• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

arial roy

crumsie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Crumsie
3DS FC
5086-1050-4090
I've heard that roy has a bad air game. If he does, could you tell me what ground moves I should use more often?

stuntcuum3571

Smash Ace
Roy has a good SHFFL (short hop, fast fall, l-cancel) aerial game. I believe ppl say he has a bad aerial game because they compare him to Marth. but NEways, Dtilt is a great launcher, and DED is in a league of its own for ground games. A good Roy will mix aerials with those two moves, along with Ftilt and Fsmash. Im sure a Roy player will peak in and give you a lil more help.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
stuntcuum is right. Roy should always be shff'ling his aerials. Otherwise they have too much lag to be useful and not enough knockback. Almost all of them lead to a fsmash in some way so that's how they should be used. Use DED and dtilt often along with fsmash whenever there is an opening.

That reminds me, I don't think I've been using dtilt enough... I wish I could remember what I did during matches >_<

stuntcuum3571

Smash Ace
Thats one problem I have, I cant seem to find a time to use Dtilt. That doesnt seem like a big deal, but I use it with Marth qyite a bit. Im not good. Help?

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Wish I could. I need to create some videos of myself so "I" can watch them. Because I can't remember how often I use dtilt during matches. Maybe one of my friends will pop in and tell me since their the ones who are always on the recieving end of the attacks.

But with Marth it's sorta hard to get anything out of dtilt. But thing is probably shff'led uairs but I always forget to do them. So I usually use dtilt to jumped flare blade since I could get a possible KO from it. Just try to use it more any chance you get. And it CC for you too when you use it since you have to be crouching. So I end up CC a lot just from trying to use the dtilt.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There isn't much to Roys airgame.
1. Jump and fair. try and pull 2 off, one just as you hit the ground. If you can pull it off (or just use the attack near the ground) you can then Dtilt, then Fsmash.
2. Nair is good with Roy, though try and aim more for the 2nd strike than the 1st.
3. Dair, forget about spiking. Extremely hard to pull off for little return. Upair is good to juggle when the opp is on a platform above. You can juggle prety good with it. Same with peach when returning from above at mid percentages.

That's about it.

Ooh. And jump and use nutural b in the air. Can be very effective.

ArC_man

Smash Ace
Thats one problem I have, I cant seem to find a time to use Dtilt. That doesnt seem like a big deal, but I use it with Marth qyite a bit. Im not good. Help?
thats like saying you can't find a time to dash, or WD, or DED, or edgeguard, or CC, or shfflc aerials (hint hint, all times when you can use d-tilt). Pretty much, if you have any room to use it... use it.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I believe you're supposed to use the d-tilit after a backwards WD. I always find myself using it after CCing. If I can get lucky and get some knockback out of my shffl'd f-airs i can get off a d-tilt into another f-air. I think the dtilit is a big part of Roy's aerial game as it pops them up allowing you to get some nice aerial attacks on them and end a decent combo with a f-smash. I'm trying to look for a good way to use Roy's spike, but I'll have to get back to you guys on that as im not finding anything usefull. Since the lag is so horrible after the attack jumping off and trying to intercept the opponent with the d-air is simply suicide for yourself while popping up the opponent to a safe state, unless you have mastered the spike of course. So if any of you guys can help me with that d-air problem I have I'd appreciate some help. Thx in advanced.

Infamous

Smash Apprentice
hmmm im a roy palyer, maybe i can help you guys a little, yes roy has a not to great air game, but his ground game is just sweet, on the ground i like going in for a dash to ded or a dash attack to get some quick damage in, roys smash is pretty nice compared to most other characters, his dtilt is useful, because it can let fsmash attack in, and always use his conter when you know your gonna get meteor smashed, because it usually does about 50% to the unsuspecting meteor smahe, f it doesn;t kill them.
if you play against someone who likes to droge behind you alot, use a dsmah and it will get them everytime.
hope i could've been some hhelp

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
So far all true, Roy's air game seems to be good, but it is really hard to master. Most of his shuffling game needs a lot of practice for speed, accuracy (sweet spot or not), and right attacks. Up-air isn't bad, but you need to hit the right spot to keep them up, f-air could be good if there is no DI, b-air and d-air don't work and are too slow after. D-tilt works wonders for combos, Roy can pretty much launch anyone to a quick n-air or u-air (2-3 hit combo) from like 0%-~100% (depends on character). I have a little easy 9 hit combo with Roy which mixes Roy's ground game with little shuffling. You can get the video here.
Credit to losvedir for hosting!
http://web.mit.edu/losvedir/Public/

KaLIbeR

Smash Apprentice
well im not gonna read what anyone else put but imma give you my opinion
**** i like roys air game
i think its pretty good against fast fallers fox, falco, and falcon
get them to a good 70-90 dmg
shffl fair a few times once or twice or hell take em to the edge
and just fsmash from there:)
shffl'n nair against ganon early on works wonders

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I found that shff'ling is less effective against Space Animals because they fall too fast for you to follow up the aerial. Shff'ling is bettera gainst floaties and dtilt is better vs. fast fallers. Especially since the Space Animals are too fast for them to get hit by the fair a lot.

ShadowBlitz

Smash Apprentice
Roy's aerials can prove quite useful if you know how to use them right. This takes quite a long time to master though. Although, like some people said, mix the aeriels with ground attacks. Try connecting a few moves that might lead to an F-smash. His D-tilt is proven quite useful too, it has quite a bit of knockback/damage, and it has decent speed.

Top Bottom