• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching + Opening Up Our Opponent With Wii Fit Trainer

HonorBasquiat

Smash Rookie
What are some of the better ways to approach open up our opponent with Wii Fit Trainer?

I feel a lot of her normals are not very safe, so sometimes I camp and zone out the opponent until they get more careless about being defenseless up close. I want to open with her grab, but honestly I can't find much to do after her grab, and it doesn't seem like it has a lot of range. Sometimes I open with dash or pivot f tilt and even approach with short hop back air.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Your main approach options are pivot ftilt and RAR b-air (look up reverse aerial rush in the techniques thread on the main board if you're not familiar with this) mixed in with projectiles and roll cancel grabs. WFT's roll cancel grab is really good and she has 2 very decent projectiles so you don't even always have to approach. When you get a grab you either dthrow and chase with a followup (there are no guaranteed combos afaik so be ready to bait and punish an air-dodge) or you can grab release into dash attack (I've heard varying accounts saying this is guaranteed on all characters or guaranteed only on Wario, what I do know is you can't be pummeling when they break out of the grab or you don't get the air grab release).

Utilising your specials is pretty much a must, but I mean to bait the opponent in. I've had a good amount of success baiting an approach with Deep Breathing, then canceling into a shield if I predict an attack or a spotdodge for grabs. I normally grab OoS because of how great Bthrow is for spacing, but SHFFNair is okay OoS too. Smashes aren't usually safe for obvious reasons (WFT's smashes all have painfully punishable startup), but either hit of Ftilt is really good. BReversed Sun Salutation is also great.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You have projectiles, don't approach.

You have projectiles, don't approach.
Though if you don't have a fully charged SS on deck and the opponent is below all of the standard arcs for header you're put into a situation where you might have to approach. Depending on the character, you're going to be put under pressure you can't handle very easily. Your options are then limited to Ftilt and Bair, so approaching is going to be something you'll want to do in order to open up more options for yourself and get back into your comfort zone. I guess you could also do something wacky like the back hit of Jab 1, but

You know

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
@ AvariceX AvariceX I'll try it out

Edit: @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans then yeah I'd say Bair and Nair when they're in an arc above you since it has a nice hitbox, but would you really say ftlilt that often? Think it's better as a baited setup or gtfo move but I mean idunno

Last edited:
Oh I didn't mean when they're above you, I meant like if they're on the ground but close enough to you that the ball won't hit them even with the lowest arc. And exactly, since Ftilt is a gtfo move that's when you'd use it :^)

But yeah if they're in the AIR out of the ball's reach then I'd actually say Bair and Uair. Maybe even retreating FFFair since the front hit has nice knockback. Too bad it has **** duration though.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
So far only liking pivots out of Foxtrot and Foxtrotting in general.
Dash dancing is okay I guess but lol circle pad, you'll have to wait for WiiU to take full advantage imo.

OKAY I'm quite liking the perfect pivot when I manage to pull it off, especially since you can jab out of it and any chance for that pitfall is appreciated.

Again perfect pivot isn't easy though, especially because lolcirclepad

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
Utilising your specials is pretty much a must, but I mean to bait the opponent in. I've had a good amount of success baiting an approach with Deep Breathing, then canceling into a shield if I predict an attack or a spotdodge for grabs. I normally grab OoS because of how great Bthrow is for spacing, but SHFFNair is okay OoS too. Smashes aren't usually safe for obvious reasons (WFT's smashes all have painfully punishable startup), but either hit of Ftilt is really good. BReversed Sun Salutation is also great.
...I didn't know you could cancel Deep Breathing with shield. That helps a ton. >.>

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Though if you don't have a fully charged SS on deck and the opponent is below all of the standard arcs for header you're put into a situation where you might have to approach. Depending on the character, you're going to be put under pressure you can't handle very easily. Your options are then limited to Ftilt and Bair, so approaching is going to be something you'll want to do in order to open up more options for yourself and get back into your comfort zone. I guess you could also do something wacky like the back hit of Jab 1, but

You know
SS doesn't need to be charged. It's an great projectile uncharged in both default and custom versions. Still not seeing a reason to approach in a neutral, even game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom