• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Avoiding Shieldgrabs?

Pima

Smash Journeyman
I've heard you can avoid a shieldgrab by shining just after an aerial, but it isn't working for me :\ and it has putten me in bad situations. Can someone give me any tips?

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
if your still getting shield-grabbed then your probably not l-canceling properly or your transitions into shines are too slow. Most likely its the first reason though.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
First learn to time the L-cancel better cause a shield can mess up your timing with that cause you land a bit later) second try shining when he starts the shieldgrab or just before he would. Otherwise he would just keep shielding the shine anyway and grab you after that(unless his shield is to small cause then the shine can go under his shield and still hit). Also make sure to jump out of the shine to get away immidiatly after you do it ( the safe way out) or follow up if it hits. Ofcourse if your opponent figures that out you need to start improvising so he can't follow your jump but that's up to you to figure out ^^

Pima

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help, I'll check if his shield is the one messing up my timing and see how to get used to it, altough I'll have to wait too see him again to practice since the stupid CPU doesn't shield.... oh well, thanks

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
invincibility stars replicate the lag experienced with shields when you hit them, so just go to training mode and use stars or turn on stars in vs mode and practice your shffling on them.

takieddine

Smash Master
Or you could go to Brinstar (i dont remember the exact level because i dont play it much) it has the slimy things holding the level together, shuffle on them, they have hitlag...

Top Bottom