• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach?

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody explain to me exactly why captain falcon "has no approach"? I may not be playing pros but it seems that it's pretty reasonable. You just have to throw in a couple of mindgames rather than mindlessly running in with a dash attack every time.

Access Denied

Smash Rookie
Running A, running grab, running sidestep/counter, falcon kick, and on large characters like bowser and dk you can sometimes Nair (sometimes you can even combo a little this way). From the air you can Dair sometimes, or air dodge into buffered F/D/U smash, or jab/grab.

Roager

Smash Ace
Falcon is seen as having no approach because the approaches he has have low priority, can be dodged easily, or have other, exploitable, problems. That, and most of them can be read really easily. And shieldgrabbing is an issue. You get the idea. He has approach potential, but the options have too many problems for the general community to take them seriously.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Approach? In Brawl? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Say "Hi" to the top tier characters in Brawl.

MK has the Whornado and other dumb crap that's too fast to be punished on block. G&W has a really gay B-air and insane DI and other huge attacks that are hard to punish. Snake can Mortar Slide. Marth acts in a few ways similarly to MK but to a lesser degree.

Falcon is terrible at approaching partly because his grab range is bad (his grab range when Dashing is merely OK because he takes a giant step forward before grabbing). Falcon doesn't have many options that are safe on block because his aerials have a hard time hitting anyone that is one the ground in the first place because of bad priority. A lot of the stuff he does on the ground easily gets him shieldgrabbed or punished in other ways too.

These factors don't help especially when you realize that Falcon attacks rather slowly. Much of what he does is easy to see coming, and the lag on a lot of that stuff is also quite bad.

Edds

Smash Ace
nair can be a good approch.
ftilt too. but the startup speed isint actually good so it might not be.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
nair can be a good approch.
ftilt too. but the startup speed isint actually good so it might not be.
The N-air is an OK approach against tall characters. Anyone who isn't at least human sized, don't N-air.

The F-tilt isn't safe on block. It's deceptively laggy indeed. I'd rather U-tilt personally, which has good range and if shielded, can push people away enough to be safe since the ending lag is the lowest on this attack. The D-tilt actually reaches farther than Falcon's other tilts, but it's also very laggy.

Falcon's most reliable approach is the Falcon kick IMO. It's one of his few attacks that has GOOD priority (beats the Mach Tornado ftw), it does like 14%, and goes really fast.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The problem with the B-air is that it easily misses shorter characters. Like most of Falcon's aerials.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
The N-air is an OK approach against tall characters. Anyone who isn't at least human sized, don't N-air.

The F-tilt isn't safe on block. It's deceptively laggy indeed. I'd rather U-tilt personally, which has good range and if shielded, can push people away enough to be safe since the ending lag is the lowest on this attack. The D-tilt actually reaches farther than Falcon's other tilts, but it's also very laggy.

Falcon's most reliable approach is the Falcon kick IMO. It's one of his few attacks that has GOOD priority (beats the Mach Tornado ftw), it does like 14%, and goes really fast.
My matches vs a G&W last night I kept getting this:
Falcon Kick -> opponent shields -> opponent fsmashes me in the back due to large ending lag

I love the Kick, but it only really works defensively to counter/intercept their approaches or to chase them if they poke at you. Shield and backwards roll (if it puts them out of range of course) destroy Kick, as does spot-dodge if they are close enough to the end of the Kick.

As far as ground approaches go, I've been using dash attack the most, which is usually bad against shields, but if they roll backwards I often get a jab combo, and if they spot dodge I'm far enough away that they can't do anything too painful fast enough.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who isn't at least human sized, don't N-air.
Actually theres a neat little technique where you fast fall halfway through a Nair. This causes the second kick to land on all characters (even shorties like jigglypuff) with a lagless land. Also, this is hard to punish cause you can immediately A jab combo when you land which comes out pretty fast.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
Actually theres a neat little technique where you fast fall halfway through a Nair. This causes the second kick to land on all characters (even shorties like jigglypuff) with a lagless land. Also, this is hard to punish cause you can immediately A jab combo when you land which comes out pretty fast.
listen to the man u quoted.... just dont n-air its really not worth it. but if u guys wanna know a cool lil trick u can crouch down or watherver to fake a falcon kick and then run...mindgames:psycho::)

Top Bottom