• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Chain Grab Method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADRE

Smash Rookie
Before I start my b-throw to f-throw chain grab I usually do a d-throw to a f-throw.
Is this a bad habit because I'm a month plus into learning the cg's.
the reason why I do this is is purely mental but I think it actually helps because when I do this I get the chain grab going.

P.s (Light to Medium weight Characters if that matters)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Before I start my b-throw to f-throw chain grab I usually do a d-throw to a f-throw.
Is this a bad habit because I'm a month plus into learning the cg's.
the reason why I do this is is purely mental but I think it actually helps because when I do this I get the chain grab going.

P.s (Light to Medium weight Characters if that matters)
Ok, any CG isn't bad for you if it only involves doing simple grabs and doesn't require a lot of running. It's all about personal preference. Personally, these are the things I would say make a CG good. (listed in importance)

1. It can be done fast enough so that the opponent can't mash. This means that the CG's has to be designed so that Nana's spacing isn't an issue. You also have to make sure it's not extremely difficult to do because the harder it is for you, the less consistent it will be.

2. It doesn't require a lot of running (because if you do run a lot, you are more likely to trip therefore making it harder for you to do a 0-death)

3. It doesn't require a lot of space. The CG's that are meant to move are fine for this part though since moving the CG's away from hazards is also key. Mind, though, that CG's that can only KO by doing a spike off the edge of the stage aren't reliable since they do not guarunteed kills unlike the damage racking throws. This is because players of higher levels (or really good Up-B spammers) can meteor cancel, stopping a death from a spike.

4. It can be done on a platform. Since getting a grab is very situational, you have to be able to make every successful grab worth it's effort which means that if you end up getting one on the platform, you must have a CG that doesn't require D-throw. This kind of CG doesn't have to be your main CG, just have a CG that doesn't require D-throws. Even though you do D-throws on platforms if you tilt lightly enough, it is usually unlikely that you can do this with all the gaming stress you will have to endure.

5. Have a CG that doesn't require a lot of walking. When in a very competitive environment, it's very hard to walk during CG's with all that pressure on, knowing that every CG can mean a potential kill for you and that by messing up, you can cost yourself the match. This means that you should try to avoid CG's that use F-throw a lot since those CG's require a lot of walking and precise tilting of the stick, something stressful players find difficult to do.

Some CG's that are good for foundational use (the ones I name infinite are usually used to rack damage):

Popo Dthrow to Nana fair (only works on heavy and medium weight characters at 25%. In order to do it on lighter charcters at 0% twice, you have to have fair or Dthrow decayed a little.)- This is your fundumental damage racking CG at the lower percents. It is safe and guaranteed to about 25% for most characters, giving you the chance to do this about twice, allowing you do score an easy 40%.

Popo Bthrow to Nana Dthrow infinite- this is a very good CG because it does fair damage and it is very reliable since the Bthrow spaces the opponent to be at an optimal range for a Dthrow regrab because little walking is required.

Popo Bthrow to Nana Fthrow infinite- this is also a very good CG. It is very similar to Bthrow to Dthrow with some exceptions: 1. It can be done on platforms 2. It has a little bit of a higher damage output because Fthrow does more damage than Dthrow 3. It requires more walking and precise tilting of the Control stick. This throw is basically the harder version of Popo Bthrow to Nana Dthrow in order to do more flexible damage.

Popo Bthrow to Nana Bthrow infinite- this is a very fast CG that can be done in rapid succession. However, because it uses the same throw for both Ice Climbers, it decays really quickly and has the least damage output of all three of the fundamental damage racking CGs. This is a pretty consistent throw, can be used on platforms, and is very flexible in spacing. In my opinion, I would use this on lightweights because it doesn't require as much walking Bthrow to Fthrow or Bthrow to Dthrow requires (since lightweights speed up the throws making it harder to walk that distance) but that is just in personal preference.

Popo Dthrow to Fthrow infinite- this is a very good CG because it can help you get away from hazards quickly while it allows you to segue into the damage racking infinites listed above. Since you usually don't need to move if you do a CG's on a platform (since most platforms are very small), having a Dthrow in there doesn't matter as much. This requires walking but since that is the point of a moving CG, expect the walking issue.

So yeah, there are more CG's than these but these tend to be the basic ones. It's all about preference in the end, just make sure your CG follows those requirements.

MADRE

Smash Rookie
So basically I should just go directly into b-throw into d-throw.
Also if you don't mind me asking in the same tread how do I go about learning the different timings, because when I change characters to practice on it kind of messes me up.
Thanks DemonicTrilogy for your reply it taught me alot.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
So basically I should just go directly into b-throw into d-throw.
Also if you don't mind me asking in the same tread how do I go about learning the different timings, because when I change characters to practice on it kind of messes me up.
Thanks DemonicTrilogy for your reply it taught me alot.
Basically, adapt yourself to three different timings. There are medium weights, where the grabs go at a normal speed, heavy weights, where the grab slows down and your back throw is more susceptible to Nana sliding making walking an issue (though because of heavy weights slowing down the throws, there is usually enough time to walk to where Nana slid) and there are light weights, where the grabs are going at a very fast pace, making Nana accidentally rolling rather than regrabing during the Popo b-throw more likely. Just get used to those three timings for now. It is very obvious when a character is considered light, heavy, or medium. To test for this, you can Popo d-throw to Nana fair and see what happens. If your opponent is ground slammed after the second d-throw fair (given that your d-throw and fair were fresh when you did the first one), your opponent is lightweight. If the opponent makes it so you have to have more significant delay between the d-throw to Nana jumping for the fair, the character is heavy weight. If your inputs of d-throw to nana jump to fair to regrab can be done in an even rhythm, the character is medium weight. Once you know their weights, you can put them into these three categories and just adapt to three different timings with very little need to adjust your timing for each character. Be warned that some characters have really strange grab timings cough* Rob cough* that you will have to specialize your timing for.

MADRE

Smash Rookie
This is going to suck. Oh well I've gotten in too deep.

Prawn

Smash Master
Sorry... I didn't mean to make the Ice Climber CG's look monstrous. It's just that they require a lot of dedication to do consistently, that's why players take months to master them under tournament pressure.
Very true statement, I had them down "pretty good" at my house.

Now go look at Mass Madness rankings, :laugh: last place. Oh well, just takes more time and patience, just gotta work through them.

MADRE

Smash Rookie
My bad I'm just complaining. Is it me but does anyone else look at their opponent's face just to see their reaction. idk I get some kind of sick pleasure. I guess thats why I stuck with them.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Question and Answer thread. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom