• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

autocancel bair using Y + c-stick / fast aerials after jump with Y

FunK92

Smash Rookie
Hi. Since this is my first message on this forum, let me just say that I play since I'm a kid, but only started playing it fairly seriously like a year ago through Netplay, weeklies in my city (Lausanne in Switzerland) and a smasher friend. Now that I'm getting a bit more competitive, I really wanna have my mind made up on how I do all my inputs and be able to stop hesitating about these ingame. Here's my current main struggle :

As a falco main, I have a hard time doing the auto cancel back air since I started using the c-stick to do aerials. [I heard pretty much everywhere that using c-stick to do aerials was better than using the control-stick + A.] Basically my thumb moves too slowly and I can't do the aerial fast enough after the short hop to hit the timing. The thumb goes from Y to do the jump to the c-stick to do the aerial (I have a much easier time doing the aerial to the left). Any tips on what I should do to be able to hit that autocancel bair timing? Train my fingers to get faster or do the autocancel bair with the A button?

Actually I have this "fastness of the thumb" issue in other situations, like aerials out of a full hop or up-air after a short hop to hit my opponent on the platform. Basically any situation where I need to do an aerial really quickly after a jump. My thumb is not that quick to go from Y to the c-stick :D I started using tap jump to help with that : since I jump with my left thumb, my right thumb can already be on the c-stick which allows me to do the aerial almost instantly after the jump. But tap jump doesn't allow you to control the direction of the jump as well, + you have no choice but to full jump. I could also some aerials with A : it's much quicker to move the thumb from Y to A than from Y to the c-stick. But I want to use the c-stick the most overall, so I'm not sure it's a good habit to get.

To solve that, so far I kinda see 2 possibilies :
1.train my fingers to get faster and always use Y to jump and c-stick to do the aerials.
2. Identify situations ; where I should use Y and c-stick, where I should use tap jump and c-stick, where I should use Y and A. (

I tried to be as precise as possible, hopefully not too much :o Thanks to anybody who read this!

Last edited:

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Hi.
I remember struggling with AC bair myself back then :)

1. DO NOT tap jump. Only instance when it's good is to DJ. Like shine>DJ>bair = :GCD::GCB:>:GCU:>:GCCL:
Don't start using tap jump on the ground because it'll become a source of error (FH/SH/accidental utilt...) AND doesn't allow you to control the direction of your jump. Which is like, really, really bad.

2. It's okay to use A ! To uair or bair as quick as possible (dair is not a problem since it's just a downward motion from Y>c-stick) A is just fine. Sure the downside is that you have to drift to the side you're bairing at, but it's a start. You'll get more comfortable to do it with c-stick eventually, but it takes time. I can do the cool westballz soft AC bair>turnaround utilt to the right (c-stick bair left) but I don't risk it in game facing the other side... Yet.
All this to tell you doing aerials with A is not a bad habit. Unlike tap jump.

Also, next time you have a question, I advise you to use the Falco Discussion Thread. More people will notice and respond, and there's often discussions you could learn from and participate.

Cheers from france !

FunK92

Smash Rookie
Allright, I will mix up aerials with c-stick and A then, and stop using tap jump. (Except for edgeguards from the ledge, I think it's good?) Hopefullly with time I will get quicker, and be able to input most of my aeriels with the c-stick :)

Allright, next time I will post on the Falco Discussion Thread.

Thanks for your answer ! (au fait je parle français ^^)

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Personally, I do all my aerials with the C-stick, including AC Bair. Your fingers are going to be slow at first, so just practice a lot. Feel free to use A, but I prefer to not worry about the analog stick's position.

FunK92

Smash Rookie
Allright I see. I have no idea how you manage to do that, personally I think I'm like 0,15 seconds late when I try to do the AC bair to the right with the c-stick. Hopefully that will come then.. If you manage to be that fast, I think doing all the aerials with the c-stick is ideal indeed.
Useless information : Lately out of frustration I started doing the AC bair with A, and even though I don't have as much control over it as if I did the AC bair with the c-stick, it's still so powerful, it feels great ^^

Thanks for your answer !

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Allright I see. I have no idea how you manage to do that, personally I think I'm like 0,15 seconds late when I try to do the AC bair to the right with the c-stick. Hopefully that will come then.. If you manage to be that fast, I think doing all the aerials with the c-stick is ideal indeed.
Useless information : Lately out of frustration I started doing the AC bair with A, and even though I don't have as much control over it as if I did the AC bair with the c-stick, it's still so powerful, it feels great ^^

Thanks for your answer !
Practice the movement over and over, and stay relaxed. Especially when hitting C-stick right, get the movement down slowly, and work up to AC speed.

FunK92

Smash Rookie
allright sounds like a great advice :) I will implement that c-stick AC bair training into my usual practice.

Top Bottom