• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching as Roy

phantom train

Smash Rookie
I am new to roy and I was wondering how I should be approaching. Shffl nairs and fairs? Dash dance grab? Is it different against projectile users? Thanks in advace.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
it does depend on your opponent. i dont mean to sound mean in contradicting the above post, but fairs and nairs arent all that useful against approaching in neutral, as they are easily beat by CCing or shielding. basically, DD grabs and dtilt are what youre aiming for, as they offer the best set ups and are a couple of the safest moves you have for approaching. try to read your opponents DD patterns, and sneak in dtilts to threaten their space. you can act so quickly out of it that its an extremely safe poke to threaten a grounded opponents space. DED is your best options to deal with aerial approaches because of its speed, coverage, and reward (you can set up tech chases, get regrabs, and deal great damage). grab obviously is your best option to beat out CCing (and a good one at that, since you have the second longest grab reach in the game). when you throw these into your DD game, it becomes a game of knowing where and when you should be covering space. ftilt is also tool to harass at a range, but you wont get too much reward out of it. nair and fair become useful once youve already gotten a hit, as they can cover a great amount of space. theyre too easily beat in neutral though because CCing is a big counterplay for both of them, and theyre also pretty high commitment (22 frames for a SHFF, and 10 frames of landing lag, for 33 frames total). comparing to roys other options (dtilt, grab, DED, ftilt, jab), you can cover the same space with shorter startup, less endlag, and a bigger threat for CC counterplay (dtilt beats ASDI down CC, and grab obviously beats it). once your opponent is under some heat (maybe your force them to start shielding) they can be useful for pressure since you can space them on shield to be safe, depending on your current position.

Top Bottom