• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching Tips

Project Crysis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cryis45
3DS FC
1521-5275-7397
So I've gotten a few thing down with Zss, but my primary concern is how should I be approaching the enemy. Sometimes I go in with short hop Nairs but i usually get shield grabbed after if they blocked. is there something a bit safer?

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
This thread might end up getting moved, but I'll give some thoughts on this in the meanwhile.

Nair is much, much safer on block if you space it correctly. If they are trying to just shield-grab after each time, space them correctly and punish with tilts and jabs.

Empty hops will also open your opponent up a bit more - if they're just meeting your aerial approaches with shield and succeeding each time, you can break this cycle with different types of approaches and tempo. Mix it up with grabs, try some fakeouts with SH B-Reversed Paralyzers, or approach defensively and see if *they* are going to invite you to stuff their own predictable approaches.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Running and shielding is quite effective in some mus while it goes even further in other MUs where you need to walk and power shIeld.

You can also (depending on stage/character) approach with zair, randomly sometimes find zair to jab on landing effective.

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Yeah running in and shielding is like, the meta for how to approach right now. All the cool kids are doing it. It is also why I sometimes have success with retreating pivot grabs.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
Depends entirely on the matchup. For more physical characters I use some variation of a running approach (shield, dash attack, grab, pivot) or a short hop zair/side B. Short hop side B can be a great approach since you pretty much double the range on your tether, it's difficult to punish if you space it right, and it has a huge hitbox.

For projectile characters lots of short hops and a down B. Don't kick if you're using down B as an approach though, space yourself well, and vary your range. Down B doesn't have to be either long or short, you can move back and forth a bit. This means you can make it look like you're going long, and land short or vice versa, making it difficult to read.

Last edited:
Top Bottom