• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Wolf

AUS

Smash Cadet
Been playing more PM as of later and have learned some nice combos once I get the hit in, however I've been having trouble approaching as of late, anyone got any tips on how to approach with Wolf?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Been playing more PM as of later and have learned some nice combos once I get the hit in, however I've been having trouble approaching as of late, anyone got any tips on how to approach with Wolf?
Use various laser wavelands to open people up/create space. Approach moves = nair, dash atk, dair, rar bair, sh shine... just about half the moveset. Watch some good wolf players to get some ideas. wot wolf players m8? Chillin, rat, scythe, oksas, and more wao yes wao yes, there are more.

Sail

Smash Cadet
I like SH nair, dair fair, or run in shine/grab/dash attack. Also SH laser waveland works well into grab or something (not everytime like melee falco DD after works too).

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
His dash attack is pretty insane, and a WD fsmash works for me
Dash Attack is not a good approach, very bad on shield. Like people have said use lasers to your advantage in various ways. N-air is the best because it's the safest on shield, and if you do manage to hit shield, follow up with shine-grab. Poking their shield with d-air safely is also a good option. Use dash attack cancelled pivot grabs if you really want to mix things up. If all else fails, movement.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack's use is mostly to extend comboes or catch people off of a poor approach, although there are many other moves or options for punishing poor approaches with Wolf like any aerial, shine, a smash (preferrably not fsmash because it doesn't really combo into other moves and it doesn't kill as well as dsmash) or a grab.

SuperCoffeeBros

The Better, Faster, Cheaper Custom Controller
I feel dash attack is a poor approach. If they shield it is almost a for sure grab. I think baits is what wolf needs to get his combos started. A well timed f-tilt can also stop others approaches and get wolf started.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Hi when I try to laser wavedash with wolf, it always seems like I can either waveland directly down, or just move wolf forward (like when you just hold your analog stick to the side in the air). What am I doing wrong?

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Hi when I try to laser wavedash with wolf, it always seems like I can either waveland directly down, or just move wolf forward (like when you just hold your analog stick to the side in the air). What am I doing wrong?
You gotta get used to the timing of the waveland, the input is similar to that of a wavedash, but the timing is very different. It's when you're close to landing you do the input. Wolf's is tricky, maybe try some wavelanding without the laser so you get the idea first.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
So just to make sure: Wavelanding= jumping->airdodge diagnolly->land ( basically the same thing as wavedashing although u do it from the air)

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
So just to make sure: Wavelanding= jumping->airdodge diagnolly->land ( basically the same thing as wavedashing although u do it from the air)
That's pretty much it yup. You sound like you're new? Are you in the Wolf Skype Group? If you would like to be just add me on skype 'razorzxz', we'd love to help you out if you aren't here already.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I just started with wolf after my friend showed me some videos of chillin :)
Thanks, but I don't have a skype yet. When I do I'll definitely join!

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Nice! You know any good chillin videos that I should watch? I watched the chilled and M2K one before VGBootCamp removed it.
Most videos of Chillin are pretty outdated and aren't too worth analysing. He does analysis videos on his twitch stream from his viewers, he's reviewed mine before and I believe he has one on his YouTube channel. There aren't really any great Wolfs to watch at the moment.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
A quick question: Is it bad to depend on shines and grabs to set up combos? A lot of the time, I shine out of shield than go for the aerial or spike.
And what did he say about your wolf?

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
A quick question: Is it bad to depend on shines and grabs to set up combos? A lot of the time, I shine out of shield than go for the aerial or spike.
And what did he say about your wolf?
It's totally situational, if you see a situation were an aerial will lead into more combos and more damage go for the aerial. Also take into account percent and weight. If you aren't too sure I think shine into pillar is the best option; but the more you play the better options you will pick.

Chillin thought my Wolf was pretty good, he said I had a better laser game than him and he said he couldn't comment on much really; he thought we played the character very similarly. We're on a similar level really, but he's possibly got more experience with Smash in general.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
You're really good, and you have an amazing pressure game! One question: Don't see you dash dancing much, and almost know wavedashes. I know wolfs wavedash is pretty short, but where do you use it? Might be a bit nooby because I just got in the competitive scene about a month ago :)

Last edited:

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
You're really good, and you have an amazing pressure game! One question: Don't see you dash dancing much, and almost know wavedashes. I know wolfs wavedash is pretty short, but where do you use it? Might be a bit nooby because I just got in the competitive scene about a month ago :)
Thanks man! Also I think I was dash-dancing and wave-dashing quite a lot. As for how to use it, hell that's some question. Kind of too much to cover so I'll just outline them.

Dash-dancing - Used as a movement option to move quickly and to bait attacks and suss out your opponents movements and patterns. Also used to space options the other opponents attack range.

Wave-dashing - Also used as a movement option. Helps you space yourself correctly against your opponent, whether you need to get out of the way of their attack; or get in range for yours. Can be used for mindgames and for several other smaller reasons.

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I found that dash dancing is really important with marth, but it's seems much more difficult for me to do it with wolf, same as wave dashing. I also play Lucas and he seems really easy to dash dance and waved ash with. Is it because of different weights and fall speeds?
Didn't really notice you dash dancing and wave dashing, might have been going to fast for my noobs eyes :)

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
Yeah I found that dash dancing is really important with marth, but it's seems much more difficult for me to do it with wolf, same as wave dashing. I also play Lucas and he seems really easy to dash dance and waved ash with. Is it because of different weights and fall speeds?
Didn't really notice you dash dancing and wave dashing, might have been going to fast for my noobs eyes :)
Every character basically just has different dash lengths. Some are just easier. For wavedashes it can depend on weight and jumpsquat frames etc. For example Bowser's timing for a wavedash is slow because he has a large jumpsquat.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
So is wave dashing forward instead of dashing better? I noticed you did that a lot
Depends on the situation. Wavedashing into an attack is much better for two reasons; it gets you in range and you can't instantly attack out of a dash (unless it's a dash attack).

Sur Fartsalot

Smash Apprentice
I know my playing skills aren't perfect, but do you think that you land on the stage too much? It seems like you go for the sweet spotted b a lot.
Just some advice if you care to hear it.

TimeMuffinPhD

NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I know my playing skills aren't perfect, but do you think that you land on the stage too much? It seems like you go for the sweet spotted b a lot.
Just some advice if you care to hear it.
Yeah I was aware of that lol. The reason for that being my region don't really counter-act it too often, I've been sweetspotting more often after that set though.

GrubGrub

Smash Apprentice
That's pretty much it yup. You sound like you're new? Are you in the Wolf Skype Group? If you would like to be just add me on skype 'razorzxz', we'd love to help you out if you aren't here already.
Hey I was just lurking in this thread, and as a Wolf PM player I was really interested. I'll add you later today if that's okay, my username is kuraiification ( a little embarrassing but ah well).

Top Bottom