• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assuming the Starting Roster is the Original 8, Who Will You Start With?

Who Will You Start With?

• Total voters

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai actually talked about this in a column for Famitsu stating that he wanted to make sure no characters would go untouched by making the roster small to start and actually compared the idea of unlocking characters to that of unlocking cars in a racing game.
not entirely sure what that means... similar to unlocking cars in a racing game?

seems oddly specific, but at the same time... kinda vague.

then again, i don't play racing games, usually.

does that give anyone else an idea on how unlocking characters might work?

Dusclod

Smash Rookie
not entirely sure what that means... similar to unlocking cars in a racing game?

seems oddly specific, but at the same time... kinda vague.

then again, i don't play racing games, usually.

does that give anyone else an idea on how unlocking characters might work?
I think he meant that you don't start with every car just like how you won't start with every character in Smash Ultimate. You have to unlock them as you go.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I think he meant that you don't start with every car just like how you won't start with every character in Smash Ultimate. You have to unlock them as you go.
but that makes no sense to compare it to a racing game and cars specifically... the same goes for ANYTHING with unlockables.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Definitely Pikachu. Most comfortable with him for sure.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I will probably start with Link. I'm a huge fan of the Zelda series, and can't wait to try his updated moves.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I’m probably gonna go with Pikachu because I like its costumes the most out of what I’ve seen so far. I mentioned in another thread that I’m shipping Party Hat Pikachu and Pikachu Libre now ;) and they’ll be my two main skins to start.

I read the Sakurai article and I’m wondering based on the racing game analogy if some of the characters are going to be purchased with in-game coins. I’d actually be okay with this from a casual perspective because for example if I don’t like a particular character I don’t have to buy them if I don’t want to (cough cough Bayonetta cough cough). Obviously it’s different if I want my machine to be tournament usable but still...

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
It felt like to me they meant the starting roster would be as small as the N64's roster, as in the N64's full roster including unlocks. So the starting roster would be the original 12. If that's the case, I'll start with Ness! If not, I'll go with Yoshi or Pikachu.

Either way, I'm SUPER excited about this. I love unlocking characters in games like this, it's really fun and gives me the incentive to play the game a lot.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Probably the character who's been my main since Day 1 Smash 64. Let's go.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Link. I absolutely love his Breath of the Wild design, and his changes look like they'll be right up my alley. I'll probably use him up until I unlock Captain Falcon and then Ganondorf.

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
I'm lucky enough that my main is in there from Jump street so Mario all the way.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Mario is as basic as it comes. I'd imagine it'll ship with the original 12 so I'll probably go Falcon, but if only the original 8 are unlocked, I'll go with the main man himself.

Last edited:

TooterDoo

Smash Rookie
Pikachu or Ness, depending on if we're starting with the original 8 or all 12. I really hope I can unlock Lucas quickly.

Top Bottom