• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are some characters "brainless"?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I know that these characters had a lot of thought put into them, but some of my friends feel like some are brainless due to having strings like Fox with Utilt, Sonic is Spindash>Nair, and Diddy Kong with Uair. Do you think this is true?

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Some characters require more precise imput, more thought into moves. The more the character has true combo the more brain dead I feel the character is. Sheik and Diddy are the prime exemple. Follow up from grabs are even more brain dead than normal combo.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Eh, I wouldn't say a character is completely brainless, but some combos that characters can perform are so easy it hurts. Things such as spamming the same move over and over again and calling that a combo can easily lead to the interpretation that a character can be "brainless" at times.

However, if you want to have a particular finesse with a character, you most certainly cannot act in a brainless manner if you ever want to be good.

D

Deleted member 269706

There are some characters who are just way easier to pick up, in my opinion ZSS and Diddy are the prime examples. That being said, there is a learning curve for every character, no character is gonna be perfect right off the bat. It may be easier to pick a character up and get good after a few games, but to actually master a character takes a long time, regardless of the character that you're playing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I so want to make a joke about R.O.B. not having a brain but I won't. Whoops.

I don't really see any character as "brainless," personally. Certain moves in particular are debatable and I won't get into that since it's off topic, but I wouldn't say entire characters are "brainless" in this game.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Eh, I wouldn't say a character is completely brainless, but some combos that characters can perform are so easy it hurts. Things such as spamming the same move over and over again and calling that a combo can easily lead to the interpretation that a character can be "brainless" at times.

However, if you want to have a particular finesse with a character, you most certainly cannot act in a brainless manner if you ever want to be good.
Reminds me of Mario and his D-throw > U-tilts all day (with U-air being an extension of the combo) at low percents, and then here's Diddy with bananas, D-throw to U-air all the time.
While it is true that some characters are easier to pick up and to be effective with, maybe I'm just annoyed with some of the characters. I personally don't know who's truly easy to use since I only use Pit and Palutena, but I suppose I do get annoyed with Mac mainly because of the KO punch and him having super armor on all Smashes, which tends to make it hard to punish.

Maybe one day I'll experiment with other characters and see what happens.

Top Bottom