• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Kaillera History (UPDATED: Shaya's History with Judas' Comments!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
As written by Judas, with ****ty edits from aa. If anything looks ****, thank aa. It was too good to just sit in me inbox, had to share with the people who would care about it (Shaya, atti, etc)

AUSTRALIAN KAILLERA HISTORY (SSB 64)
Revision date: 20/8/2011​

There are 2 Australian servers: 1 in NSW, 1 in WA. The NSW server is obviously better for ping, but the WA server is more stable and so is generally used by most people. There are only a handful of people who’ve discovered online play – snes101, Blackadder, kelv and a few others whose names are lost to us.

More players start to find out about kaillera and join the servers – ratsco, Shaya, Atticus, c. All these players are very good, but ratsco is the most highly skilled with kelv his only decent competitor (still 2-3 stocking). These two tend to play against one another mostly, but also against the rest of the server for entertainment. Ratsco joins a US server and challenges any and all good players to join the Aussie servers to play him. Isai responds! They have several matches with mixed results (Kuro or someone else confirmed this iirc).

This new contingent is joined shortly after by Blackshadow. He is decent, but improves considerably with ratsco’s guidance. At this point all the players are improving as they learn from one another. Most of the pioneering players fade into obscurity.

The WA server is shut down but other NSW and VIC ones sprout up for brief periods at a time. kelv changes his name to Kuromatsu. After growing tired of the game, lack of competition and many people asking him to ‘train’ them, ratsco leaves the server (I vaguely recall Atticus or Blackshadow saying it was actually due to him getting engaged and having to move for work or some other real life priority).

A new wave of players joins the server/s – Sweet Revenge, theministry, Silfa, Twilight, Jono (Sweet Revenge's brother). They go through a similar transformation to today’s current generation: most had decent skills when they first began online, but all got significantly better as they versed one another and learned from the older, more skilled players. At this point in time Kuro was now undisputed guru of smash, but Shaya, Atticus and Blackshadow were not far behind - Shaya’s Pikachu was almost unbeatable.

Asianaussie and Judas come on to the scene. AA brings with him a technical and theoretical knowledge about the game that the server has never seen. Too bad it was all wrong. Blackshadow went on to teach aa everything he knows. Other players begin to catch on to this and start to look at developing their game from a whole new standpoint. Judas can only play as Kirby and Mario – but basically cannot be defeated when doing so. Shaya quickly grows tired of this and goes off to play other games. Team games start to become the norm and the idea of ‘clans’ gets thrown around but dismissed just as quickly.

Kuro gets busy with school and starts to only come on sporadically. Even so, his technical ability remains above anyone else. Judas slowly learns to play all characters and before long his all-round skill is at the level of Sweet Revenge and Blackshadow. AA plays many games with Sweet Revenge and starts to become much better. His Link is the server’s best to all others bar Kuro.

A few months later, Adultlink and Taane arrive. Judas takes them under his wing. At this stage, Desiree had already established his own dedicated server. Brad and 1der join shortly after. 1der is meek and not a douche at this point. Again, a combination of Kuro/Sweet Revenge/Blackshadow and self-training contribute to their improvement.

2008/9

Kronos (to be referred to as krobro) appears. He popularises the ever-important pivot-grab-in-the-tent-with-DK tactic, then gets bored and moves on to playing an inconsistent Ness. This is later revived for the DK metagame by the infamous Leo. Adultlink and Taane depart as quickly as they arrived. Ministry, Silfa and Twilight are playing at increasingly infrequent intervals. Kuro and Atticus even more so. Shaya comes back for a surprise final encore before being consumed by Melee/Brawl. Judas is now top of the class. Unfortunately, with this comes his new-found penchant for sandbagging. This leads to a falling out with Blackshadow. Judas leaves!! (ZOMG...NOO!). Blackshadow now runs the show with Sweet Revenge…they don’t miss Judas…but they too get busy with school and life and as a result, activity dwindles.

Australian smash sees an explosion of new players including – Rom, James, ciaza, Pete.

>> NOTE: Judas was afk at this time so to those who were present, please add to the pages of history being sure to include details of who was around and who taught whom <<

Judas returns to find a ton of fresh-blooded scrubs posing as vets and his one-time nemesis, Blackshadow, nowhere to be found. The old gang of Kuro, AA, Sweet, Brad and 1der are still lurking, *****ing and occasionally playing Mario Party. AA establishes a short-lived rivalry with Brad in Age of Mythology. The new crowd goes about showing the rest of the server that they have something new to offer the community: discussions of rankings and ladders. This goes nowhere when people realise everyone already knows who is good at the game.

The server is going through a transitional phase in which the new kids on the block are keen to prove that they are able to rub shoulders with the giants of generations past. They do so by asking the experienced players for ‘super-secret tips’ and the like.

2009/10

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY LEO, HE HATH DESCENDTH AND HATH WROUGHT HELL ON ALL PRESENT.

The stability of Desiree’s server begins to waiver BECAUSE LEO ARRIVED and James saves the day by putting up the funds to have it privately hosted. To coincide with this revamped server, 2 new players join the community and are welcomed with closed arms - Dark and Dsc. Apparently they learn everything they need to know from Rom. This reflects poorly on Rom. Thankfully, legitimate player numbers are boosted with the addition of Karma. Sweet Revenge leaves. Atticus leaves. Judas leaves again! (what a homo).

Dark times descend on the server. All who are still present must bear witness to the reign of 2 almighty smash lords: Yu Grabb and Eye Pawnch (Leo and the return of the often boozed-up Kronos).

By the grace of Isai, the prodigal son Judas returns and vanquishes these 2 demons by combining his faithful sandbagging techniques with the server’s collective powers of verbal abuse and permabans.

The new generation has improved considerably and competition is arguably at an all-time high. Community forums, p2p games, tournaments and video-making are now commonplace, but player numbers and gameplay are inconsistent over the year due to the outside influences of school and life.

Judas leaves yet again (seriously!?)

The ciaza, Pete and Rom generation are now the gatekeepers. Kuro, AA, Judas and 1der still loiter, but are no longer the masters.

The idea of a ‘SSB 64 Family Tree’ is put forward. A brief written history is composed by the Elder Gods and stupidly left to ciaza for adaptation into said tree.

Leo now spends his time ‘liking’ Death Note groups on facebook.

SHAYA'S HISTORY (Orange = Judas' comments)​

Me and my friend Maurer probably started playing smash 64 online in 06. May have been earlier tbh. I even had other friends from high school who sometimes played with us. There was a server we played on, but it wasn't Desiree's (initially).

We played online with items, generally 4 stocks, dreamland only (like 9/10 games). We moved onto either 4 stocks or 5 stocks, without items (Maurer and I were around that far back that we just used to play against each other and didn't care about others: Kuro/ratsco (more ratsco) would always be anal about playing with us anyway). But eventually we started doing like 4 way games. Moved out of items, even though both Kuro and ratsco did play items games with us, it was just too easy for games to desync using them.

From what I was told, ratsco was quite a few years older than Kuro. Up until that stage the two had basically been playing one another exclusively as there were limited players on the server and certainly none at the same level. As you can imagine, they were somewhat excited when 2 new players in Shaya and Maurer showed up. However as Shaya says – the friends only played one another. Apparently Maurer was willing to play ratsco/Kuro but Shaya resisted. I heard that at the time Shaya was basically a younger and more hostile version of Dsc. I wouldn’t be surprised because I kinda got this vibe from him when I joined years later.

Atticus was around sporadically, he would show up at around the same time everyday and prefer to play 1v1s, but around 07 my friend Maurer kinda stopped playing online that much. Atticus and I started playing a bit and playing with ratsco. Kuro had a period where he wasn't around too much. Blackshadow started playing and suddenly we had a 4 man group who could play together and there'd be a 5th person who didn't get to play all the time. More often or not ratsco would sit out, he seemed really anal about it.

I can imagine that either he was trying to be nice by deferring because he was the oldest there, or he was just not looking forward to the nubfest. Kuro was always like that to us when Myself/Sweet/Jono etc had team games going. It’s funny cos we then found ourselves doing the exact same thing when guys like ciaza/James/Rom etc first started.

Around the time Desiree's first died was around the time PvP kaillera came out, and there was some large disconnect of the community. From what I understood ratsco quit, but I later found out he just only played pvp. Blackshadow disappeared. Atticus and I and sometimes Kuro were the only people really playing.

Blackshadow shows up again, ratsco seemed absolutely gone, Judas came on the server one day, he had supposedly only played in the pvp thing, and was a controller player. Blackshadow and I were a bit meh playing him, we couldn't beat his kirby unless we used like pikachu or ness or kirby ourselves, it was really apparent to us how much a controller made the difference (Kuro was controller, but we just thought he was absurdly amazing - and we got reasonably close playing with him using Pika against his best [at the time: fox]; we were really disappointed and felt we were kinda noob'd by Judas at the time; he couldn't beat any of our chars with anything bar kirby).

Atticus and I moved onto mupen64 because it allowed us better keyboard control set ups, so we pretty much were a group within ourselves and sometimes Kuro would play with mupen. The controller plugin for mupen wouldn't work with project64k and Judas would refuse to play with mupen. Judas brought with him like 3 or 4 players IIRC, but none were even close to as good as Judas.

Yeah this is pretty much spot on. I first started playing with my friends on console and then on p2p with a Logitech PS1 controller. The first strangers I played were Atticus and then Sweet and Twilight. They told me to join the server so me and my school mates as well as a few other new guys did. I found out that others used keyboard so I tried but it was so garbage in comparison. Mupen was supposed to be the next big thing but we refused to use it. It wasn’t just the plugin issues though, we were desyncing and lagging more than ever (which was the opposite of what it was meant to be good for).

I could only use Kirby at the time and this combined with the fact that I was quite a bit younger and a new player on the scene made it pretty lame for them. I copped a fair bit of abuse until I realised that they were probably justified about how ‘unfun’ it was. That’s when I started learning the other chars against Black/Sweet/Atti. No disrespect to Shaya because his Pika was leet at one stage, but I think before he left there were a few guys who had surpassed him skill wise – could have been his attitude or the fact that he didn’t care for 64 anymore due to the newer games.

I was still somewhat active up until brawl came out in 08.

SMASH 64 FAMILY TREE

asianaussie

Smash Hero
there are a lot of things that are wrong

but you spring chickens did a better job than i might've thought

****TY EDITS?

I WILL SMITE YOUR FACE

it does, but judy won't mind, cuz we're cool

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Green words = ciaza edits

****ty edits are ****ty. it takes away from the Judas feel of it

rom2014

Smash Rookie
We should mention the other players who joined briefly, i.e skeletom, ROBSTA, etc.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Updated.

I'll get to adding the twirly mustache soon Black =D

If anyone else wants to add something just let us know.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i remember the first bunch of matches i played against you

fairly even then i four stocked you with samus and you got whiny at me for sandbagging

this is @1der

blaze3927

Smash Ace
I was given the bible by MY Moses Desiree

CHAT LOG
Today is: 11/25/2007, 4:22:44 AM
CHAT LOG
Today is: 11/25/2007, 4:24:40 AM
CHAT LOG
Today is: 11/25/2007, 4:24:44 AM
CHAT LOG
Today is: 11/25/2007, 4:24:55 AM
***********New Session - 4:26:02 AM 11/25/2007*************
-:4:26:02 AM: Desiree [Joined]
[CHAT - 4:26:02 AM]: <server> Desiree's Server
[CHAT - 4:26:02 AM]: <server> Temporarily up until further notice
[CHAT - 4:26:02 AM]: <server> server IP 122.106.149.97:27888
[CHAT - 4:26:02 AM]: <server> http://www.ozhadou.net/
[CHAT - 4:26:03 AM]: <server> Desiree Rox My Sox!

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:9:39:34 PM: theministry [Closed Game]
-:9:39:35 PM: JuDaS [Joined]
-:9:39:40 PM: <Moo> hi
-:9:39:40 PM: theministry [Created Game] Mario Kart 64 (U) [!]
[CHAT - 9:39:40 PM]: <server> theministry created game: Mario Kart 64 (U) [!]
-:9:39:58 PM: Moo [Created Game] Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]
[CHAT - 9:39:58 PM]: <server> Moo created game: Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]
-:9:40:02 PM: <JuDaS> how do i play super smash?
-:9:40:09 PM: <Moo> do u have the rom?
-:9:40:12 PM: <JuDaS> yeah
-:9:40:21 PM: <Moo> have u set the controls?
-:9:40:27 PM: <JuDaS> yeah keyboartd
-:9:40:44 PM: <JuDaS> but this is first time online so dunno if it will work

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:9:12:02 PM: <c> i usd to play heaps like 2 yrs ago, den the servers wnet down
-:9:12:02 PM: <Kierby> lame
-:9:12:12 PM: <c> im not shaya!
-:9:12:20 PM: Kierby [Created Game] Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]
[CHAT - 9:12:20 PM]: <server> Kierby created game: Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]
-:9:12:30 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> Shaya would always blame his losses against me (which were frequent) as being a result of lag
-:9:12:35 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> even when we played over p2p
-:9:12:53 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> so I told him to stop making excuses, or leave the community
-:9:13:03 PM: <Kierby> how long have u been playing this online?
-:9:13:03 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> he said if I beat him in a Pika ditto, he'd leave
-:9:13:07 PM: <c> i remember he usd to get agro at kuro and ratsco
-:9:13:22 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> yeah ratsco was the one who taught me how to play
-:9:13:32 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> and kuro and I still play fairly often
-:9:13:39 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> where's ratsco nowadays?
-:9:13:43 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> stopped playing
-:9:13:46 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> aww
-:9:13:46 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> got bored of it
-:9:13:51 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> he'd be a god at this now
-:9:13:51 PM: <c> how about kuro?
-:9:13:54 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> and had other stuff to do in life
-:9:13:56 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> Kuro still plays
-:9:13:57 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> kuro still plays
-:9:14:01 PM: <c> i neva see him
-:9:14:02 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> i beat him not so long ago
-:9:14:04 PM: <Kierby> i have no idea who u guys r talkin a

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:9:52:59 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> you play melle right?
-:9:53:03 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> melee*
-:9:53:03 PM: <Judas> but surely hes played like non stop his whole life yeh black?
-:9:53:05 PM: <c> u know isai once came to aussie servas
-:9:53:09 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> yeah for 9 years
-:9:53:12 PM: <Judas> omg bs
-:9:53:13 PM: <Judas> c
-:9:53:13 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> since it came out in 1999.
-:9:53:22 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> he did?
-:9:53:22 PM: <c> its true, under the name malva00
-:9:53:27 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> haha
-:9:53:28 PM: <Judas> prob was a fake
-:9:53:29 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> wow
-:9:53:31 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> XD
-:9:53:33 PM: </\InuYasha/\> wasnt this server
-:9:53:35 PM: <Judas> wen was this?
-:9:53:35 PM: <c> no, kuro and ratsco playedhim
-:9:53:36 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> you ppl r scary man
-:9:53:40 PM: <c> iinet kaillera server
-:9:53:40 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> was it iinet?
-:9:53:40 PM: <Judas> omg
-:9:53:45 PM: <Judas> im gonna ask kuro
-:9:53:46 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> ah
-:9:53:55 PM: </\InuYasha/\> if it was like 2 years ago
-:9:53:57 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> if kuro has
-:9:54:00 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> Kuro played him?
-:9:54:03 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> he's a fkn god
-:9:54:14 PM: <c> they got owned lol, kuro got 2stock off him and rats got 1, too cool
-:9:54:23 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> woah
-:9:54:26 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> lol even getting 1 stock off has to be awesome

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:2:20:56 PM: ratsco [Joined]
-:2:22:06 PM: metaknight 007 [Closed Game]
-:2:22:06 PM: metaknight 007 [Quit]
-:2:22:06 PM: metaknight 007 [Joined]
-:2:22:10 PM: <metaknight 007> lol
-:2:22:14 PM: metaknight 007 [Created Game] SMASH BROTHERS (916B8B5B-780B85A4:E)
[CHAT - 2:22:14 PM]: <server> metaknight 007 created game: SMASH BROTHERS (916B8B5B-780B85A4:E)
[CHAT - 2:23:04 PM]: <server> Failed: Invalid Command: /alivecheck
[CHAT - 2:23:51 PM]: <server> Failed: Invalid Command: /alivecheck
[CHAT - 2:24:38 PM]: <server> Failed: Invalid Command: /alivecheck
[CHAT - 2:25:25 PM]: <server> Failed: Invalid Command: /alivecheck
-:2:26:05 PM: ratsco [Quit]

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:9:19:10 PM: <c> kuro was here bfore black
-:9:19:14 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> o
-:9:19:20 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> so kuro's naturally better?
-:9:19:26 PM: <c> i fink kuro taught ratsco...

first time AA ever joined

***********New Session - 7:04:00 AM 3/1/2008*************

:12:50:23 PM: asianaussie [Joined]

First time JuDaS ever joined

***********New Session - 8:19:13 PM 2/2/2008*************
-:9:39:35 PM: JuDaS [Joined]

first time 1der ever joined

***********New Session - 6:02:09 AM 5/17/2009*************
<<<many failed alive checks later>>>

-:1:09:39 PM: 1der [Joined]

Ciaza, and james didnt make the cut, turns out there was a STREET FIGHTER james that appeared to **** dead bodies. so me, ciaza, rom came after as we are not in the log.

Ratsco only ever logged on once to this server after 2007

CHAT LOG
Today is: 5/18/2009, 8:11:26 PM

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:11:53:04 PM: <Kuromatsu> Kelvin
-:11:53:11 PM: <Kuromatsu> just call me kelv if you wants
-:11:53:23 PM: <=ANGA= Sweet Revenge> kuro is easier
-:11:53:24 PM: <=ANGA= Sweet Revenge> lol

blaze3927

Smash Ace
-:8:52:37 PM: <ComboTurtle!> did u play anyone good at cok?
-:8:52:47 PM: <ComboTurtle!> i got the most ****ed up match ups
-:8:52:48 PM: <Redact> i almost beat scrubs
-:8:52:49 PM: <Redact> D:
-:8:53:03 PM: <ComboTurtle!> ive beaten him a few times iirc
-:8:53:17 PM: <Redact> lol but he is the 3rd best peach in aus
-:8:53:18 PM: <ComboTurtle!> hes good though
-:8:53:29 PM: <ComboTurtle!> i had to play pat, sloth and king kong
-:8:53:44 PM: <ComboTurtle!> lost to pat and sloth
-:8:53:50 PM: <ComboTurtle!> u went to sizzler huh?
-:8:54:08 PM: Dekar [Joined]
-:8:54:11 PM: <ComboTurtle!> deks
-:8:54:12 PM: <Dekar> sup
-:8:54:19 PM: <ComboTurtle!> whos 2nd best peach?
-:8:54:25 PM: <Dekar> uhh
-:8:54:29 PM: <Dekar> wow.. no idea
-:8:54:34 PM: <Dekar> not redact :p
-:8:54:36 PM: <ComboTurtle!> yeah
-:8:54:48 PM: <ComboTurtle!> deks
-:8:54:52 PM: <Dekar> mmhm?
-:8:54:54 PM: <ComboTurtle!> change connection type
-:8:54:56 PM: <ComboTurtle!> to excellent
-:8:54:57 PM: <Dekar> oh k
-:8:55:01 PM: Dekar [Quit]
-:8:55:05 PM: Dekar [Joined]
-:8:55:10 PM: <ComboTurtle!> gj

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
blaze3927 said:
-:9:12:30 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> Shaya would always blame his losses against me (which were frequent) as being a result of lag
-:9:12:35 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> even when we played over p2p
-:9:12:53 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> so I told him to stop making excuses, or leave the community
-:9:13:03 PM: <Kierby> how long have u been playing this online?
-:9:13:03 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> he said if I beat him in a Pika ditto, he'd leave

10dastardlys

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Thanks for the NOTUPLE POST JAMES.

I got Kuro to read this thing, he said he'd add to the history =D.

-:9:52:59 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> you play melle right?
-:9:53:03 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> melee*
-:9:53:03 PM: <Judas> but surely hes played like non stop his whole life yeh black?
-:9:53:05 PM: <c> u know isai once came to aussie servas
-:9:53:09 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> yeah for 9 years
-:9:53:12 PM: <Judas> omg bs
-:9:53:13 PM: <Judas> c
-:9:53:13 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> since it came out in 1999.
-:9:53:22 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> he did?
-:9:53:22 PM: <c> its true, under the name malva00
-:9:53:27 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> haha
-:9:53:28 PM: <Judas> prob was a fake
-:9:53:29 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> wow
-:9:53:31 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> XD
-:9:53:33 PM: </\InuYasha/\> wasnt this server
-:9:53:35 PM: <Judas> wen was this?
-:9:53:35 PM: <c> no, kuro and ratsco playedhim
-:9:53:36 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> you ppl r scary man
-:9:53:40 PM: <c> iinet kaillera server
-:9:53:40 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> was it iinet?
-:9:53:40 PM: <Judas> omg
-:9:53:45 PM: <Judas> im gonna ask kuro
-:9:53:46 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> ah
-:9:53:55 PM: </\InuYasha/\> if it was like 2 years ago
-:9:53:57 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> if kuro has
-:9:54:00 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> Kuro played him?
-:9:54:03 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> he's a fkn god
-:9:54:14 PM: <c> they got owned lol, kuro got 2stock off him and rats got 1, too cool
-:9:54:23 PM: <iTaane (SSB)> woah
-:9:54:26 PM: <Blackshadow (SSB)> lol even getting 1 stock off has to be awesome
Funny that, Kuro told me the same thing on MSN chat. Apparently ratsco called malva "an addict", malva o_O 'd, then left.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
skill gaps in the 06-07 era are generally overstated in my opinion. ratsco was certainly the best player (although it wasn't my impression that kelv was that far off), but by the time i was playing him regularly our matches were all fairly close and i took my fair share of games off him. i can't speak for how shaya's "unbeatable" pikachu did against others but i'd have given it 50/50 odds with my own at best. :)
ratsco wasn't really anal about playing people (or at least me), he just didn't mind sitting out when there were too many people and he just hated shaya lol

SweetChilli

Smash Rookie
What happened next? I want to know. And how did the skill of these guys compare to the best in Aus now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom