• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As superficial as it seems, I'm not a fan of Zelda/Sheik's new CSS portraits.

Rick Rockmann

Smash Cadet
As someone who's introduced P:M to a fair amount of new people who are completely unfamiliar with it (...and occasionally inebriated), I've found that one of the most common first impressions is "oh, they separated Pokemon Trainer." This is usually followed up by "so they separated Zelda and Sheik, too" which requires an explanation. With the Brawl/P:M 2.1 CSS portraits, which included both characters in the portraits, anyone can immediately infer that Zelda and Sheik can still transform into each other, but the wild Pokemon and (eventually) Samus and ZSS are separate characters. With the 2.5 portraits, that's less obvious.

It's an extremely minor gripe that can be solved with a two-second explanation or some experimentation (or even custom portraits), but I think reverting it in an official release would definitely improve readability, even just a little bit, for new players. Just some (hopefully) constructive feedback.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they should make a single rectangle including both Zelda and Sheik instead of 2 separate boxes, so you can select the one you want to start with, but visually it's obvious they're still both switchable in-game.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Brawl/P:M 2.1 CSS portraits, which included both characters in the portraits
Look like absolute crap together in those portraits, really hideous old design I'm very glad they changed for the better.

The moment that an ignorant new player uses their shared Down Special and finds they can still transform will be an epic one, and doesn't hurt the gameplay for them whatsoever.

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
It's a small thing but pretty much everyone I show Project M to immediately asks why they separated Sheik and Zelda, and then when told it's purely aesthetic say "that's dumb, it looks worse".

And especially now that all the Pokemon are in, as stated above, it is counter-intuitive.

I agree that this should be reverted.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I think it looks way better and emphasizes the fact that Zelda and Sheik CAN be played separately. The two seconds of explanation doesn't outweigh the aesthetic, imo. It balances the CSS and the CSPs look waaaay better.

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
I think it looks way better and emphasizes the fact that Zelda and Sheik CAN be played separately. The two seconds of explanation doesn't outweigh the aesthetic, imo. It balances the CSS and the CSPs look waaaay better.
Aesthetics are obviously subjective. But "emphasizes the fact that they can be played separately"? Come on. Anybody remotely familiar with Melee OR Brawl already knows that, and the fact they there would be two characters on one frame is much more logical; it shows that they transform into each other, rather than being completely separate characters (like Squirtle, Ivy, and Charizard).

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I think the onus here is on the "two in one box" supporters to completely redesign their character portraits so together they don't look like a bad photoshop job. Standing back to back would look interesting.

Otherwise, no deal.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I like the character portraits perfectly fine the way they are. Zelda and Sheik sharing one portrait bothered the hell outta me. If you're giving them two different character slots, separate them for the sake of neatness. It's like having Samus and ZSS sharing one portrait. Since Samus CAN transform into ZSS without a Smash Ball. It's more logical to have them share the same frame, right? Of course not. They're separate characters that play differently, treat them as such.

When I boot up Project M to people who are new to it, one of the first things I say is that Red's Pokemon are separate characters. Anybody who says, "Oh, they separated Sheik and Zelda.", just say "You can still transform between the two." and that's that. I don't see how much clearer people can make it. Maybe your friends should lay off the sauce.

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
I'd like to reassert that this really isn't a big deal, but since we've got an argument I'll respond.

I like the character portraits perfectly fine the way they are. Zelda and Sheik sharing one portrait bothered the hell outta me. If you're giving them two different character slots, separate them for the sake of neatness. It's like having Samus and ZSS sharing one portrait. Since Samus CAN transform into ZSS without a Smash Ball. It's more logical to have them share the same frame, right? Of course not. They're separate characters that play differently, treat them as such.

When I boot up Project M to people who are new to it, one of the first things I say is that Red's Pokemon are separate characters. Anybody who says, "Oh, they separated Sheik and Zelda.", just say "You can still transform between the two." and that's that. I don't see how much clearer people can make it. Maybe your friends should lay off the sauce.
Comparing Zelda/Sheik to Samus/Zamus is wrong. First of all, Zelda/Sheik have one of their four special moves (as such, a big deal) devoted to transforming. Zamus has a special input, and Samus doesn't even have the option of transforming. They are NOT comparable. This argument is inherently flawed.

The fact that you're able to explain away the counter-intuitiveness doesn't make it not counter-intuitive. If all push doors were labeled "pull", you could very quickly explain to just pull instead. It would still be illogical, as is separating Zelda/Sheik when they're a combined transform character.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Yeah yeah yeah. Don't care if the Samus example is inherently flawed. Samus and ZSS were a combined character. One character could turn into the other is the gist of it. Hell, ZSS didn't even have a portrait in Brawl, and you had to hold shield to select her. The fact that she's getting her own separate portrait shows the PMBR is acknowledging that these characters should be treated as separate characters, regardless of the fact you can transform between them in battle..

Either way, my point was it's a petty complaint, and it looks better the way it is. But oh well. I'm just being a douche about it at this point and it's futile since it's gonna be changed anyway, so whatever.

Top Bottom