• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad habit for Toon Link to have

RiRinKal

Smash Rookie
NNID
RiRinKal
Everyone has habit, I know... but man... I have so many bad play habits for toon link to have...

Here I am going to list every single bad habits that I have so far to memo(?) myself

and if you have any tips for me on that I will be appreciated. (If you wanna share your bad habits that is good too)

1. Down A habits

Now I don't have this habits anymore, which is very good for me.

But it seems like lot of toon link players still have this habits, So I just took a note here. XD

2. Pulling bombs too frequently...

Now Toon link's bomb is really good, but I think I have a problem with...

Pulling bombs whenever is possible...It is really bad habits that I constantly pressing Down + B without knowing it.

And because of that I end up pulling out bombs when opponent is approaching on me.

Yes, I can jump and Pull out the bomb, but opponent still can attack from the air as well.

3. Air Dodge Zair

When I played early 3DS smash game, I used to do Landing Lag cancel by doing Air Dodge Zair + Bombs + Forward Air

combos. and now the Toon Link's Landing lag cancel tech is gone, even if I can perform the same combo, it doesn't

guarantee, and at the same time I can get punished by the landing lag.

4. FAIRING instead of NAIRING.

Now this is another habit that came from Early Smash 3DS.

Toon Link's Nair is very good move to use, but I keep pulling out FAIR by Accident.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I really don't think you can throw the boomerang too much. Its so useful, you can throw it before you land, and its just an all around great spacing tool.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
My bad habits are

1. D airing too much, i don't do it so much now but it is still too often for my liking. Although I will normally throw a bomb down along with it to back it up.

2. F smashing when opponent is at a high percentage, great when opponents knock back is low though as the second hit will probably connect if opponent shield or dodge it somehow. U-smash and down smash are much faster and the better option most times.

3. I also have a strange habit when getting annoyed with myself when I don't hit a opponent with a certain move. For example if I don't connect with a z air or some other move. I keep trying constantly until I do, which makes me really easy to read.

thadd_fin

Your Residential Mongolian
NNID
Thadd_fin
3DS FC
4527-8856-2512
1) I used to Dair ALLL the time but im thankfully starting to grow out of it
2) I abuse the hell out if my boomerang and it leaves me open a lot (but i just can't learn my lesson :facepalm:)
3) I dont use the bow nearly as much as I should :ohwell:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Actually there is a habit I do and im not entirely sure whats happening. But alot of times when I jump do an attack and land i cant shield right away. Theres landing lag. Im not sure what it is but its so annoying because I often get killed because of that 1 second of landing lag toon has sometimes when trying to put up my shield.

Last edited:

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
Rookie habits toon link players go through:
-Dair
-Fsmash

Amatuer habits:
-Recovering back on stage right next to and/or on top of an opponent
Using bombs and boomerang just to use it without thinking about where your placing the bomb/boomerang WHILE your not moving around yourself to CONTINUE

To continue camping

Last edited by a moderator:

thadd_fin

Your Residential Mongolian
NNID
Thadd_fin
3DS FC
4527-8856-2512
Rookie habits toon link players go through:
-Dair
-Fsmash

Amatuer habits:
-Recovering back on stage right next to and/or on top of an opponent
Using bombs and boomerang just to use it without thinking about where your placing the bomb/boomerang WHILE your not moving around yourself to CONTINUE
To continue camping
I agree 100% and its really hard to break those habits unless you REALLY put in time with Toon Link against players that challenge and punish the hell out of you when you make rookie moves. (In my opinion)

ILJ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
giancarlo777
3DS FC
2852-9628-7134
I agree 100% and its really hard to break those habits unless you REALLY put in time with Toon Link against players that challenge and punish the hell out of you when you make rookie moves. (In my opinion)
Yea, I agree dude! You need to get whooped a couple of times before you adapt lol.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I play a decent pocket toon link that zones and pokes.
I never had the DAir problem or the boomerang, just don't know his air limits yet.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Locking this thread. It should have been done a long time ago. Any further discussion on this topic can be done here.

Edit: Unlocking I guess. I'm regretting this already. It's not the idea of the thread that's the problem here, it's the delivery of the idea and the contributions XD. I can see the potential for some decent posts in here though, so we'll see.

Perhaps I could help actually. For example, let's say you have a pattern in your spam that makes you predictable, well that's a bad habit. Identifying bad habits is the first step to breaking them, which is essential for any kind of higher level of play where the opponent will quickly pick up on your habits and use them against you i.e. they will get hard reads on you. So what we're looking for here is things you do almost instinctively that make you predictable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom