• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Average player need help! Captain Falcon vs Fox!

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Hello there! I'm a pretty average Falcon player struggling to improve my act. Right now I have quite a lot of problems vs. my friends Fox, of course I checked out the MU thread, however it is not very detailed on every match up. My main problems with this match up would be:

Punishing: Fox doesn't lag very much unless he smashes, this means that punishing for me tends to be difficult, mostly it ends up being a shield grab unless he spaces correctly in which case I can't grab due to Falcon's grab range being kind of short. Any good tips on how to punish Fox? Which moves should I focus on using when punishing?

The KO: I have serious trouble KO'ing with Falcon overall, mostly because Kneeing is often difficult against good opponents and smashing with Falcon is often suicide. This means that I often have to rely on a staled Uair or possibly a, Utilt (which is unreliable if the opponent has good DI). Any tips on how to finish Fox off? Or, well, how to finish opponents off in general with Falcon.

Off-stage: I hate this. Recovering with Falcon against Fox is a pain the ass. If I go low he can go for shine > Legde Hog. If I go high I risk taking a Usmash to the face. How do I contest Fox off-stage?

Last but no least! Priority: Simple, which moves should I watch out for and which moves can I clash with?

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Punishing fox is only relevent offstage since his ground attacks can be shield grabbed at best, and his offstage recovery is fairly predicatable.

Space with back air and when one connects at high percents, you will likely force an offstage fight( with which is falcons main forte'.
But first, down throw up air to jab can reset into itself at low percents. Up airs rack up damage, back airs send opponents offstage. (dont rely on fair)

When dealing with fox offstage, its not that difficult with good reaction on a hit that can give you good DI. Good DI will allow some advantage vs fox's weak horizontal finish game. (Falcon with good DI will likely be at horiontally distance towards the stage when he gets close. If you flub DI a little, never recover high do to fox's high vertical kill power. Always recover low if DI is bad, because you still have a chance to survive atleast if you take a shine or the fox player misplaces the shine.

I cant help much wih what clashes with what, but all i know is U tilt beats nado. XD

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Punishing : if you have trouble grabbing out of shield then it's normal, you're playing Falcon. Here are some things you might want to try :
-shield drop Jab
-up B OOS, it has more range than grab but you really need a platform somewhere close if you whiff
-jump OOS > Nair Uair or Bair
-don't shield, dash away to make his move whiff then side B him

KO : Uair, Bair or Utilt. Don't try to kill with anything else unless he screws up badly and you can land a knee/smash. Else you can try to go for the gimp with flub knee and backwards Uair.
Don't be frustrated if you don't kill before 150%, it's perfectly normal.

Offstage : don't be predictable. Make it look like you're going to recover high then drift back and go for the ledge. Use the fact that your up B can change directions very quickly.

Priority : Fox's moveset is too fast for you to try to clash with, you can probably jab his Utilt but that's about it. Don't try to contest his hitboxes, don't try to go flashy.

Top Bottom