• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assist Trophies are actually garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The Assist Trophy are actually bad items in that's in Smash Bros, and they're legitimately way worse in Ultimate. "These are a characters that help you. These characters couldn't be fighters to begin with. It's an honor for a character to be included, even as an Assist." These are the things that people say in defense to Assist Trophies, but they just don't work.

There here to help - In some fighting games you there are assist options, but you get to choose who you get to be as an assist. In Smash Bros you don't get to decide what Assist Trophy you get, so you have a 1.7% of summoning a character you wanted. You don't get a decision of when you can summon them, the game just drops them when it feels like it. You can't even choose where you can summon Assist Trophies either, you have no choice but to summon it right there and now. It takes control out of the player's hands; with item you can decide when to use it and with Final Smashes you can chose when to activate it, you get no choices with Assist Trophies.

These characters couldn't be fighters - 17 out of the 59 Assist Trophies in Ultimate would've works as fighters, many people wanted these characters. Now that they're Assist Trophies that means they can't become fighters as DLC. So we now have 17 characters screwed over, and yes Assist do deconfirm characters. Remember this comment Sakurai said on Miiverse https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8st22a/when_you_realize_waluigi_got_btfod_by_sakurai/

It's an honor for a character to be included as an Assist - No it's not. A character being an Assist Trophy is Sakurai and his team way of saying that that character isn't important to work on. Basically Piranha Plant was way more important to be a fighter than Krystal, Bomberman, Akira, Isaac, Shadow, Zero, Shovel Knight, Midna, Ashley, Takamaru, Waluigi, Springman, Dillon, Skull Kid, and Lyn. They didn't think any of those guys are worth the time to put in to make them playable despite a lot of them having a lot of demand, but Piranha Plant was worth all the time and dedications to make. Now enjoy all the fanart of you favorite character getting mocked and ridicule for being an Assist.

Assist Trophies are just terrible. I rather they're don't get made since majority of people play with Assist Trophies and Smash Balls turned off. Nothing is better than something in this case. (plus if Sakurai and his team didn't bother make so many Assist Trophies then maybe the could have more breaks)

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
It adds to the randomness factor. Besides, better for characters to show up as an assist than to not show up at all.

Anyway, point is that Smash isn’t the kind of game to rant about assists. You’ll receive the assist-rant pass once you’ve played MvC2. This is your first warning.

D

Deleted member

This post was probably made by someone who 1v1'd an Assist Trophy and lost.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
No offense but I think you’re looking for trouble if you’re only made this thread to vent out.

Anyway, I don’t think Assist Trophies were never a terrible idea to begin with but I can see why they’re becoming such a problem with the Smash community with Ultimate making the situation worse.

Now the idea of ATs back in Brawl were brilliant because it was fun to have various misc side characters and enemies to assist on the Battlefield and even if it was a character you wanted that couldn’t make the roster, they’re were still presented in the game as a consolation prize.

However now that DLC exists within 4 and Ultimate, ATs pretty much became a death sentence because it’s a official announcement that your character isn’t playable and will not be DLC so the only chance is to wait till next Smash to see if they even have a shot and that seriously bites.

I know ATs do get upgraded to playable fighters hence with :ultlittlemac::ultdarksamus: & :ultisabelle: but considering only 3 characters of 70 in the roster have gotten promoted out of that cesspool, it’s not looking really good.

Now I do believe that ATs can be considered an honor since an Indie character like Shovel Knight got in the game at all and I found that fantastic but you get down to :ultpiranha: and Sakurai stating that it wasn’t an AT....it means he’s aware that the position is more suited towards low tier mooks and it gives people the impression that your most wanted isn’t good enough to be playable yet an obstacle in Mario games that’s even playable in its own series is more worthy of fighter status, that’s not his intention to make you feel that way but I don’t blame people for thinking so.

Again, Assist Trophies are not a bad thing in Smash.

It works for baddies, side characters, and minor Nintendo characters like Hammer Bro, Jeff, Dr. Kawashima, and Arcade Bunny because the idea of them showing up to help works so well for them.

But when you go and make viable candidates who are obviously worthy of being in the roster like Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, Lyn, Bomberman, Takamaru etc, you give people the impression that they’re not good enough to be playable and I rather them not in be in the game at all if people only have to see their favorites stuck in a RNG item with no control over them and only for 15 seconds.

I don’t think ATs are inherently bad, just done extremely poorly.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I didn't read either of those novel posts but I don't like assist trophies. They're neat for some spirit matches, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom