• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Appropriate times to barrel cancel

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Appropriate timing of barrel canceling? i know its useful but when are good opportunities to actually use such a thing. i have noticed it works wonders on projectile spammers such as pickachu and link but can it be useful if lets say a snake ftilts u while barreling? it hits him most of the time but i was wondering is it better off taking the hit and barrel canceling or just shield and punish o-o. i would normally shield and punish but i want to kinda mix it up for lolz since it works sometimes when the mighty barrel wishes. oh so many a game i won with barrel canceling but oh the same for losses lol mindgames. what do u guys take on barrel canceling besides against ur bananas and what not

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
I only use it strictly for projectiles (mostly).

Lets say you barrel and snake hits you with ftilt, you take about 20 damage right there. How much do barrels do like 18%? Obviously it wouldn't be worth it, not to mention the fact that the barrels might not even hit.

Now for something like a pikachu jolt which does about 7% it makes a lot more sense to barrel it because 18 > 7. Also, at pikachu jolt range it is unlikely you will get hit with a follow up attack so it is a safe option.

Diddy's bananas are one of the best things to barrel imo because not only is the damage ratio good, but also you "cancel" the slip animation you would normally go into. So even if the barrels don't hit your opponent they won't be able to follow up as well.

As for normal ground attacks that do like 10% or whatever I still wouldn't barrel cancel because it is likely you will get hit with a follow up attack while your in "my barrels just went off" lag.

Conclusion: "barrel canceling" is good for projectiles and not much else. The chances of them hitting are random and a savvy opponent can just shield them anyway. The risk outweighs the award for most attacks.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
alright so me taking chances isnt a good thing guess i was really lucky those few matches o-o shouldnt be reckless with it then. ty for advices.

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
i occasionally use it for robs neutral air.. wonder if their is a faster way of getting out the barrels then waiting for your slide animation to finish before hitting up b :p

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
I also use it some on certain attacks that send the enemy past you (Wario's bike, Squirtle's Withdraw, etc.). Sends em past you and sets up a bit for the barrel

mastermiind

Smash Apprentice
hey has any1 tried this u know how u can use up b out of shiled well how about sc->upB this would probaly giv u less animation frames to bring out the up b

DFEAR

Smash Hero
it doesnt seem to be faster o-o i cant tell the difference i need a marth/mk to upb me or something >_<. oh btw

barrel>reflector. :3

Top Bottom