• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

approching with ike

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
Have you tried the patented Quick Approach technique? Its works great. Simply space yourself from your opponent so you Side B and don't hit (landing right in front of your opponent) and you can get off a couple jabs or a ftilt out really fast. Works great as a setup. Or you can go for a utilt after the Quick Approach. And your opponent doesn't expect it because Ike is kinda slow...

Gill

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't.

Win by escaping. SLAM that power button.

Alright seriously trying to be helpful, approach with short hopped and fast falled nairs. Theres no lag from landing with them, so if they run in after you land, AAA them. Don't use counter ever unless they're extremely obvious. Ike's counter blows.

Daft

Smash Rookie
Side B (miss if your opponents is good enough to counter/shield/dodge), dodge roll, up or side smash.

If you're playing a really quick opponent I would replace the smash with a counter. If they're over eager it's an easy 15% damage.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
QD approach is often the best, you can alos use it airborn to get around as well.

Just be careful in 4 player matches where a random falling or knocked opponent can block your approach.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
you could try dashing then use counter
that would catch epople off guard
but don't make it too predictable

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
The best two approaches are:
The Grand Viper, aka, a quick draw that lands just short of them, followed up by a AAA Combo, Utilt, or grab

RAR+Bair: Yeah, it's quick, has decent damage, and tons of knockback, it can KO

Other approches that I sometimes use(Keep the game fresh):

SH+Fair, slow, but huge range and covers below you as well, good damage and KB

SH+Nair, even larger range (is lik 270 degrees around you), but a lot less knock back and damage than the fair, but comes out faster.

the Grand Viper is the hardest to master, but when you do, if combined with other approaches, it makes your game a lot better.

NyTeStRiDeR

Smash Apprentice
People overrate the quick draw, its fast but very predictable.Although it is not as situational as other moves that he has, it is still a situational move.

I would say for approaches,

short hop to f-air
short hop to n-air
walk(not run) up to them, prepared to block or f-tilt when in range

Rabble2

Smash Rookie
i run and sidestep up to them then grab into a combo
it sometimes works, so i only do it sometimes
the dash attack also moves you a decent amount forward so people might not expect it
jumping up at them and then bdown will frustrate them too
i usually jump double jump, then fastfall dair

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
dont do this overly often but short hops into n specials throw people off guard alot... but you have to time it so if your hit during your approach you wont flinch (ie super armor move)

J-mar

Smash Rookie
I like Ike's uair as another approach. It's good because if you do it right it has a great horizontal reach and isn't as obvious as some of his other moves. To do it just short hop and start the move then fast fall when the sword is just over his head. If you fast fall too early then the move won't activate. Just a switch up suggestion.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
People overrate the quick draw, its fast but very predictable.Although it is not as situational as other moves that he has, it is still a situational move.

I would say for approaches,

short hop to f-air
short hop to n-air
walk(not run) up to them, prepared to block or f-tilt when in range
I like this man's words. Ike users are getting far too ground based, and not abusing his killer aerial game. Fairs are the ultimate spacing move (think Marth in melee, only LONGER). His Nair is ridiculously fast, and can be followed by Jabs, or a Shield Grab of your own, depending on how your opponent reacts to your aerials.

Also, doing a defensive, but slow approach can be just as effective, full of Short Hop Airdodges and Spot Dodges.

Mixing it up is extremely important. Always using the same approach gets you mauled... everytime!

DuB 22

Smash Cadet
I find the Grand Viper approach is not as good as people claim. QD to U-tilt, it's sloooow and easy to get hit out of. I recommend using it when your opponent is on a platform and you QD --> U-tilt under them. QD isn't horrible either. QD --> AAA is very reliable and a good way to rack damage up. However, your best approach is going to be the FF Nairs and the FF Fairs.

Top Bottom