• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are side B edge cancels possible in PM?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Luigi's edge cancel their side B's all the time in Melee, as it makes onstage recovery loads safer. Whenever I try to do it in PM though Luigi slides his face across the platform, then falls of but still in the side B pose, and it takes a while to get out of whereas it should instantly cancel. So as the title alludes to- is it possible to do this trick properly in PM?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'm not certain. I haven't played Melee Luigi in a long time, so I don't remember just well they worked. I haven't actually checked PM's frames, but I've assumed it was still useful, so I always go for it, even though it does feel laggier than I recall. At first I thought it had been improved in the update to 3.5, but I'm not so certain now.
I'll try to look into the PM frames later, it would help if someone could check Melee.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Double posting with the PM stuff.

Green Missile's aerial ending animation (SpecialAirSEnd) lasts 30 frames, during which he cannot act. If Luigi lands before that animation begins, he goes directly into 41 frames of land lag (SpecialSEnd). However, if he slides off the ground during frame x of SpecialSEnd, then he transitions into frame x+1 of SpecialAirSEnd.
In other words, if you edge-cancel GM, then Luigi has (at least) 30 frames between touching the ground and being able to act. The "at least" comes in if he slides off after 30 frames of SpecialSEnd have already passed, in which case he can act immediately upon leaving the ground. If you fails the edge cancel and he doesn't slide off, he faces an additional 11 frames of lag.
I didn't think to check in game, but it should be that if Luigi lands during frame x of SpecialAirSEnd, he goes into frame x+1 of SpecialSEnd.

So, if you want to cut off the falling portion of GM, then you want to space it so that Luigi lands on his first frame of descent, and thus starts SpecialSEnd. To shave off even more time, he should slide off during the first 30 frames. I should probably have checked to see how long GM falls and when it loses its hitbox, but it should still almost always be worth landing early (bar mixups), in which case it's always best to edge-cancel the landing, preferably sliding off close to frame 30 without going over.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Hmm, if I understand correctly it seems like it's not as good as in Melee but still a good deal better than not doing it. Thanks for the detailed writeup and testing!

Top Bottom