• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

approach

Puffinator

Smash Ace
it seems like the more i play, the more experience people get against puff, the harder it is to approach.

when they're on the ground, it seems like the only approach method i have is bair. so then i bair them, but it's near immpossible to have a follow up because they're hit too far; or when they have little damage, not hit far enough to follow up. when i approach with bair like this, i almost always LAND THE BAIR after the first one, because otherwise i get punished too easily. If i just bair from the air, they can easily sheild the first one, and then follow up with a move. Either way, if i bair and dont land, or bair and do land, it's like there's no follow up. so then i try my grab game, which works out well sometimes, but if they DI good enough, you're screwed and ur forced to try approaching again. also if u stay in the air too long trying to approach, they outrange u. ik people always say jigglypuff has good range in air, but i find myself getting outranged in the air far too often than i should be. and im pretty shur it's not my spacing problem. I also try to shffled u air with my approach, but i just end up spamming it way too much and it becomes way too predictable. other than grab i dont feel safe approaching with anything else on the ground, except maybe dash attack, which doesnt have that much knock back to it. simply SPAMMING WOP waiting for ur opponent to get caught in it isnt such a great idea.
maybe this thread was made for me just to vent. I think it is. But since i made it, i might as well make it look like i have a question. maybe ur success will make me feel better. how do u usually approach? (it can be any character matchup idc). now that i read over this thread it kindof makes no sense and it is very confusing. oh well. just ignore the first paragraph if u want to, and just discuss ur methods of approach. be more specific than WOP

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
pound it baby. pound is pure sex, massive hit box, insane priority, and it sets em up for comboing and if u lucky a rest. Also a neutral is pretty sexy. An a neutral fast fall a lot of times can get u a grab or a smash off (unless they have high percentage). But jiggs isn't an in your face character, so her approaches consist of like only a few hits, really you just have to be patient and use good mind.

GimpFinkle

Smash Rookie
you should start defensive to aggressive and use a lot of mind games. it sounds like you're very predictable. To put it in better terms: the more you play with friend they learn your style and adapt and overcome everthing you do because you keep doing it. this can be used to your advantage. all you need is some spamming of the mind games and anytime you play your always be unpredicable (no matter how good or bad you are). My favorite mind game is to spam random short hops and fairs in the air with a little bit of wave/dance dashing. if your oponnent know what the jiggs can do they will be cautious. if there not afrade of your mind games, they will probly just throw a crap fair letting you shield grab for an Uthrow rest combo,,,, then i promise they will be cautious of you. Now (when there afraid) comes your time to be preditable. Spam the WoP and do a bunch of bairs, when you feel they have adapted, move in for a shield grab. if your able to combo the grab into a rest DO IT!!!. if there damage is too high just fthrow them off the edge and WoP them far out or do some champion edge guarding. sence they were expecting the "prdictable you", they usually won't adapt as quickly to you new attack, letting you in for the kill.

remember to use the pound on a pressuring player. make sure your rests count or they won't be very afraid to rush you. Also don't do dash grabs, always shield grab.

I hope this helps you, and sry about the bad spelling.

BuBu

Smash Rookie
I agree with the aforementioned advice, and I'd like to add what my way to play is. I like to shorthop sometimes inbetween aerials and just not do anything. It really scares other people sometimes because of the random rests I seem to pull off a lot. Another good mindgame I like to do is just crouch and WD or dash-dance around and wait for them to come to you. Of course it's not good to do these things all the time, so pick your spots wisely. Also, random pounds out of nowhere seem to do me well. Do not, however use pound too much as I'm sure you've heard of good players punishing you for missing (i.e. Fox up-smashing out of shield).

When I actually approach enemies, I like to run towards them and then WD back to see if they try to attack. If they shield, then next time I just run in and grab them. When I come from the air, like I said earlier, I like to short hop towards them and then fast fall back between actually doing bairs and fairs.

Finally, random rests are great for mindgames. After the first rest, your opponent will be really scared of getting near you, especially if you can get off some out of the blue rests (i.e. after they dash attack you while you sheild, you can SH into rest, or if you're crouching and they do the same thing or attempt to grab and miss, you can also SH into rest). I hope this helps you out, and good luck. =)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
IMHO playing defensivly is a good way to bring them out of their shell but I like to go offensive and then wait it out a little so they have to come for me, but as far as approach it depends one what they do inresponse to seeing me do my first jump towards them, assuming the stage is FD.

If they stay on the ground regardless if they come at me or hold back, I tend to Bair myself or go for the Dair and then a jump and another Dair, easy way to rack up damage if they aren't careful. And if you get grabbed, ex. C.Fal D throw, since I'm low in damage if they go for a Fair they get rested. But basically Dair > Dair or even Dair > Pound.

If they jump after you like for a Fair with Falcon or MArth I tend to pound the other way and then Bair which puts them on the defensive. Chase them and at low percentages I like to rest them especially in the match early. Remember Utilt and Pound can lead to some fast rests.

so basically bring them into your element, the air, and just Fux with them. I like doing that after the first attack they usually hit the ground and try to roll away or they get pound'd into the air and I continue my assault, if they feel like they have you figured out, do simple short hops toward them and if they shield just go ahead and let them and next time around change it up. Mindgames mindgames.

RPK

Smash Lord
Triangle jumping, and Air camping FTW. IMO Jigglypuff is like Y.Link. Hes an defensive agressive type character. I just WOP till I find an opening or as some of the people have said, wait for them to come to you. Also as I have mentioned in my guide, though Im not sure now since I havent checked it in months...But anyways a good mind game is Air Dancing or whatever the hell its called...basically a full jump and just tap felt and right. Meh...I dunno...I havent played in a while...Im rusty...really rusty...

Sliq

Smash Master
If they shield a bair, just DI away from them. They may try and hit you, but if you spaced it rigth, you should be out of their range when the shield stun wears off.

Also, you should fastfall if you are not. It makes Jiggs a lot harder to deal with. Short hop auto cancel nair is a good thing to try and trick people into; poke their shield as you land, crouch, rest their missed grab.

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
My favorite approaches are wop (or shffl f'airs) and pound...

As for mindgames, nothing is better than dashing, jumping, and landing in front of them and grabbing their shield. No attack air rush ftw.

Rushing in w/o doing something works sometimes too ;)

Otherwise, as stated, let jiggs shine in her passive agressive ways :)

Top Bottom