• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

b-sticking or smash attacks?

manatlegs

Smash Rookie
Hey! A little new to the smash community and want to pick up the lizard. In terms of the c-stick, would b-sticking be more effective for the specials specifically setting up chases with the super jump or would smashes on the c-stick be better?

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
I dunno what you would gain from b-sticking (really with the majority of the cast in this game) but maybe I'm missing something.

But you should just leave the stick how it is. You'll want it for d-smash and f-smash especially, as d-smash is part of his game in general (though charging it is also just as used during tech chases) and f-smash is really good in certain match-ups (Marth come to mind immediately.)

manatlegs

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the response! I've been practicing charizard had difficulty with on the go down b's but I think have it. But I agree, that down smash is great move in generally for combos and tech chases.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
If you're looking to change up the C-stick, we've had a few Charizard players change up their C sticks to Attack instead of Smash with decent success. I'm personally not too big of a fan of it, but easy dash-crouch-ftilts and jabs are nothing to scoff at.

metroid1117

Smash Master
If you're looking to change up the C-stick, we've had a few Charizard players change up their C sticks to Attack instead of Smash with decent success. I'm personally not too big of a fan of it, but easy dash-crouch-ftilts and jabs are nothing to scoff at.
Don't forget the C-stick'd NAirs :).

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Up to jump?
Tap jump has pros and cons. It's a pain if you use a character that can second jump after up B cause you will typically accidentally waist the jump when you do said up b, and it makes up tilts and up airs slightly harder (though you could use c-stick for up airs, A is sometimes more comfortable if you want to do it immediately after a jump or something).

Tap jump on's pros though are basically that it makes stuff OoS (out of shield) easier. You can jump out of shield, and jump squat can be canceled into up smash or up b (grounded) (also grab, but you can already do that OoS). So with tap jump you just hit up + a or up + c-stick up for up smash, and for up b you just hit up b (w/o tap jump you'd have to hit x or y slightly before hand). Plus I think there's some buffer when you use tap jump so if you time it slightly wrong during shield stun it might still work out(?) not sure on that tbh.

Last edited:

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
New to all this technical jargon, what is b-sticking exactly? For that matter, is it at all possible to remove the ability to Smash attack with a sharp analog stick push and your attack button?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
B-sticking = Using custom controls to set the c-stick to Special, allowing you to use B moves with the C-Stick.
Smashing can't be removed.
Also: Tap jump doesn't buffer jump while in shield, that's c-stick up, which will work regardless of whether you have tap jump on or not.

Also, keep tap jump on: Zard's U-Tilt is highly situational, a fast uair is a lot easier by tap jump+A, and Up-B OOS is great for clearing space when your opponent is at mid-to-high percents (it can even KO floaties trying to shield pressure) and UpSmash OOS is the ****. I'm not sure how essential tap jump is to JC upsmash, but I imagine that's easier too. The things tap jump makes easier far outweigh the things it makes harder.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Yeah I mean you can still buffer jump with c stick and lead your thumb up to B. Realized that after playing falco and trying to shine OoS. It's working fine with Snake and Samus too. It's definitely easier, but not necessary I suppose.

MaxThunder

PM Support
I don't change my c-stick... it's really easy to do f-tilts and jabs out of dash (OOD =D... yeah i made myself laugh...) with quarter circle movements of control stick... forward for f-tilt and backwards for jab... so easy i see no need doing it with c-stick...

metroid1117

Smash Master
I don't change my c-stick... it's really easy to do f-tilts and jabs out of dash (OOD =D... yeah i made myself laugh...) with quarter circle movements of control stick... forward for f-tilt and backwards for jab... so easy i see no need doing it with c-stick...
It's also beneficial for perfectly retreating/fastfall NAir, especially if you're shield dropping through a platform (which I don't, but I'm trying to get the hang of).

MaxThunder

PM Support
It's also beneficial for perfectly retreating/fastfall NAir, especially if you're shield dropping through a platform (which I don't, but I'm trying to get the hang of).
true but smash attacks are more valuable, imo...

but then again, i really suck at smash attacks without the c-stick...

Top Bottom