• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Aug 22nd - 23rd, 2015] Smash Nexus - Feat: Holy - Ottawa, ON - Smash 4 Singles, Doubles, & More

PND

Smash Champion

Introducing Smash Nexus, Ottawa's largest Smash 4 Tournament. Brought to you by 613 Smash, Ottawa's Smash 4 Community.

www.smashnexus.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/1030196490324860/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/613smash/

Saturday August 22nd, 2015 – 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Sunday August 23rd, 2015 – 10:00 am to 8:00 pm

Courtyard Marriott Hotel
350 Dalhousie St
Ottawa, ON K1N 7E9

Pre-register at:
www.smashnexus.com

Registration opening soon. Make sure to sign up for the mailing list so you don't miss your chance!

$15 Venue Fee (Gets you unlimited access all weekend)
$15 Singles
$10 per player Doubles
$5 per Player Crews
$5 for Amiibos

Total: $50 for all events

Exact times and order still TBA

Day One:
Singles Pools, Doubles, Amiibos

Day Two:
Singles, Doubles Top 8, Crews

Venue has a restaurant and a Starbucks. There are many food establishments located nearby in the market.
Venue is a hotel, check back for details on special rates.
Some of our Smashers are offering housing for the tournament. Contact me or post here for more details.

● Mode: Stock. 2 Stocks for Singles. 3 Stocks for Doubles.
● Time: 6 Minutes for Singles. 8 Minutes for Doubles.
● Handicap: Off
● Team Attack: On
● Damage Ratio: 100%
● Custom Fighters: set to off
● Items: Off
● Pause: On, but only allowed on respawn platform to call a TO to the match, or unless both players agree in case of emergency situations. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game. If the pause causes the opponent to lose a stock, the player who pauses forfeits 2 stocks. If the pause causes a player to lose a game, the player who paused forfeits the game. Repeat offences will incur disqualification from the tournament.
● All Characters Available INCLUDING DLC Characters
● Mii Fighters are legal. You must use default A Mii. Your special move setup must be 1111, 2222, or 3333. You may not use your own Mii. Equipment is banned.
● Sets are best-of-3, except for Grand Finals, Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, Winner's Semifinals, and Loser's Semifinals, which will be best-of-5.

Set Procedure:
1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to do Double Blind Character Selection (see next section)
2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
3. The players play the first match of the set
4. Winning player of the preceding match may ban up to 2 stages. .
5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match
6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat Steps 4 through 8 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Additional Rules:
● Stage Selection Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it.
Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on during the set -- UNLESS the other player/team agrees to it.
● Double Blind Character Selection: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
● Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
● Stalling is banned: The act of stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable. Stalling tactics include but are not limited to becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., pausing, freeze glitches, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
● Bowser Jr’s Clown Car Glitch: If the Bowser Jr.’s Clown Car Glitch happens, players are to pause the match and call a TO or a referee over to confirm the glitch has happened. Once confirmed, players will reset the match to the same stocks and get as close to the percents as they had when the Glitch took place. (The Bowser Jr. Clown Car Glitch happens when the car respawns after using Up B right before the player loses their stock. The character starts to teleport around, also hit boxes and animations for Bowser Jr. change.)
● Time Outs / Ties: The winner of a match that goes to time (time out) will be determined by stocks and percentage. When the timer hits 0:00 player with the higher stock count is the winner. If both players are tied in stocks the player with the lower percentage is the winner. In the event of a percentage tie, or a match in which both players lost their last stock simultaneously, a 1 stock tiebreaker will be played with time limit of 3 minutes. Sudden Death is not to be played at all, and will not count.
● Self-Destruct Moves: We go by what the game says. If the game declares a winner, they win the match. If the game goes to sudden death, we will go by time-out rules above (stock, then percent.) If there is a debate about final percentages, save the replay and a TO will review it and declare a winner.
● Stock sharing is allowed in doubles.
● Colorblind Rule: Players may request that their opponent change colors to accommodate colorblindness or if their color is indistinguishable from either the other team color or the stage background. The request must be made before the match starts.
● Team Colors: Players’ character colors must match their team's color when possible, to avoid confusion (ex: Luigi on the green team must use the green costume).
● Warmups: Warmup periods, button checks, and “handwarmers” may not exceed 30 seconds on the game clock. Violation of this rule may result in an automatic forfeit at the discretion of the TO.
● Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining. If both players agree, the first match can be decided by random select of the 5 starters.
● Controllers: Alternate or custom controllers/adapters are allowed. WiiPad, due to how expensive the pad is, is banned. Any illegal modifications to controllers (Turbo, Macro, etc) are banned, and are liable to get you DQ'ed at TO discretion.
● Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.

Amiibo Specific Rules:
One Amiibo registered per entrant. No swapping Amiibos.
Custom moves are allowed.
Custom equipment, stats, and bonuses are also allowed.
Bracket will be single elimination, 3 stock, 8 minutes.
Players will stage strike to a starter stage for their amiibos to play on.

Stage List:

Starter Stages
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Smashville
● Lylat Cruise
● Town & City

Counterpick Stages
● Castle Siege
● Delfino Plaza
● Duck Hunt
● Halberd
● Kongo Jungle 64
● Dreamland 64
● Miiverse*
● Omega Stages**

* Treated as Battlefield in banning phase. If Battlefield is
banned, Miiverse is also banned and vice versa.

** Treated as Final Destination in banning phase. If Final Destination is
banned, Omegas are banned and vice versa.

All tournaments will have the following pot split:

Singles
1st Place – 55%
2nd Place – 20%
3rd Place – 10%
4th Place - 5%
5th Place (2) - 3%
7th Place (2) - 2%

Please have your own controller ready to play. We will not be providing them.
Remove batteries from your wiimotes after every match.
Unsync your pro controllers after every match.

Any malfunctions or errors associated with your controller are your responsibility, so make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of a controller problem.

Feel free to contact us at:
info@smashnexus.com

Or contact me, PND, directly through PM.​

Last edited:

PND

Smash Champion
Do you need a passport to get to Canada, and need information on where to start? Do you need directions? Any questions you may have, please post them, PM them to me, or email them to info@smashnexus.com and we'll get you sorted out.

Calandracas666

Smash Rookie
This is great I am sure to attend all weeklys to practice for this

but the most important thing is that we have the stage clause on so we can play on pilot wings. God bless

Epriss

Smash Rookie
So I have a few things I need to sort out. I really want to attend, but unfortunately, I don't know if this is official or not. I realize Dabuz is attending and that it sounds official, but the Gamespaces and 613 Smash are both small organizations considering they aren't too well known on the Internet, so I'm not too sure about just going to a hotel and playing in a competition. I'm not distrusting anyone, and as I said before, I really want to attend, but I need proof that this is real. I'm really sorry if this all sounds ridiculous, but this is the first tournament I might be going to, so I'm kind of worried.

Additionally, I can't see anything on the website other than the sections, but I don't see any information. I've attached a screenshot of the website. When I scroll down, it only goes down to the copyright. Is this just for me? Anyways, because of this, I'm not sure how to register if I end up doing so.

Sorry and thank you so much,
Epriss.

Contra

Smash Rookie
So I have a few things I need to sort out. I really want to attend, but unfortunately, I don't know if this is official or not. I realize Dabuz is attending and that it sounds official, but the Gamespaces and 613 Smash are both small organizations considering they aren't too well known on the Internet, so I'm not too sure about just going to a hotel and playing in a competition. I'm not distrusting anyone, and as I said before, I really want to attend, but I need proof that this is real. I'm really sorry if this all sounds ridiculous, but this is the first tournament I might be going to, so I'm kind of worried.

Additionally, I can't see anything on the website other than the sections, but I don't see any information. I've attached a screenshot of the website. When I scroll down, it only goes down to the copyright. Is this just for me? Anyways, because of this, I'm not sure how to register if I end up doing so.

Sorry and thank you so much,
Epriss.
Hey There Epriss,

My name is Contra from Gamespaces.ca, first of all thank you for this question as we would like to be as transparent as possible. Gamespaces is a new company created by me after aprox 10yrs of being involved with the competitive gaming scene in Canada, I have been working with PND who is also a long time veteran in Ottawa's Smash scene. We normally do tradeshow and conventions but have deicded to support the smash scene by holding a large tournament in our home town. I really hope you will consider attending.

With that being said if you are using firefox it can cause this issue with the site which we are working on, if you could give it a try in IE or Chrome and let me know if it works for you, PND or I will awnser any other questions or concerns that you have :).

Thanks!

Epriss

Smash Rookie
Hey There Epriss,

My name is Contra from Gamespaces.ca, first of all thank you for this question as we would like to be as transparent as possible. Gamespaces is a new company created by me after aprox 10yrs of being involved with the competitive gaming scene in Canada, I have been working with PND who is also a long time veteran in Ottawa's Smash scene. We normally do tradeshow and conventions but have deicded to support the smash scene by holding a large tournament in our home town. I really hope you will consider attending.

With that being said if you are using firefox it can cause this issue with the site which we are working on, if you could give it a try in IE or Chrome and let me know if it works for you, PND or I will awnser any other questions or concerns that you have :).

Thanks!
Thanks for answering Contra, I still have to think about it but that definitely cleared things up, and now that I can see the website, it really helps.

Thanks again,
Epriss.

PND

Smash Champion
If it makes you feel more secure, check out one of our Monday events. Not only will you be able to meet the scene face to face, we will also be taking Nexus signups in person if that makes you feel more comfortable than paying online.

That being said,
REGISTRATION IS LIVE!

You can register online, or come out to our Monday events and sign up in person.

PND

Smash Champion
If the opponents agree, then you can choose different colors. If they disagree though, you must abide by the colour rule.

PND

Smash Champion
I'm super excited to announce that 613 Smash will be partnering with Breakfall Games to bring you Starwhal at Smash Nexus!

We will be holding a free-to-enter Starwhal tournament and demos of the game all weekend long. You could be the first Starwhal World Champion! Prizes abound!

Check out more about Starwhal info here:
http://www.starwhal.com/

Last edited:

PND

Smash Champion
Have you entered the Nexus yet? 613 Smash is raffling off copies of Starwhal to players who have registered for Nexus on www.smashnexus.com. We are doing weekly draws, live on stream, at our Monday Night Mayhem weekly Smash 4 events.

Register early to increase your chances to win!

Now for the bad news. I regret to inform everyone that Dabuz will no longer be able to make this event. He had a conflict come up. We are looking into other players to feature, I will report back as soon as we have news.

Cody645

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cody645
3DS FC
5429-7944-5036
I'd want to attend, but 50$? I don't think I have the cash for that... I blame it on amiibo

PND

Smash Champion
It's only $50 if you plan on entering every single event.

$15 for Venue
$15 for Singles
$10 for Doubles
$5 for Crews
$5 for Amiibos

You can pick and choose whichever events you prefer.

Last edited:

Cody645

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cody645
3DS FC
5429-7944-5036
Ehh, I'll see. Still not sure if I'll have enough but only my bank will tell.

PND

Smash Champion
Attention everyone who hasn't yet signed up for Nexus. Monday will be the last day we are taking registrations.

If you plan on going, but aren't able to pay until the day of the event, **sign up now.** As soon as the form asks for your payment information, close the tab and it will save your information. We will accept the payment at the door.

To recap, registrations close Monday night. Sign up ASAP.

Cody645

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cody645
3DS FC
5429-7944-5036
What exactly is crew battles?
A crew battle is a form of competition between two teams, or crews. Each team starts out with the same number of stocks, which is usually divided evenly between the members of a team. For example, a Melee crew battle with five members on each team might have 20 stocks per team, four for each member.

Players from the opposing teams then take turns fighting in 1v1 matches, with the winner of a match carrying their remaining stock(s) to face the next member of the opposing team. Stocks lost by the victorious player in a previous match are subtracted from the player's stocks by self-destructing at the beginning of the next match. For example, if Player A defeated the other team's Player B with two stock remaining, he or she would need to SD until only two stock remained for the next match against Player C, who starts with full stocks. This continues until one crew runs completely out of stocks, in which case the other crew is the victor.

PND

Smash Champion
Crews is kind of like a Pokemon Battle. It's 5v5, and stocks carry over in between matches. If you die against Player A, but win, you start your match against Player B by suiciding until your stocks are the same as last match. You choose when to send your players in, kind of like a pokemon battle.

Top Bottom