• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching Link?

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
So, as the title says, what's the best option to approach Link in Project M? Every time I try he boomerangs me. For the record, I know how to powershield, more or less. Also, since this is a Marth thread, I'm talking about Marth's approaches, but general tips are also welcome.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
What's helped me the most in the MU is being comfortable with wave landing on platforms and approach from different angles. Baiting grabs, maneuvering around rangs, and just trying to get reads on his intentions. I main Roy so it's a little different but the same fundamentals still apply. Powershielding is less necessary than people think in this MU imo. It's better for you if you jump the boomerang and space yourself from getting grabbed or hit by a bomb. The timing when link cant throw a boomerang is the besttime to go in. Lots of time i'm able to hop in after the initial rang toss, jump and bait the grab, or hop the returning rang and hit him with a Fair or Nair. On a stage like PS2 or Battlefield you'll likely have a platform you could retreat to if you need to hop the returning rang and dont have an opening.

Platforms are your best friend in this MU.

I don't know if there's a clear cut thing to do against link, you just need to play it all by ear and reactions to get the right reads. Overall hop or shield boomerangs, shield or avoid bombs, and take advantage of the opportunities you get to get in on link. Once you get in on him, the only thing to look out for is UpB OOS, Nair, and getting grabbed. Overall he's got a good juggle weight and is easy to combo around a bit.

Last edited:

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
What's helped me the most in the MU is being comfortable with wave landing on platforms and approach from different angles. Baiting grabs, maneuvering around rangs, and just trying to get reads on his intentions. I main Roy so it's a little different but the same fundamentals still apply. Powershielding is less necessary than people think in this MU imo. It's better for you if you jump the boomerang and space yourself from getting grabbed or hit by a bomb. The timing when link cant throw a boomerang is the besttime to go in. Lots of time i'm able to hop in after the initial rang toss, jump and bait the grab, or hop the returning rang and hit him with a Fair or Nair. On a stage like PS2 or Battlefield you'll likely have a platform you could retreat to if you need to hop the returning rang and dont have an opening.

Platforms are your best friend in this MU.

I don't know if there's a clear cut thing to do against link, you just need to play it all by ear and reactions to get the right reads. Overall hop or shield boomerangs, shield or avoid bombs, and take advantage of the opportunities you get to get in on link. Once you get in on him, the only thing to look out for is UpB OOS, Nair, and getting grabbed. Overall he's got a good juggle weight and is easy to combo around a bit.
Thanks! This should be helpful

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Fair swats boomerang. Jumping over the rang is good and can be followed up by a few things: you can go directly into a shield (best if wavelanded) to bait out the attack/rang return and shield grabbing them or WDing OOS into some attack/grab; you can out-prioritize him by attacking with fsmash, ftilt, or dtilt; you can run up an counter ken style if you predict an attack (though this is risky); and you can go back into the air if you see a ground attack coming and start fairing him to death (though you risk the return rang if you don't get him in the air).

Primairly though, always veto maps without platforms. FD should be an auto veto, with other maps like smashville, GHZ, and YI:B being difficult. Platforms allow you to bi-pass the rang play entirely. Savvy Links however know how to trap you above them as he has great tools to deal with those above him.

Top Bottom