of yet to come.

[size=large]Fire[/size]

When the foundation is solid and all his options are function with fluidity, his offensive out put comes into play. Mario has even diversity in moves to combo any character off of many different initial connections. Being safe from the hits you want to avoid and being mobile enough to get where you want to be, this allows for Mario to take the safe and accurate offensive actions that he will be guaranteed decent damage output from.

1 - Combos
Grabs are something that will universally have high reward for connecting. So aiming to either force the opponent into their shield or scare them into playing defensive is important. This is where the pressure game comes in, which Mario is fully capable of with his burst speed and mass of options while moving nearby. With this being a target, know which throws will lead to the best positioning for you so when you land a grab, you can make the most of it. This will differ based on stage position, damage and opponent, but is essential to your offense since grabs are a key component.

With all other attacks there are a few factors to be aware of. For one, know which moves will send the opponent into a tumble state or a tech at the given moment. Mario has a variety of strengths in attacks and having a good feel for what will combo when is important towards punishing opponents with the most outcome. Whether it’s an aerial or tilt, be familiar with which ones will start or extend a combo further, and which will set up edge-guards or positioning on a direct hit or at the end of a combo.

Another factor is the trajectory on attacks. He has a wide range of options when it comes to directions he can send opponents at the various distances. If you can finish a combo with a hard hit to lead to edge-guarding or good positioning, then do so. If you can extend a combo in any way while still keeping the option of finishing it decently, then extend it. Find as many ways of extending combos as possible, you want to maximize damage output when it’s guaranteed. However, don’t extend a combo if it’s not going to put the opponent in an unfavourable position at the end of it. Simply getting a good position off a combo that’s looking risky is much better.

Experiment finding simple and reliable ways of setting up combo finishers at % that are likely to set up good edge-guards for kills. Any reliable finisher is something you need to have in your arsenal, things as simple as Uthrow followed by pivot Fsmash. Once you know what % the opponent needs to be for these reliable set ups to work, and where they need to be positioned, learn to extend your combos in ways that will either guarantee this set ups at the end, or give a good chance that you can catch them with it after finishing your combo a certain way. Be creative in the way you find all ways his tools can work. Never be very direct, as there is a lot of flexibility with his abundance of tools.

2 - Pressure
The threat of Mario comes a lot from being an agile and adaptable fortress of flexibility. What makes this side of him threatening is all the tools he has accessible when those criteria are met.

His tools for pressure are quite standard compared to the rest of the characters. He has solid hits that favour trading, along with decent range on a lot of attacks and a grab that can lead to a lot of punishment. The diversity in this tool kit is what makes it work, not the exceeding strength in one area of it over another. He has something to deal with everything, but nothing that deals with anything. This is where the precision and depth of Mario comes into play. He needs to be constantly active with the proper actions at the proper times to match his opponent accordingly. This doesn’t just apply to the transitional game, but to the way he has to maintain pressure.

Getting the first hit can be tricky. He has no way to force the opponent to act a certain way. If the opponent is moving fast around the stage, he can’t change that, if they’re covering massive areas, he can’t change that. What he has to his benefit instead, is that no matter what they’re doing, it doesn’t make it any more difficult for him to get what he wants. Because of this, he doesn’t need to change what they’re doing at all.

He may not be able to force someone to shield so he can grab them, or force them to try countering a fake approach, but if they do shield or if they do any unsafe action, he can punish them greatly, and this presence is what forces the opponent to act a certain way.

With that, the ability to use all tools accurately and properly for whatever the situation calls for is the best route. Make this the aim in a match. Find what tools you need to cover what situations, it’s that simple. This applies to all parts of the game, but it will carry a pressure aspect with it no matter where this tool discovering is made.

Once you’re familiar and comfortable using all his tools appropriately and at the necessary pace, the precision and consistency of it will in turn develop the pressure game. If each situation is acted on with the proper tools and implementation of it, without missing any of the opportunities but staying within that opportunity reach of the opponent, they will be pressured more than any forceful approach can produce. With this as the goal, since them being pressure will lead you to getting grabs, practice this to develop the precision and comfort of all possible options.

[size=large]Air[/size]

Mario has a lot to offer in the space between these target goals and unique tools that can be applied in all those areas. He might be a well rounded character but he has quite a few quirks about him as well.

1 - Cape
This move will have to take a lot of experimenting on your part to fully understand how diverse and useful it is. Some simple traits are that it reflects projectiles and can be used to edge-guard by sending opponents recoveries in the opposite direction by turning them around.

On more specific and unique levels, the Cape can turn opponents around in their shield, so if you’re short hopping at them or approaching and they shield you, this eliminates your chance of getting shield grabbed and possibly minimizes their out of shield options to counter you.

When you Cape someone, their momentum actually stays altered for a brief moment after and that can translate to their next action. Always be ready to capitalize after landing a Cape as your opponents safest bet is to remain defensive even if you seem punishable, simply because of the after effects of the Cape. If they try to do any action too quickly, they can leave an easy opportunity for you.

Another unique use of the Cape is when your opponent is in hit-stun already. It can alter momentum enough to send them into worse positions if they act poorly afterwards, and it can delay them briefly in effect making them miss a tech. It deals a fair amount of damage and throws timing off in odd ways, so unique uses in timing with it during combos can lead to a lot of possibilities. It’s a diverse move with a lot of reward and very little risk if it connects, though it can take away from other guaranteed and beneficial punishments you might have if it’s used to leniently.

Become very familiar with what it does and experiment with it at all times. Once you understand how it works fully in all areas of your game, then you can decide when the ideal times for it are and how to use it with accuracy and precision the way it potentially can be used.

2 - Edge Game
A lot of his game will be played around controlling the stage, but a large part of his game will be played near the edges and off the edge. He has many options in both edge-guarding and recovering, so there is a lot of depth and flexibility to work with.

With tools to deal with almost anything, it’s ideal to set up edge-guards often, as it’s the best way to end stocks early. Since he’s capable of it, it will often be ideal to end combos early or simply try forcing the opponent offstage because he’s diversity there is so great and universal. Mario lacks ways of limiting his opponents options, so this being the best way he can, it means a lot to his game.

When edge-guarding, be very comfortable with going as far off stage as you can while still making it back after. Your aerial game and Cape are all very effective at intercepting distant recoveries along with your aerial mobility. Learn to catch opponents recovering before they have a chance at setting themselves up to recover safely. Mario is fast enough and has enough options to cover most recoveries from going off the stage himself.

From on the stage, Cape comes into play again, but he isn’t as effective in terms of making sure they don’t get back. However, when they make it to the ledge, you can continue to play the pressure game and them being limited in options from the ledge will give you plenty of chances to send them off again. Be patient here, as there’s never a need to over commit, but always be ready.

When recovering, know when which of your options are best suited over the others. He has many tools that give decent direct recovery options, but there are many ways to use them. Whether it’s trying to recover high or low, all his tools have some effect and role to play. His Down B, Cape, Up B, wall jump, air dodge and double jump give him a lot or room for adjustment. Be certain that you know all the possible ways you can get around the edge-guards you face so you can do what you need to.

Make it natural to waveland onto the stage from the ledge. It’s the safest and quickest way to regain all options and position yourself well on the stage again. His aerials and Cape from the edge along other get-up options all have their uses and moments, but wavelanding on is ideal in most situations.

[size=medium]Doubles
[/size]
Mario has some very key tools to bring to a doubles team. He has enough diversity that he can’t be shut down by anything and can function fully against any other team. His access to quick damage output and ability to position himself in bursts are both favoured over longer combos and greater speed. These traits help him function in any situation and any diversity that he faces.

Along with having the ability to deal with anything, he has a few strengths to add to his lack of weaknesses. His edge game is good from all sides, including saving his partner. His stage control game is solid since it will force opponents to act when their room is limited. His options to set up and finish are all reliable and he has something that works on any character at any time.

Mario and Doc were both solid doubles characters in Melee and he only got better from there. Every aspect of the diversity he had was retained and strengthened. Basically he’s like two characters in one, so it’s three against two anytime he’s in a doubles match, that science for you.

[size=medium]Kind of TDLR/Recap[/size]

Make all of these things very comfortable to you so they’re natural options at all times.
It’s what’s required to play Mario at his fullest potential.

Technical Requirements
- Dash Dancing with JC Grabs, Pivots, Wavedashes and SH Aerials
- Approaching with Shield and Wavedashing out
- Platform Wavelanding and Ledge Cancelling
- Wall Jumping and Wavelanding on the Stage
- Have all mobility options flow together
- Cape Functions
- Know how to use all options when recovering and edge-guarding

Mental Requirements
- Being defensively solid is priority
- Stay ready to take opportunities without overextending
- Know what tools cover what
- Grab lots
- Doubles Wrecking Ball
- Don’t get hit
- Be like the Elements

Extras
- Let’s do this LEERRROOOOOYYY
- I need to do better TDLRs

[size=medium]Continuity Is The Secret Of Success
[/size]

This is just the first batch, so it’s an experiment if anything. If there’s something that needs to be adjusted or changed, let me know. If the writing is too proper or sloppy, if it can be organized better or cleaned up a bit, whatever. It’s all for open discussion and change. I might have simply been to elaborate and should write less about it. Any feedback is appreciated, and please contribute to the thread if you can.

This is a type of thread that’s missing too often, and as far as I’m concerned it’s the only type that matters in the end. In a way, it’s where all discussions direct to but never make it here. So I’m doing this to hopefully help with a piece of general forums that’s missing. It’s kind of like a general discussion, but with a specific purpose and massive collection of all the things generally discussed crammed into one post, that’s about it.

If anyone wants to start writing something of their own for this series or just with this concept in mind, that would be great, but I could write all of it if needed. I type super fast. Yes, I’m want this for every character, as it has enough value to be worth it as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve tried to cover most of what I find important to a Falcon player, but there’s always more. Hopefully this Development Acceleration Thread for Falcon can help people with the character, and actually serve the purpose I’m intending for it.

Hope you enjoy it. Thanks.

Bamesy :) :heart:

Last edited:
Top Bottom