• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon recovery

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
i'm sorry if any1 already posted this or thought of this, but i was was thinking... on smashville would'nt it be possible to throw a bomb your holding, at close range to a balloon for extra recovery, its not too helpfull and can probably rarely work but if some1 is coming at u too gimp, it should at least help you avoid them. i might not be able to revisit this thread but as soon as i get back online i'll check it

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
i'm sorry if any1 already posted this or thought of this, but i was was thinking... on smashville would'nt it be possible to throw a bomb your holding, at close range to a balloon for extra recovery, its not too helpfull and can probably rarely work but if some1 is coming at u too gimp, it should at least help you avoid them. i might not be able to revisit this thread but as soon as i get back online i'll check it
I don't main Link but I use him quite often. This is something that should be done more. I've done this a couple of times but I never really try that hard to do it.:bee:

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
I don't main Link but I use him quite often. This is something that should be done more. I've done this a couple of times but I never really try that hard to do it.:bee:
i thought of it while fighting on smashville and i tried it a few times, but i kept messing up and went back to the battle. I'm guessing it can be only done under cetain circumstances:us recovering, the balloon being there, having a bomb out, and being high enough in the air to hit the balloon.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It'd work, but that is really, really situational. Wouldn't it be better to just throw the bomb at them? You could also fastfall and the Zair onto the ledge. It would probably work though, so this isn't totally useless. :)

I also made a quick lil' diagram to illustrate the situation.

It's Smashville! The red line represents the line of travel the balloon undergoes, while the blobs at the end are the balloons. The arrows represent the most possible trajectory the bomb would travel in, while the black thing is the bomb. The explosion thing around it is the hitbox of the bomb. Link would have to be within the purple lines to achieve your description, so that is what those represent. You can see that it would be better to:

A: Throw a bomb at the opponent

B: Zair/Up-B onto the ledge

Sorry, I like making diagrams. >__>
It's a neat concept, but probably really situational. It would mostly depend on the situation you're in, and if you have a bomb in your hand.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
You have to be pretty high above the stage to be able to do this, and that isn't when Link desperately needs the extra boost of the bomb to recover.
However it could be a neat trick against an edgeguarding opponent. If you're willing to take an extra 8%. Which will put you that much closer to the blast zone next hit you take.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
i thought of it while fighting on smashville and i tried it a few times, but i kept messing up and went back to the battle. I'm guessing it can be only done under cetain circumstances:us recovering, the balloon being there, having a bomb out, and being high enough in the air to hit the balloon.

I always pull a bomb out when I'm off stage so it becomes a little less situational.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
i also pull a bomb out whenever i go off stage, but most of the time, after my double jump and bomb i'm not high enough to throw the bomb at the balloon and get hit with the explosion, this is a really rare oppotunity but it'll be a little helpfull and unexpected by the opponent if it can be done so rarely. next time i can i'll play against cpus on smashville for a while, and see if i can do it

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
i also pull a bomb out whenever i go off stage, but most of the time, after my double jump and bomb i'm not high enough to throw the bomb at the balloon and get hit with the explosion, this is a really rare oppotunity but it'll be a little helpfull and unexpected by the opponent if it can be done so rarely. next time i can i'll play against cpus on smashville for a while, and see if i can do it
But this kind of thing isn't supposed to be attempted like a regular AT. this is something that you just need to do at the right moment. Practicing this is useless.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Maybe I wasn't so clear on my first post. :)

It wouldn't really throw the person off. I mean, really. The bomb, even for being a bomb and all, doesn't have that much of knockback. If you were to hit the balloon with it, and the opponent was right next to the balloon, the most it could do is provide an extra 8% to you like Anon said, blow up the balloon, and prevent the opponent from possibly knocking you off the edge again...

In this case, I'm assuming you have lost both of your jumps and have your bomb in tow and your Up-B. Now, for all I know this could be really dumb, but in that situation I would probably Z-drop the bomb, space with Zair, and then either Zair the edge or Up-B to the ledge. Sounds way more reasonable. You could also use the bomb to DI, and recover.

This is like saying by throwing down one of Peach's turnips onto the balloon, you can help yourself recover. I understand these two are not the same character, but it really is saying the same thing, only with a different item. (That does relatively the same amount of knockback as does the bomb) You can do soooo much more things that would be very easy to pull off instead of this.

This is a VERY situational 'technique' to do, and actually would probably put you in a worse position then before, since you are once again on the edge of the stage, only with roughly 8% more damage, and now without a bomb to help you attack/DI/whatever with. The benefits are however that you have your two jumps back, and can Fair/Nair/Bair/Uair/Dair to help you.

2/10 for practical application in a real match
4/10 for a benefits in the situation
3/10 overall

Like I said before, I think it's a cool idea and all, but I would definitely not be trying to do this in a match. There are so many more options. Good try though, and thanks for thinking of original applications.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
hmmm if someone's jumping out at you, you could probably throw them off with that. they probably wont predict the bomb-induced trajectory change so you could probably DI-FF to renew your options. timing is crucial tho if they aren't close enough they can still probably get you with a DJ aerial or whatever, then you're effed cuz of the stun.

btw thinking about it why arent we abusing the balloon? jump behind it for random projectile block or use it as a wall for gale guarding?

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
LOL if you've got time to pull a bomb, why not just use dair on the balloon and pogohop to the stage? Dair covers you just as well.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
LOL if you've got time to pull a bomb, why not just use dair on the balloon and pogohop to the stage? Dair covers you just as well.
i really need to try that lol, although we can still use the bomb one as a mindgame, maybe we do what we can which would include normal rcovery, dair recovery and bomb recovery, since bomb recovery would be the least likely we'd use it much less and they won't expect it, and if we use the dair recovery its more likely and we can use it if the balloon is there and if we're above it. and the thing everyone would expect is us just going to the satge, although the dair recovery is most helpful because it defends us some, can be used as a mindgame and doesnt hurt us, plus its more possible to do than bomb recovery and probably has more distance

hambread

Smash Apprentice
works well but its risky. the cool down lag of dair means most of your options are gone so you are suspect to easy follow ups :\

Top Bottom