• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As ZSS, my neutral game is missing efficient use of down-smash.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
Obviously, when used effectively, down-smash is a fantastic move. I'm having issues coming up with ways to safely (or at least mostly safely) use this move in the neutral game. There is so much mileage that you can get from down-smash, I'm confident that learning to use this tool in a better way will improve my game tremendously. I feel like even when I space this move as nicely as I can, I still get punished by certain characters.

Right now my use of this move is relegated to reading ledge get ups. I've seen Nairo do things like jab 1->down smash, not sure if he was messing around or trying to come up with some kind of spot dodge read?

Catching landings through down-smash frame traps could be good. Perhaps a grounded up-air approach -> prop them up -> bait air dodge -> down-smash?

I've mostly been a Samus main, so some advice from more seasoned ZSS people would be cool. I've brought my ZSS out in tournament lately and seen some really positive results. Would definitely like to optimize my play with her. What are some ways you down-smash with her effectively?

Last edited:

Wyles

Smash Cadet
Shield pressure, perfect pivot dsmash, and roll reads/spotdodge reads. It's worth noting if you have them backed to the ledge getting a dsmash at around 40-80% could mean getting their stock as well.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Softreads is probably the easiest way.
The good thing about dSmash is that if someone sits in shield and you suspect him to roll, you won't get punished for throwing out the dSmash and not getting the read.

I still try to get the dSmash on ledgegrab (the one frame thingy) and it works about 1 in 7.
I'm super surprised every time I get it tho so I tend to **** up the followup though lol

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
I'm curious to see what people provide on this, because I personally just don't really use the move in 1v1. I miss with it too much, and, while I think it has potential, I mostly developed my skills around all of her other abilities.

I find it much more useful in multiplayer or team battles.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think it depends a lot on who I'm playing, both the character and the player. I find that in some matches it's essential, in others it's useless. I agree with what Tobi said about soft reads. It's really the only safe way to use it. Throw it out if you think they might dash attack or dash grab.
I've noticed I tend to use it a lot against fox. Maybe that's just because foxes seem to love their dash attack.

Tumultus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTumultus
That was a great video, his use of d-smash is indeed beautiful. A couple of times during the set he runs and then down smashes in the opposite direction with seemingly no lag... How the heck is he doing that so quickly? Is this due to c-smashing (I have c-stick set to attack)

It seems like he's able to turn from a full run without any skid animation. It happens at approximately 4:51 for reference.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
TBH I have no idea how he does those turnaround dsmashes out of dash so fast.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
TBH I have no idea how he does those turnaround dsmashes out of dash so fast.
foxtrot turnaround dSmash

Input: dash, release left stick, wait for the dash to end, turn around, dSmash. The turn around part is honestly the hardest part but it's not that difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom