• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you a character loyalist?

D

Deleted member

Basically, do you main a certain character throughout most if not all the Smash games, or play the reps of a specific series throughout the games?

This is pretty much me with the Kirby series. I've pretty much made a promise to myself that I'd main the Dream Land crew (:4kirby:,:4metaknight:,:4dedede:) in every Smash entry from Brawl onwards just because I love the characters so much, and the Kirby games have helped me alleviate my struggle with depression and just give me something to lift off all the troubles I have to deal with and enjoy how lighthearted and innocent the world of Dream Land is. I love the universe, the creativity that's pouring in almost every corner throughout the levels, the music, just everything. Kirby is gr8 and you should think so too. Not to mention Kirby's Adventure, Nightmare in Dream Land, Air Ride, Epic Yarn and Return of Dream Land are some of my favorite games ever.

But aside from that, are you somebody who stays loyal to your main from game to game? Is there a specific reason why? I'd love to hear from you guys!

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I've been a Zelda fan since I was a kid so Link's honestly been my childhood hero since the beginning lol. When I found out he was in the Smash series I was incredibly excited and happy.

Though I'm sure everyone knows he wasn't exactly the most viable character competitively so that's why he's usually overlooked. But despite that I've stayed true to him and mained him in every game because he's my all time absolute favorite nintendo character.

So yes I am a character loyalist because I play this game to have fun and also represent a series that played a huge role for me as a kid.

D

Deleted member

Nope, unless the character hasn't changed too much and is still top tier which doesn't happen often.
Pikachu mains probably have it good in that regard then. Top tier character in every game other than Melee, and even then he was top 10 there.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
It's not necessarily character loyalty, but I've mained Fox from the beginning just because he fits my playstyle. It helps that I happen to like the series a lot too, and the more I play him in smash, the more attached I get to his series of games. Smash Wii U is probably a big reason why I'm hyped for SF Zero.
The Fire Emblem series is where character loyalty comes in. FE is my favorite video game series period - every title has gameplay, character development and plot that exceeds my expectations every time. That's why I love playing FE characters - because I'm attached to them as I play - I know their backstory, their character and everything they've been through in their games. It's like I'm thinking "Look Roy, if you can overthrow an Empire and kill a freaking dragon with a ragtag group of warriors, you can beat Donkey Kong in a single duel."

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
2004-2006 Melee I played Dr. Mario then he was removed for brawl. I wouldn't just play Mario because he's too 'boring' and I missed tornado.

2011-2014 Brawl I played Pit and IC's. IC's of course dropped for 4 (which still breaks my heart) and Pit changed.

I've never had the chance but if IC's make it into smash 4 i'll become a loyalist for them and put them as my main for all games except 64.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
I usually play a character because of who they are, more than how they play, and I adapt my playstyle accordingly to do best with said character. There were some characters that I didn't touch until I actually went back to their games and got a feel for their character.

Once that's been established, I usually just play as them from that point onward in every Smash game that they appear in.
So, yep I guess I am a character Loyalist.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
I can only think of a select few characters that are actually good throughout the entire series, Fox is one.

D

Deleted member

I can only think of a select few characters that are actually good throughout the entire series, Fox is one.
I would say Falcon and Mario but both of them were bottom-tier characters in Brawl, lol

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I play Bowser in every game other than 64, maining him in Smash 4 and Project M, and previously maining him in Melee as well. I usually play Melee, where I also play Jigglypuff and Fox, both of which are characters I play in every single Smash game.
I would consider myself a character loyalist, but only because once a certain character's playstyle and moveset appeals to me, it sticks.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I'm mostly open to using just about any character I wind up enjoying, but I definitely feel a sense of loyalty to certain characters throughout the series, and even feel guilty if one of said characters no longer seems to match my play-style, perhaps one exception being Melee Fox.

My one and only main in 64 was Jigglypuff (one of my favourite Pokemon at the time); just couldn't get enough of the character, and loved blowing 'Jigglypuff is garbage' theories out of the water among my circle of friends/acquaintances. However, I didn't really feel the same connection with Jiggs in Melee or Brawl, which kind of got to me.

The character who fit my style the most in Melee was Fox; I enjoyed discovering new tech (I didn't have access to this kind of knowledge on the internet, so had to figure out what I could on my own) and gaining what little reputation I could in my area. Mewtwo and Pichu became my Jigglypuffs for fun, since everyone pretty much agreed they weren't very good.

Then came Brawl with all its tripping glory and Fox issues (from a Melee-minded view)... So, being a fan of the Pikmin franchise, I picked up Olimar and found he took the place of my Melee Fox pretty well! Brawl, not too surprisingly, was the first entry in which I felt I could play more than one character well enough to beat the better players in my area, so I also picked up Dedede, Ness, and the ICs. Both Olimar and Dedede were characters I was particularly excited about seeing since I liked them for their personalities, and I always liked the ICs, but couldn't play them well in Melee. Ness, well, I just wound up enjoying the fact I could play him at all, unlike in previous entries.

So now in Smash 4, I've made a return to my precious Jiggs, which is very fun, but can also be frustrating at times for sure. However, when it comes to secondaries, I've had some trouble deciding, and honestly a lot of it has to do with those senses of character loyalty and guilt I mentioned at the outset... I find I'm best with certain characters who are high on the tier list, like Yoshi, but I don't necessarily want to play them because of other characters I used to use? Also some like Pit, who has a more innocent personality in the Japanese version than he does in the American version; I can't help feeling a little bleh about winning with a character who only rubs their victory in my opponent's face with some lame verbal jab.

tl;dr
Yes, I'm a character loyalist, but in my case I feel it's almost been more of a hindrance to my actual play/ability than anything else.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
hmm im not sure if i am a full loyalist. haha

if i was i would have stayed maining Sheik for smash 4 from Brawl...but then again...I definitely still stick with my Gurl Zelda, so there is that.Ever since i was a young pup, I've always liked zelda because she was a princess that had magics and turned into a nimble ninja rather Peach with...toad. and as time and years went on especially now in the competitive scene, She is stil poop teir, and slow and kinda awful. But here i am with Her still alot of the time. xD

Though my preference over sheik probably comes from the notion that 'there is enough sheik mains out there' lmao And winning with this highly disregarded character that I genuinely enjoy, is just as satisfying if not more so. So its hard to say if im really loyal or just a sadistic, wannabe- low teir hero- elitest- douchebag. ^-^

D

Deleted member

if i was i would have stayed maining Sheik for smash 4 from Brawl...but then again...I definitely still stick with my Gurl Zelda, so there is that.Ever since i was a young pup, I've always liked zelda because she was a princess that had magics and turned into a nimble ninja rather Peach with...toad. and as time and years went on especially now in the competitive scene, She is stil poop teir, and slow and kinda awful. But here i am with Her still alot of the time. xD

Though my preference over sheik probably comes from the notion that 'there is enough sheik mains out there' lmao And winning with this highly disregarded character that I genuinely enjoy, is just as satisfying if not more so. So its hard to say if im really loyal or just a sadistic, wannabe- low teir hero- elitest- douchebag. ^-^
I feel you there. It's great to be a low-tier hero. Dedede's considered by a great amount of people to be bottom 10 or bottom 5, but I'm never dropping him as far as I'm concerned. I love the big oaf too much to not play him, especially since I have such a blast whenever I whip him out for battle.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman

Yep, you pretty much summed up a lot of my feelings on the matter as well. I discovered tier lists waaaay late in my years of Smash, but even before that discovery, I enjoyed and was drawn to characters who were generally frowned upon (To quickly clarify some of my choices, I was unaware Fox was top tier in Melee; I was the only person in the area who could do anything with him it seemed, and Olimar, most people I knew thought he was garbage...). Now that I know about tier lists, I've developed some kind of sick phobia toward any who are high tier, it's kind of ridiculous! LOL Like, I'll play Doc over Mario any day, but not just because of the tier list thing, also due to genuinely enjoying low-tier characters more than the highs...

D

Deleted member

I guess I'm one. I play as certain characters because I like them as characters and the games that they come from.
I don't pick characters solely based on what their tier placement is. If a character I like is high tier, great. If they are low tier, great.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Yup
I play characters from games I enjoy firstly, then if a certain playstyle from another appeals to me I may pick them up. Otherwise I stick with Mother characters so long as they're in the game.

StriderTheReaper

Smash Rookie
NNID
StriderHedgehog
3DS FC
2423-3029-0103
I'll admit that I have a somewhat overly loyal tie to :wolf:. Even though his specials and colour scheme became alternates for :4fox:, I vowed to not make a replacement Wolf and would instead wait for Wolf to come back as DLC. I don't even go near the 'Wolf' colour.

Still waiting.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well Link has been one of my main man since Smash 64 (along with Mario and Fox) and he still is in Sm4sh. I do still play Fox from time to time since I have switched over to Falco (and Wolf in Brawl). Mario, however, I no longer play as him in Sm4sh in automatic favor of Rosalina, who will be the only Mario series rep I'll ever play as.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I'm constantly bouncing from character to character. I had a mewtwo phase and a spacies phase and a lucario phase. If anyone has seen my signature, they know it changes every two weeks . I'm pretty unloyal :crying:, but I'm still kinda new to all this competitive stuff, so maybe I'll be a more faithful player once I git gud.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm loyal but I'm also willing to try new characters. Since I'm newer to competitive Smash, it's hard for me to say I'm truly loyal to anyone, but I do play Captain Falcon in every iteration, as well as Ike in every version that he appears in. That being said I love playing other characters, and don't like to limit myself.

Morbi

Scavenger
I include my sister in this post because her selections are a lot more interesting. I, more or less, maintained the same list of characters and when a new game came out, instead of using newer characters, I started to appreciate older ones.

Absolutely, before I played Smash, the only Nintendo games that I played were Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Stadium, and Star Fox 64. So, naturally, Link and Jigglypuff were the characters that I gravitated towards whereas my sister, with the same prior experience, took the opposite approach. She still leaned on Pikachu at first, but she branched out to Kirby and Yoshi which subsequently enabled us to want to purchase Yoshi's Story and Kirby: The Crystal Shards. We sort of took turns with Fox and Donkey Kong. It felt a little weird playing as Fox because we were so used to him being in his Arwing.

Melee came around and I picked up Ganondorf and Zelda/Sheik. Fox became more of my sister's character and I learned Falco because he was my favorite member of team Star Fox. Other than that, I dabbled in Mewtwo for fun but I was never particularly adept at utilizing his move-set. Yet again, my sister took the opposite approach. She dropped Donkey Kong for Bowser and picked up Marth and Roy which in turn got us into Fire Emblem.

Brawl was sort of depressing for both of us. She no longer had fun with Pikachu, her main. And I no longer had fun with Link, my main. I sort of shunned the newcomers and went back to revisit Donkey Kong and add Samus to my repertoire. For a short time, Lucario helped me get into Brawl, but it was not long before I almost exclusively used Falco for singles, Sheik for doubles, and Ganondorf in free for all. My sister, for the the third time, took the opposite approach. She dropped Pikachu and Kirby for Pokemon Trainer and Ike. She also added Pit to her list of characters which in turn conceived a desire in us to purchase Uprising once it released.

At this point, I still used Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, Sheik, Falco, Samus, and Donkey Kong fairly regularly. My sister used Bowser, Pit, Pokemon Trainer, Marth, and Ike fairly regularly.

Smash 4 released and I was happy. A lot of the characters I wanted made it into the game; however, spoiler alert, I do not use anyone I thought I would use. Instead, I still use Jigglypuff, Sheik, Falco, Samus, Donkey Kong, and I revisited Link and welcomed him back to my frequently used characters. I dropped Ganondorf because I do not play doubles or free for all any more and he is not viable by any stretch of the imagination. Speaking of which, I still occasionally use Mewtwo for fun. Just like in Melee. My sister embraced some newer characters such as Robin and Greninja. But at this point, that is nothing new and she transitioned more into a character loyalist as well.

Tl;dr: I always play Donkey Kong, Legend of Zelda or Pokemon characters in addition to some space related characters (Falco and Samus... just Falco and Samus).
My sister started with Donkey Kong and Pokemon but branched out to Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus. But soon after, decided that branching out was too tiresome.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I always play the characters I like (as in, characters I liked prior to getting in Smash) and I prefer to main different characters in each installment.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yep. Maining Yoshi throughout even the lowest points(hey Brawl) it's nice to see he's finally amongst the top dogs.

Smash is responsible for making me even like Yoshi in the first place. Something just jelled and I became a big fan of him as a result.

Of course should we EVER get a playable Toad(Mii outfit aside) he'll have to share that position as my main. I only play characters I like after all, regardless of how good or competitive they are.

I think I am. I've mained Yoshi and Bowser in every Smash game, no matter how terrible they were. I was delighted when I played them first time in SSB4: Both characters finally felt good, after being garbage in Melee and Brawl.

However, after getting used to both finally being good in SSB4, I don't know do I want to main them in next Smash if they're garbage again....

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Despite never having finished the games either of my mains (Toon and Jiggs) originate from, I still use them in every game I have that they're in. I don't care that they're both considered low-mid to low tier in Smash 4, I just have fun playing as them so I use them. I don't really have an attachment to either of them in the games they're in but I love their playstyles and aerial mobility.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
100% loyal. But Diddy was never a bad character in any Smash game, so that's easy. DK is also always a solid secondary. I can say am pretty damn loyal.

Furret24

Smash Master
I'm 100% loyal to :4gaw:.

I bounce around a lot with my secondary though.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if loyalist since I play many characters but I do have some kind of personal reason to play each one of them.

Jigglypuff: She's my favourite smash character, adorable, smooth and graceful in movement. A joy to play.

Mario: My first videogame hero and my favourite nintendo character/series. Only reason I play him really.

Kirby: I ADORE Kirby games, the franchise that doesn't really have bad games! always imaginative, amazing music and lovely colors! Kirby is also such a cute motherscratcher.

Villager: I fell in LOVE with new leaf and just because of that I can't help myself but play some Villager.

The rest of characters I might play as is either because they are fun or I have some mild liking towards them.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I've always picked my mains kinda weirdly. I draw from a smattering of games... Lucas, Lucario, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Sheik. They are all completely different, and perhaps it's just because I like their game of origin. However, I'm a Lucario main in all four of his versions.

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Fox was my main in 64 because I had fun playing Star Fox 64 and I was so happy to see him in Smash 64 then Melee came along and I was overjoyed to see Peach and she has been my main ever since, with Fox being my second main except in brawl Wolf was my second main and I immediately fell in love with his over all design and voice. I also play as other fav characters like Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy and Lucario.

Here's my list of mains and secondaries throughout the games.

Smash 64: :fox64:, :jigglypuff64:
Melee: :peachmelee:, :foxmelee:, :jigglypuffmelee:, :mewtwomelee:, :roymelee:
Brawl: :peach:, :wolf:, :fox:, :lucario:, :jigglypuff:, :zelda:, :falco:
Sm4sh: :4peach:, :4fox:, :4lucario:, :4mewtwo:, :4jigglypuff:, :4feroy:, :4bowser:, :4yoshi:, :rosalina:, :4roy:,:4falco:, :4littlemac:, :4zelda:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I'm definitely a loyalist. I used to play Link in Smash 64, but since Melee's release, my main is :4zelda:, and I never changed that. I also play :4link: and :4ganondorf: since 64 / Melee. I even played them in Brawl, and I enjoyed it! I even managed to win two Brawl 2 players tournaments with a Zelda / Samus team... But it was some low level, local tournament.

In Smash 4, I guess that I'm less loyal to :4palutena: that I thought I would be. But I will definitely be loyal to :4robinf: (second character in Smash 4) in future installments.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I pretty much main Roy for almost every Smash game he's in because I love his rush down, hard hitting playstyle & that I really liked FE6 along with Roy's personality in that game; how he's thrusted to lead an army at the age of 15 against a maniac who's hell bent on commiting mass genocide in his world and how he's optimistic through it all.

In Melee however, I mostly use Marth competitively due to Roy being one of the many characters who were victims of poor balancing in that game though I still use Roy a lot in the game. As for 64 and Brawl, I tend to use many different characters. I use Link and C. Falcon in 64 a lot and I use Ike in Brawl for beating 1-P Modes on Intense. Generally speaking, I tend to prefer sword users mostly because it resonates well with me.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You could say that. I'm going to main Mario, Jigglypuff and Dr. Mario till the end of time. Those three will be set in stone for as long as I keep playing Smash. Other than that, I'm an open book, with the exception of 64, where I only played Mario and no one else. Melee I picked up Doc, Brawl Ike and Jigglypuff, and in 4 I picked up Luigi, Falco, Rosalina, and Roy. Everybody else in interchangeable, but those three are forever.
At some point I could end up maining Lucario if he ever gets reverted back to how he played in Brawl a little.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
As much as I want to, I cycle through mains every once in a while. I don't know why; I just do.
I used to main Robin for being my favorite character in Awakening.
I currently play Samus for my first Metroid game (Metroid Fusion) being a great game.
I also play Wario for his Wario Land games, but Sakurai's pretending that doesn't exist. Wario Ware's pretty good too.
I sometimes play Bowser for his role in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.
Point being, I only seriously play characters I like because of their background.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I mess around with the PSI BOIS and Mario (love his skillset and base) in every Smash game they are in.

I plan on making Toon Link, Marth, Roy, and Lucina characters I use a lot ever since he was revealed in Brawl. Especially Toon Link.

But past that, nope. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom